It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• bowel changes due to anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2004, 10:48 PM   #1
    gorolltide

gorolltide HB User
    bowel changes due to anxiety

has anyone noticed bowel changes with their anxiety. i am suffering from alot of diarreah lately due to what i think is my anxiety..can anxiety due this?

i am taking lexapro for my anxiety as well? could this have an effect on it? thanks for all input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 03:53 AM   #2
    thelxepeia

thelxepeia HB User
    Re: bowel changes due to anxiety

Yes, anxiety can cause diarrhea and stomach aches, it does for me... I actually found I can control it (depending on how bad it is/the circumstances), just try not to think about the stomach ache or how bad it may turn out to be, distract yourself, put on a movie, something that will catch you attention quick.. I know it sounds incredibly stupid, but this works for me because when it all comes down to it, most of it is in my head.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:20 AM   #3
    jedoz

jedoz HB User

I have stomache issues too when my anxiety flares up. Mine gets so bad that it makes noises out loud luckily it almost sound like hunger so if anyone at work hears it I just say I'm hungry. That goes along with my trying to hide the fact that I'm freaking. I haven't tried any meds other than Xanax this time, I tried Wellbutrin to quit smoking for a about a week and it made me feel worse, I don't know whether or not Lexapro effects the stomache but Anxiety does big time. I'm sorta hanging by a thread myself but this board makes me a feel a lot better.Hang in there!

Old 10-22-2004, 06:24 AM   #4
    lexdc1

lexdc1 HB User

As soon as I get anxious, the bowel changes are there. My anxiety comes and goes, but diarrhea is always there when I'm anxious. Don't worry to much about it, and try to cut back on things like coffee that can irritate your tummy.

Old 10-22-2004, 08:46 AM   #5
    kingam
    (male)

kingam HB User

i developed irritable bowel syndrome when i had anxiety about getting cancer... of course i thought it WAS cancer, but irritable bowel, or stomach irritation and anxiety is quite common..

Old 10-22-2004, 09:50 AM   #6
    RubySlippers
    (female)

RubySlippers HB User

Ditto to all the other posters. Both me and my 15 yr old daughter have trouble in this area. It gets so bad for me that sometimes it will come on all of a sudden and I HAVE to go to the bathroom right away (sorry if to much info ).

My problem ranges from intestinal cramps w/no diarreah to intense pains that come on suddenly when I'm just beginning to get stressed.

I've been tested for irritable bowel and don't have the actual disease, but my bowels do reflect the state of anxiety I'm in at any given time.

I also take Lexapro for anxiety/depression. I haven't noticed the Lexapro intensifying the stomach pains at all. They've been around long before I started taking the Lex, and the Lex hasn't really helped them.

Hope this helps!!
    Angela

Old 10-22-2004, 01:56 PM   #7
    weight39

weight39 HB User

I've been haviing terrible anxiety this summer. And, my bowels have definitely been affected. Sometimes I have constipation. Lately, I've had diarrhea. As well as other digestive issues.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:30 PM   #8
    gympixie

gympixie HB User

YES, I have the same thing. I told my doctor about it, and he said that eating more fiber actually will help. he said that usually, fiber makes people have to use the bathroom more, but when you have IBS from anxiety, the fiber actually helps your stomach and regulate things. I tried it, and it has been working wonders for me. Increase your fiber intake, and see if this helps.
    ~Mandi

Closed Thread