It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• New - Desperatley trying to concieve

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
    SBallott

SBallott HB User
    Question New - Desperatley trying to concieve

Hi everyone......I am so glad I found this board. My husband and I have trying to conceive for about a year now without any luck. We have been having unprotected sex for about 4 years and still have been unable to conceive, even though we were not trying on a regular basis. I find it odd that in 4 years we have been unable to conceive. I have been mestruating regularly throughout those four years. Recently I have missed a couple of periods and when to my ob/gyn to discuss. I told him that we were trying to get pregnant but have not had any luck. He put me on the pill for 6 months - to regulate my period. I will be off the pill by the end of the year. But I really don't know why he put me on the pill as I think it totally defeats the purpose - WE WANT TO GET PREGNANT, NOT PREVENT PREGNANCY. The doctor tells me he understands but he wants to get my period regulated before we "offically" try to conceive. He did not take any tests he just automatically put me on the pill. He tells me that there is still a chance that I may not be regular after i stop taking the pill and if that is the case then we will explore our options. I just don't understand why he didn't put me on Clomid. I asked him about that and he says we will discuss it in January. I have one child from a previous relationship (when I was a teenager, I am now 26) and my husband has two from a previous marraige. So I don't think we have any fertility problems........it's my irregular periods that are causing this problem and my doctor just will not listen to me. Has anyone experienced this situation. Has your docter put you on the pill to regulate your period before he prescribed clomid? Please help.

Sandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
    healthseeker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

healthseeker HB User
    Re: New - Desperatley trying to concieve

Welcome Sandy,

I am sorry for your frustration and I'm afraid that I don't have much to offer. However, you doctor's choice made me think of something a girlfriend recently told me. Please don't quote me on this, because I have no idea if it is valid. She just got off the pill and is actually starting to ttc. Her mother told her that it would be a good time immediatly because when she was younger herself, that's the way the dr.'s would help get women pg. They would have them try the month they got off! Worth a shot....good luck to you!

Old 10-21-2004, 08:16 AM   #3
    Wild_shihtzu

Wild_shihtzu HB User

Hi, I've been through what you have and completely understand your frustration. My husband and I have been together for 10 years now and have not been using b/c for the past 8 and no pregnancy. We weren't really trying up until 2 years ago but we figured if it happened sooner then so be it. Well nothing happened so we finally went to get tests run. My husband had 2 semen analysis done and they came back normal. I had all my tests done and normal. My doctor then decided to put me on clomid for 6 months. Nothing! So i decided to do some research on my own and found that I ovulate regularly, I have very regular periods so there was technically no reason for the clomid. So we dug a little deeper and found a good urologist for my husband. This doctor did one more semen analysis and found that he had 99% abnormal sperm. He had lots but they were deformed. He found that because my husband was uncircumsized and his foreskin was too tight that it was blocking alot of the semen on their way out. He has since had a circumsision and his count is now 89% abnormal (which is almost normal). So basically all those years and tests and everything came down to this one doctor finding that. Alot of doctors will rush to put you on the pill, or clomid and really haven't explored what is really wrong. Every woman is different and may have different fertility needs. I suggest you do alot of research on your own and when you get of the pill start charting so you know if and when you ovulate. That is the definate first step before taking clomid or any other drug. I wish you all the best!

Old 10-22-2004, 06:29 AM   #4
    sallyko

sallyko HB User

Hi wild shiutzu

So after finding that about dh what are you gonna do? What did a doctor say to do? Circumsize?
    I wish you good luck.
    I agree with you about the drugs RE wants to put the women on as soon as she visits him. That's why I didn't go back to my RE. i had just one appointment with him. i'm fine, my dh has low sperm motility. I'm concerned about the side effects, failure of the reproductive treatment.
    I wanna see if the vitamins, acupuncture, L-Carnitine and herbs improve his sperm motility, it wasn't too low, a little bit low.
    He was fine before, we conceived our first child easily 4 years ago.
    They say overweight might affect sperm quality. He gained weight a little bit after quitting smoking, he is not too big, but still overweight. Maybe that's a reason. Plus, his job is stressful, i hope acupuncture will reduce the stress, he feels very relaxed after acupuncture. I wanna him to have SA again after acupuncture treatment, i read that an acupuncture affects sperm count and motility positively. His sperm count is normal but a sperm motility. So we're waiting. Right now i'm on my 2ww. We need to go to the acupuncturist 3 more times, so far it's been 5 times.
    You know I'm sure we'll conceive. Positive attitude is very helpful.

Good luck to you too

Old 10-22-2004, 08:32 AM   #5
    Wild_shihtzu

Wild_shihtzu HB User

Hi Sallyko, we have done the circumsision and it was a success although poor DH was in soooo much pain for about a month. He has had to SA since and things are getting better in the sperm department. The doctor told us to continue trying for another year now that the sperm are healthier. He said the chances of me getting before his surgery was less than 5% so now I don't feel so hopeless. We are going to try for another year and if we don't get anywhere we are going to start the adoption process. We may or may not try IUI but definately not IVF. I'd rather spend the money to help a child that's already born than to take a shot in the dark with IVF.
    I hope the acupunture helps out with your DH's sperm count. If not try and find a good urologist and tell him you are trying to conceive with no luck. I think they do more thorough SA's because my DH's doctor found stuff that my RE didn't. Go figure. Good luck to you and DH.

Old 10-22-2004, 09:56 AM   #6
    sallyko

sallyko HB User

Thanks for reply.
    Good luck to you.

Baby dust to you and all.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:50 PM   #7
    raige722

raige722 HB User

Just wanted to tell you about my story...I have a two year old daughter that was conceived unintentionally...I was on the pill for almost 8 months and I forgot a few pills...9months later she came....Now I am 21 and desperately want to have another and I am having the worst luck...I recently found out that I have PCOS and have been on Metformin for about 3 months...still no luck yet....
    I hope that things work out for you and DH. If you think that your doctor isn't doing what you want him to do I suggest that you find another doctor. I find it really weird that he didn't run tests on you. Keep us all posted on your progress. Good luck and lots of baby dust your way.

Heather

Closed Thread