It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Xanax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2004, 08:15 AM   #16
    frankbankx

frankbankx HB User
    Re: Xanax

I used to be an actively drinking alcoholic up until 1998.I didnt do "anything" except the occasional coffee for 5 years.With my clearer thinking and non-drugged mind I started remembering things that I guess I blocked out as a child.Like my mom leaving me alone for days at atime while she went to her BF's to do needles, moms BF choking me until I blacked out, etc...
    I have been contemplating things and suicide sounds easier than going thru all the therapy they say I will need.
    My shrink recomended 4 books, 3 of which he said "are the pillars of what they do"
    I have read one of them already called "The Adult Children of Alcoholics" or ACoA...I did some of the excercises in this book and take it really seriously, it helps.
    the other ones are 1) The anxiety & Phobia Workbook
    2) The Feeling Good Handbook
    3) Asserting Yourself
    I found all of them on ebay and they were all only a couple dollars with one being $6.50....
    The Xanax is a good turbocharger to dealing with the things that are causing you stress, like feeling out of control, depression, cloud of anxiety looming over you all the time, etc...
    Now i just started taking Zoloft, Celexa, and Xanax.
    The Xanax just knocks me out, I don't feel "High" from it at all! It just makes me need to go to lay down.But I was told by my shrink that people who have had alot of trauma and stress in their lives it will do this to them.
    I have done cocaine before 1998 about 10-20 times that I remember, but I was always drunk when I did it, never did it sober ever.
    I used LSD over 100 times as a teenager and after a really bad trip or two that was enough for me, I feared having a bad trip where i felt demons chasing me and stuff like that.
    I have panic disorder, anxiety disorder, depression, now.
    So I welcomed anything that would keep me from drinking again, I felt as though I was going crazy, and drinking would probably make me forget alot of what I am going to have to deal with...
    If you are a highly addictive person I would not "EVER" take more than your doctor has prescribed, and if you can take it less than he prescribed.
    I hope my rambling here can show you something, I don't know where you are at...assertiveness training, even on your own with the asserting yourself book will do wonders for you...but its all how much you think you can handle facing right now...its a long hard road and might freak the crap out of you, but just think of how much more you can do in life if you are "normal".
    sorry for the rambling, I am new to all of this myself so don't really have much experience to share...but you sound like you might be in a similar stage of life....so I thought I would write what I can....
    take care of yourself!!! Your not doing as bad as you may feel you are!!!
    You just need to learn ways of dealing with it, and alone its hard to come up with ideas to help yourself, especially if you have that cloud of anxiety and confusion hovering over you like I do

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 01:20 PM   #17
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankbankx
    I used to be an actively drinking alcoholic up until 1998.I didnt do "anything" except the occasional coffee for 5 years.With my clearer thinking and non-drugged mind I started remembering things that I guess I blocked out as a child.Like my mom leaving me alone for days at atime while she went to her BF's to do needles, moms BF choking me until I blacked out, etc...
    I have been contemplating things and suicide sounds easier than going thru all the therapy they say I will need.
    My shrink recomended 4 books, 3 of which he said "are the pillars of what they do"
    I have read one of them already called "The Adult Children of Alcoholics" or ACoA...I did some of the excercises in this book and take it really seriously, it helps.
    the other ones are 1) The anxiety & Phobia Workbook
    2) The Feeling Good Handbook
    3) Asserting Yourself
    I found all of them on ebay and they were all only a couple dollars with one being $6.50....
    The Xanax is a good turbocharger to dealing with the things that are causing you stress, like feeling out of control, depression, cloud of anxiety looming over you all the time, etc...
    Now i just started taking Zoloft, Celexa, and Xanax.
    The Xanax just knocks me out, I don't feel "High" from it at all! It just makes me need to go to lay down.But I was told by my shrink that people who have had alot of trauma and stress in their lives it will do this to them.
    I have done cocaine before 1998 about 10-20 times that I remember, but I was always drunk when I did it, never did it sober ever.
    I used LSD over 100 times as a teenager and after a really bad trip or two that was enough for me, I feared having a bad trip where i felt demons chasing me and stuff like that.
    I have panic disorder, anxiety disorder, depression, now.
    So I welcomed anything that would keep me from drinking again, I felt as though I was going crazy, and drinking would probably make me forget alot of what I am going to have to deal with...
    If you are a highly addictive person I would not "EVER" take more than your doctor has prescribed, and if you can take it less than he prescribed.
    I hope my rambling here can show you something, I don't know where you are at...assertiveness training, even on your own with the asserting yourself book will do wonders for you...but its all how much you think you can handle facing right now...its a long hard road and might freak the crap out of you, but just think of how much more you can do in life if you are "normal".
    sorry for the rambling, I am new to all of this myself so don't really have much experience to share...but you sound like you might be in a similar stage of life....so I thought I would write what I can....
    take care of yourself!!! Your not doing as bad as you may feel you are!!!
    You just need to learn ways of dealing with it, and alone its hard to come up with ideas to help yourself, especially if you have that cloud of anxiety and confusion hovering over you like I do
    Xanax is basically alcohol in a pill, a downer, that's why you don't get high, it's not a stimulant like cocaine or speed. Be careful with it, especially since you are a former alcoholic. It's effects are short-lived and require larger doses eventually.

Zoloft and Celexa are SSR's, I am surprised you take both because too much serotonin in the brain can cause problems. But I guess right now your doses are low. Problem is, when saying you shouldn't take more than prescribed doses, those can eventually go up as tolerance(aka poop out) develops over time.

You've been through alot. Your mother did not put you first, which is sad. The drug abuse didn't help you either.

I hope you can recover successfully someday! Take care.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:17 AM   #18
    wdmoor
    (male)

wdmoor HB User

I was in out-patient rehab for alcohol when I discovered I was addicted to Xanax. I started having panic attacks around age 30. A shrink hooked me up with Xanax, and my MD agreeably wrote me a script whenever I asked for one. Panic attacks gone. But I figured I was keeping them away with a Xanax a day. 14 yrs later, in rehab for alcohol, the counselor discovered how much Xanax I was taking and then I met others who were addicted to Xanax. I had no idea Xanax was addictive. Withdrawal was a freaking nightmare...I hurt for months, and to make it worse, had terrible panic attacks. 8 years later all is well, but I'm still impressed and horrified by the power of Xanax.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:28 PM   #19
    guiness18704
    (male)

guiness18704 HB User

I have taken xanax for a very long time prescribed 1.5mg a day but usually take less have never needed to increase my dosage and can go days with out it...I dont think it is that addictive unless you have an addictive personality. If it is used as it is prescribed or less then prescribed you will never have a problem with it.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:40 PM   #20
    Hope12

Hope12 HB User

UUUHHH-OHHHH,
    Can't wait to see the responses to your post,guiness.I think you'll have some people disagreeing with you.Addictive personalities aside-which of course increases the risk of addiction-you are very lucky you haven't developed a chemical dependancy on this stuff.Actually,Xanax IS very addicting,and a benzo addiction is one of the worst to have!!The key is to take these drugs EXACTLY as prescribed,but in reality,even THAT won't safeguard you from a gradual chemical dependancy(NOT addiction,mind you,but a physiological dependance).But,anyway,good for you for being able to maintain your dose,and take these things only as prescribed/as needed.Take care,

Stacie

Old 10-21-2004, 04:39 AM   #21
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Howard doesn't come around here much anymore because he is having MAJOR problems because of Xanax. Some people develop serious problems after taking only small doses over a short period of time. Don't ever underestimate Xanax....the stuff is evil.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:05 PM   #22
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Man, I have to say, I was also under the impression you had to have addictive personality too. That is, intil I developed a huge tolerance to the prescribed dose my doctor gave me of ATivan. It simply stopped working at all, and then after awhile, I would start to have tolerance withdrawals while still on the pill in the form of a brand new symptoms!!

I never drank, smoked, or tried drugs. When I did try a bit of alcohol one time, I didn't even like it or the tipsy feeling one bit. I'm the poster girl for the anti-addictive personality. My only crime was going to a new doctor for a cold who gave me codiene; the reaction to that lead to benzo prescription and I really didn't even know what it all was at the time.

Type in benzo withdrawal, or the Ashton Manuel, for more info. It's is something not revealed much in the medical community, but there was even a book years ago called "The Accidental Addict". That title pretty much sums it up.

Old 10-22-2004, 03:53 PM   #23
    sweetums

sweetums HB User
    Question Re: Xanax

Alrighty, I am confused I have been on Wellbutrin SR 400mgs a day for at least 8 months now, and I also take xanax..I am up to the highest dosage recommended by my doctor...4mgs a day...I don't really think I'm addicted to it, but I guess I'm not sure....the reason I took the xanax in the first place was to help out until the Wellbutrin kicked in...but now I take it because I feel shortness of breath...every 4 hours or so I feel the need to take another xanax...once in awhile I do take 5, but I try not to let that happen....but other than shortness of breath, I don't have any other problems...Now do you guys consider this addicted? I was told by someone once that they thought the shortness of breath was a side effect of the Wellbutrin...I of course told my doctor about the shortness of breath problem and he didn't seem to think it to be a problem...I went through hell last winter, and I don't think he wants to switch my meds again, and I would have to say I totally agree with him...Any advice here would be welcome.
    And by the way....I sleep at night very well...I never wake up feeling the need to take a xanax....so from these signs, I think I'm ok...right?

Old 10-22-2004, 04:11 PM   #24
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User

Sweet,
    Do you take OVER the doctor's recommended dosage? If not... talk to an addiction doc about getting off safely. Most doc's get 3 hours of trainning re: addiction. They dont know any better. Ask an addiction doctor. It's your best bet Re: your health.

Best to you!

-Sara

Old 10-22-2004, 06:58 PM   #25
    sweetums

sweetums HB User

I guess I'm a bit confused as to why do people want to get off the drug if your not having problems or side effects from the drug...if it helps a persons anxiety, I don't see the reason to get off of it.

Old 10-23-2004, 04:25 PM   #26
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweetums
    I guess I'm a bit confused as to why do people want to get off the drug if your not having problems or side effects from the drug...if it helps a persons anxiety, I don't see the reason to get off of it.
    It's like asking if, just because you aren't an alcoholic, why you shouldn't drink those two martinis with dinner every night.

Actually, a doctor once described benzos such as Xanax as merely being alcohol in a pill form....much more potent than the drink. They are very simular; effecting GABA receptors and are nervous system depressants.

The drugs have bad effects on health, and also tend to actually cause a worsening anxiety conditon over time. They lower anxiety and seizure thresholds; interfer with important stage 3, 4 and REM sleep; the extend stage 2 sleep. The sleep they provide is anesthetic in nature. Without proper stages of sleep, especially stages 4 and REM, all sorts of health/mental problems can emerge over time.

I know it's confusing, but studies have proven benzodiazepines lose their effectivness over time. So what does that mean? That means the anxiety symptoms a person may suffer from upon missing a dose, a day or two, etc. may actually be rebound anxiety from not getting the drug, not the original condition. That's physical dependancy, or what some people call addiction.

Physical dependancy is a component of addiction but not actual addiction. Actual addiction in it's true definition must include compulsive/drug seeking/social and euphoria-seeking behaviors to be real addiction. Physical dependancy is just the body getting used to having a chemical ingested on a regular basis.....so dependancy can not be true addiction.

Tolerance is another issue that makes people want off, as they realize increased dosages soon become effective. Tolerance can develop even after years of same dose, same drug, and can quickly spiral down into a serious problem when not only dosage doesn't work, but it brings on tolerance withdrawal symptoms.

I know about this, because it happened to me, on the exact prescribed dosage from my doctor. You don't have to abuse the drugs for this to occur! When will tolerance occur? It is unpredictable; weeks to years.

Old 10-23-2004, 04:53 PM   #27
    sweetums

sweetums HB User

I've heard it said before that xanax is like a drink in a pill...well I dont understand that at all...it doesn't have that effect on me at all...I know what a drink does to me and xanax certainly isn't like that...xanax just helps me breath easier...once in awhile I think it makes me tired, but then again I get tired at a certain part of the day anyway...so it probably isn't even that.
    Maybe I'm just very tolerant of drugs...I'm a very small person and people are always amazed at the dosages of drugs I can handle without side effects...for now I need the xanax...I don't think it's an addictive kind of thing, it's just that my body is use to having it...but I suppose I wouldn't know unless I tried getting off of it...but once again, while I'm feeling good I don't think I would attempt to get off the drug.
    I need to stay in this good place that I am right now...I have 4 kids to raise and one has a chronic illness, and not to mention a hard to live with husband...I don't think I'll take the risk of messing with my medication at this time.
    It just seems weird that some people have such bad experiences on this drug on such low dosages, while others seem to be just fine.
    I would love to hear from someone who's been on xanax for a few years, and then went off of it and how it went for them, and when they did go off the drug, why did they do it?

Old 10-24-2004, 01:01 AM   #28
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    I've heard it said before that xanax is like a drink in a pill...well I dont understand that at all...it doesn't have that effect on me at all...I know what a drink does to me and xanax certainly isn't like that...xanax just helps me breath easier...once in awhile I think it makes me tired, but then again I get tired at a certain part of the day anyway...so it probably isn't even that.
    Maybe I'm just very tolerant of drugs...I'm a very small person and people are always amazed at the dosages of drugs I can handle without side effects...for now I need the xanax...I don't think it's an addictive kind of thing, it's just that my body is use to having it...but I suppose I wouldn't know unless I tried getting off of it...but once again, while I'm feeling good I don't think I would attempt to get off the drug.
    I need to stay in this good place that I am right now...I have 4 kids to raise and one has a chronic illness, and not to mention a hard to live with husband...I don't think I'll take the risk of messing with my medication at this time.
    It just seems weird that some people have such bad experiences on this drug on such low dosages, while others seem to be just fine.
    I would love to hear from someone who's been on xanax for a few years, and then went off of it and how it went for them, and when they did go off the drug, why did they do it?
    Benzos and alcohol act on the GABA system and are both depressants. Yes, they have different feelings and effects. ITs' like, for example, cocaine and speed are different, and have different effects, but belong in the same class of drugs called stimulants.

Anyway, yes, you are not addicted but most probably physically dependant. Lucky for you it sounds like you haven't developed tolerance yet, so that's good.

I think someday you will want to get off, but sounds like this is not the time. THat's ok, just educate yourself on the issue in the meantime; also, to help avoid things like tolerance and increased dependancy, do not raise the dosage under any circumstances. Need for dose raise is a signal tolerance can be developing.

It also helps to not take the medication daily; that helps to avoid severe dependancy. But if you are already taking daily doses, don't change that intil you are ready to taper.

Hope you can be one of the lucky ones who don't run into trouble....it sounds like you already have enough on your plate right now! Good luck

Old 10-24-2004, 06:59 PM   #29
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
    I can help you here. I have always been on the nervous side and thought Xanax was the greatest thing that had ever happened to me. Even though my life was functional and manageable. I was originally given the drug for sleep and to get through a difficult period in my life. I read the pharm insert. The only warning I got was that it may be habit forming if taken for longer than directed by my doctor. No warnings of hot and cold sensations, inner vibrations, panic, stomach malfunction, extreme muscle tension, etc. No information about a syndrome, that I did not know even existed, where symptoms wax and wane, go away for a few hours then come back, doing the cycle again and again. No warning that there is still real question as to just when this all goes away...

Why did I quit? In a word, the drugs quit working. I was having withdrawal symptoms while on the drugs and even after having doses increased. Came down to which direction I wanted to go, higher or lower, bigger and bigger doses or taper off. I chose the latter, and am off now 32 days, still with plenty of symptoms. I do not know when it will end. Xanax and uninformed doctors have cost me two jobs, has strained relationships, and leaves me here living off my savings trying to recover. I am not unique. Stories similar to mine are abound. I did not know what trouble was until I took on this drug...

Xanax and alcohol: They are different. Xanax and the other benzos, which include Klonopin, Ativan, and Valium, are more targeted. The are directed at a certain band of receptors in charge of GABA, the natural calming system of the body. With this system out of sorts and in need of adjustment, one`s prior nervousness is magnified many times over and they are left in this condition until the body repairs.

On your use: No matter what I would not use this drug over 6 months as, according to some good sources, one`s changes of developing at dependency are 50/50 at that point. It is about sure at one year on. Though some develop dependencies much sooner. As was suggested, do taper off the drug when you are ready. No point in trying to get off when not ready as chances of success are small.

P.S. I noticed on another post that you mentioned shortness of breath. That was my first symptom. It is an anxiety symptom. Stands to reason, as virtually all benzo withdrawal symptoms are anxiety related. I do not have that symptom any longer but would love to trade the stuff I have now for it. Do not want to scare you, but these drugs are from hell. But many users, especially short term ones like you, get lucky.

Last edited by howard678; 10-24-2004 at 08:02 PM.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:07 PM   #30
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by howard678
    I can help you here. I have always been on the nervous side and thought Xanax was the greatest thing that had ever happened to me. Even though my life was functional and manageable. I was originally given the drug for sleep and to get through a difficult period in my life. I read the pharm insert. The only warning I got was that it may be habit forming if taken for longer than directed by my doctor. No warnings of hot and cold sensations, inner vibrations, panic, stomach malfunction, extreme muscle tension, etc. No information about a syndrome, that I did not know even existed, where symptoms wax and wane, go away for a few hours then come back, doing the cycle again and again. No warning that there is still real question as to just when this all goes away...

Why did I quit? In a word, the drugs quit working. I was having withdrawal symptoms while on the drugs and even after having doses increased. Came down to which direction I wanted to go, higher or lower, bigger and bigger doses or taper off. I chose the latter, and am off now 32 days, still with plenty of symptoms. I do not know when it will end. Xanax and uninformed doctors have cost me two jobs, has strained relationships, and leaves me here living off my savings trying to recover. I am not unique. Stories similar to mine are abound. I did not know what trouble was until I took on this drug...

Xanax and alcohol: They are different. Xanax and the other benzos, which include Klonopin, Ativan, and Valium, are more targeted. The are directed at a certain band of receptors in charge of GABA, the natural calming system of the body. With this system out of sorts and in need of adjustment, one`s prior nervousness is magnified many times over and they are left in this condition until the body repairs.

On your use: No matter what I would not use this drug over 6 months as, according to some good sources, one`s changes of developing at dependency are 50/50 at that point. It is about sure at one year on. Though some develop dependencies much sooner. As was suggested, do taper off the drug when you are ready. No point in trying to get off when not ready as chances of success are small.

P.S. I noticed on another post that you mentioned shortness of breath. That was my first symptom. It is an anxiety symptom. Stands to reason, as virtually all benzo withdrawal symptoms are anxiety related. I do not have that symptom any longer but would love to trade the stuff I have now for it. Do not want to scare you, but these drugs are from hell. But many users, especially short term ones like you, get lucky.
    Hi howard, great post and very accurate.

So, you still having some problems, that's not good to hear but you know the score and have come a long way already; and you do know that 32 days off is near nothing in benzo terms so I know you aren't freaking out about it. It's a damn shame it cost two jobs for you, it's not fair when people get into this mess without even knowing until it's happened. Things will get better though.

Closed Thread