It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• lasik dry eyes and question--please respond

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
    mysterious76

mysterious76 HB User
    Angry lasik dry eyes and question--please respond

I just had lasik done a few days ago, and i had never been aware of having dry eyes prior to surgery. Since the procedure, my eyes will spontaneously start burning, and when I put any kind of drops in, they burn also. The docs examined my eyes several days in a row and said my corneas are healing properly. Is what I'm experiencing considered dry eye? I am so petrified that this will become a permanent problem, and it would be unbearable. I figured it would be temporary since i'd never had a problem before surgery. What do you think? And how often should I use artificial tears, since I don't feel like my eyes are dry (but they obviously are). And my second question is has anyone ever tried thera tears nutrition capsules. Supposed to help w/ dry eyes b/c it has flaxseed oil and fish oil and vitamin E. I just bought it but wanted an opinion before trying it. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
    Re: lasik dry eyes and question--please respond

Hi- I just a few months ago was told I had dry eyes. Came on all of a sudden. It comes and goes. But its mainly one eye on the upper inner area that bothers me- which I find strange- so I am going to go and get a second opinion. But anyway I did get the tera tear nutrition for dry eyes. At first I did take 4 a day and in a couple days they felt much better. I now take 2-3 a day. I also try to eat sweet patotoes 3-4 times a week(high in A) and drink lots of water. Every now and then my one eye bothers me if I read to much and don't get enough sleep. I have never wore contacts or glasses and have no allergies. But I am 50 ish so I don't know. I also smoke on and off and I find they are worst when I smoke. So yes- I do believe the eye vitamins do help. Good Luck.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
    drv
    (female)

drv HB User

Hi, it has now been exactly a month since i had lasik.I'm 24 yrs old and had no real problems. The first week my eyes were very dry from the surgery but not that painful just a spurt once in a while of burning or dryness. I used all sorts of drops(non presernative the best) and lacrilube at night(like a vaseline) and they said my eyes do not shut all the way when i sleep so I now sleep with a mask and its fine. What i did is put in tear duct plugs(best thing i did) dryness is gone and don't have to put drops in constantly(even when i didn;'t think it was dry i did) 1 tried the temporary ones first that disolve in 2 weeks and now just put the 3 months ones in till i'm fully reco vered. Good luck.

By the way i do eat healthy and take flaxseed already so that might help

Last edited by drv; 10-15-2004 at 09:42 AM.

Old 10-17-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
    Kanai
    (female)

Kanai HB User

Hi! I had lasik 4 years ago. Best thing I EVER did.

I also had dry eyes for almost 8 months. My dr. said to put drops in my eyes as often as I wanted. We turn down the AC more at night and that was drying them out more. Therefore, he gave me eye drops that were thicker and coated my eyes better. It just takes a while but eventually you won't need drops. When you wake up in the morning before you do anything put drops in your eyes.

I keep a bottle of Systane Lubricant Eye Drops in purse.

Last edited by Kanai; 10-17-2004 at 10:37 AM.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:17 AM   #5
    Bellajoon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bellajoon HB User

I had the procedure done a year ago last May. I had dry eyes before the surgery, but have them a lot less now. I have a thyroid condition so dry eyes are very common when undertreated. I love not having to wear glasses. Everyday I am still in amazement that I can see. Probably your dry eyes will clear up real soon. Keep yourself hydrated.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
    angel1277

angel1277 HB User

The reason you have burning right after surgery is because your corneas has been "shaved off" I flap was created and smoothed back over. Think of it like a cut on your skin. If you cut yourself and pour peroxide on it, it will burn. That is what is happening with your eyes. It will continue for a while and slowly get better. As far as long term dry eye, everyone is different, but it is recommended that you use the artificial tears long term--it aids in healing so that your lids do not irritate the cornea.

Old 10-29-2004, 01:03 PM   #7
    Iwantacure

Iwantacure HB User

question: If I take thyroid medication, will this make my eyes less dry so I can do lasik?

Old 11-06-2004, 09:22 PM   #8
    Aunt Sherry
    (female)

Aunt Sherry HB User
    Wink Re: lasik dry eyes and question--please respond

I had Lasik 4 years ago. The procedure involves severing the nerve that tells your eyes to water, which will repair itself. (In rare cases it does not, and those poor souls have my deepest sympathy) For a few weeks or so after the surgery, I would have to pull off the road while driving so I could put drops in because it was sooo unbearable. While my left eye has never had a problem after that, my right eye took longer to heal. Every few months or so my right eye does get pretty dry - but it is quickly relieved by eye drops. I concur with all the other suggestions: stay hydrated, use gel at night, thicker drops when you don't have to drive or read anything immediately. Also, use a humidifier in the winter. Hope you heal quickly!

Old 11-16-2004, 12:58 PM   #9
    Jody63
    (female)

Jody63 HB User

I had LASIK less than a week ago. I have some dryness, but not what I expected. My doctor did recommend taking flax seed oil 2x's a day. He also said it may cause gas and if so cut back to one a day. You can buy it at any drug store and probably WalMart.

Old 12-04-2004, 07:03 AM   #10
    fenwayphil
    (male)

fenwayphil HB User

Hi, I have had Wavefront Lasik surgery exactly 2 months and 9 days ago. I am suffering from dry eyes as well. I have been told by a few eye doctors that it will eventually get better. My one main concern that terrifies me is the glare and fluctuation I get with my vision almost making it impossible for me to drive at night solely because of dry eyes and not the procedure which is definetely true. My vision after surgery is 20/20 but of course with glare. When I put a drop or 2 in my eyes at night and wait a few seconds I notice the glare sometimes completely disappear, but usually not for long. I was told that eventually my good days will outway the bad ones and then it will all be good days. They said about 3 months so Im coming to the wire here and I'm not too sure. Does or did anyone else have these glare problems due to dry eyes and if so how long before they were gone? Thanks all and I look foward to hearing from you. Oh- Im also doing the flax seed oil thing, Restasis, and pretty much everything else your supposed to do to combat this problem.

Phil

Last edited by fenwayphil; 12-04-2004 at 07:04 AM.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
    bazoozoo
    (male)

bazoozoo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvtocamp View Post
    Hi- I just a few months ago was told I had dry eyes. Came on all of a sudden. It comes and goes. But its mainly one eye on the upper inner area that bothers me- which I find strange- so I am going to go and get a second opinion. But anyway I did get the tera tear nutrition for dry eyes. At first I did take 4 a day and in a couple days they felt much better. I now take 2-3 a day. I also try to eat sweet patotoes 3-4 times a week(high in A) and drink lots of water. Every now and then my one eye bothers me if I read to much and don't get enough sleep. I have never wore contacts or glasses and have no allergies. But I am 50 ish so I don't know. I also smoke on and off and I find they are worst when I smoke. So yes- I do believe the eye vitamins do help. Good Luck.

Closed Thread