It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 2 weeks post op (fusion)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-04-2004, 03:39 AM   #1
    ch04

ch04 HB User
    Thumbs down 2 weeks post op (fusion)

Well!!

I made it ,
    went to hell and back but im home now

still on a lot f pain meds ? which are getting me down cus i gess i thought i would be able to come right off them .

getting pain on graft site alot and pain in hips???? a lette in my back BUT NOT MY OLD PAIN . i think !!!!

FELLING A BIT DOWN

im from the uk and the after care is not the same i thk to that in the US .
    i,v been told not to do do any pt when should I start ?
    what should i do ?

My surg was good and he is the best in the uk im told and all went well , go back to see him in 2 weeks

should i be doing more ?

I WAS TOLD not to sit for 2 weeks , but on here some of you say 6 weeks ?

please give me your help

chris

L5s1 PLIF FUSION WITH cages and sws full 360

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2004, 04:36 AM   #2
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
    Re: 2 weeks post op (fusion)

My surgeon didn't want me doing PT until 3 months---just chill out and let it heal. I was fused with BMP so I had no hip pain. And I haven't had anything for pain at all since I came home.
    fly

Old 11-04-2004, 06:13 AM   #3
    ch04

ch04 HB User

no pain meds at all?

i just dont know how u did that

i must be a chicken

Old 11-04-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
    MARY G

MARY G HB User

Hi Chris,
    Everyone is different. Their surgerues are different, and their pain tolerance is different. I took pain meds for 2 months. I felt down, but I needed the pain meds. I am now 9 mos post PLIF and I basically take no pain meds!!!!! I was told to walk a bit every day as much as I was capable. It helps the healing and circulation. Keep on with the boards, and the time does pass. Best of healing to you. Peace, Mary

Old 11-04-2004, 09:06 AM   #5
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Chris,
    I wasn't on pain meds pre-op because my pains were intermittant. Also, it sounds like you had 3 incisions. I only had one. And my BMP is on sponges. I have no cages.
    fly

Old 11-04-2004, 01:20 PM   #6
    Rhonni
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Rhonni HB User

Chris:
    I'm glad you're home and have the worse over with.

If you're only 2 weeks post op, PLEASE do NOT be concerned with the meds you're still having to take. Take them as you need them. Your goal right now should be comfort...not stress. You WILL come off the pain meds in time, believe me. Just remember that this was major surgery and a shock to your body.

Your anesthesia is most likely what is causing you to feel down. Anesthesia, combined with your pain medication will cause depression. Work through it, it WILL pass.

The pain you're feeling in your hips is also normal. Please give yourself a chance. You're going to feel not right for a few weeks to come. Your good days will start to outnumber your bad ones as time goes on.

Currently, I am 7 weeks post op from decompression and fusion surgery L5-S1.
    I started very mild phsyical therapy at 2 weeks. This was very simple sitting in a chair and lifting my ankles, knee lifts. Nothing that put stress on my back at all. I am just now starting to do pelvic tilts and even that is the most I should be doing according to my doctor.

Walking is the best exercise you can do for now.

The bottom line... DO EXACTLY AS YOUR DOCTOR TELLS YOU TO!!!
    Each of us have been told different things from different doctors. I had 2 different doctors through my process and each one told ME two different things. Go with what your doctor treating you tells you to do. Your body will be a key indicator. It will tell you when NOT to do something. They key is to keep your back supported.

I can tell you that at 7 wks post op I am no longer as guarded as I was 5 wks ago. At one point I was so worried that I twisted with every move I made. Now, I'm walking 80% of the time without my cane, shopping and almost ready to go back to work - although I think I'm a few weeks away from that yet.

Give yourself time... don't expect too much of yourself just yet, be patient - which is hard and words I need to remind myself of... and look back on each day to see what new thing you accomplished from the day before. Even if it's something small...measure all those small steps and before you know it they turn into big ones.

Hang in there.
    Hunni

Old 11-05-2004, 12:42 AM   #7
    islebe

islebe HB User

i'm at 4 weeks post op monday. Today i drovefor my first time, went to wal mart and shopped, it was a big accomplishment. Doctor gave me the okay to drive, but still if i sit, not to sit for more then 30 minutes, and to shift my position if ido sit. still no blt and phys therapy to start in two weeks.
    I asked to be moved down from percocet to tylenol 4, and only have been taking once a day(when needed) and my recovery is peaceful, but boring.

I have no pain like i used to, and now at worse i ache and feel discomfort after sitting a while.
    now the only pain i have is watching the EOB's come in and realizing what all it cost, thanking insurance and just waiting to see what my deductible was since my surgeon was out of network.

Oh yeah, only other pain is watching my wife do all the chores at home and having to take careof me cause i know she is tired.

Old 11-06-2004, 06:39 AM   #8
    ch04

ch04 HB User

Thank you all for your kind words

i now i have to look after myself , but i dont like pain

the last few days have nor been that bad , and im doin a bit of walking every day

keep all all posted

thank u 4 all being there!111

Closed Thread