It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Mineral oil in skincare....is it good or bad?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2003, 01:40 PM   #1
    Liss

Liss HB User
    Post Mineral oil in skincare....is it good or bad?

I've heard so many conflicting things about mineral oil!! Some say it suffocates the skin causing large pores and breakouts, even wrinkles, and others say it's fine to use and cannot possibly clog pores or bother your skin in any negative way. Anyone have an opinion? Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2003, 03:51 PM   #2
    mysterythere

mysterythere HB User
    It's pretty bad for your skin. That and vaseline, or any kind of petroleum jelly. It is all basically a petrol oil, which is something that can be used to make your car run in certain forms. It will definitely clog your pores. It doesn't allow the skin to breathe, because the molecules are much too large, your body's natural oils can not break through that barrior, so it clogs up. This does cause wrinkles, eventhough it would seem like all that oil would be good, but it's an opposite affect because it's suffocating your skin, not giving it enough oxygen and such.

Now it is definitely used in a LOT of products, almost every body lotion you find has mineral oil in it, and baby oil is pure mineral oil. But you should really only put oils on your skin that you could actually put INSIDE of your body.

You can find pure cocoa butter or shea butter at stores, although some do contain mineral oil (I don't know if it is enough mineral oil to be that bad on your skin, but I would rather have it pure).

Other oils that are good are Olive, Coconut, Almond, Camellia, Jojoba (which is actually a wax).. and there are many others. These oils allow your skin to breathe and actually are close to your bodies own natural oils, and many of them contain vitamins and other great things, and they do not clog the pores, unless you use way too much and then of course it could make it too oily (but using too much of ANYTHING isn't a good idea, especially anything with mineral oil). Mineral oil doesn't contain anything GOOD for the skin, you might as well put car oil on your skin! Plus, when using these other oils, you only have to use a very tiny amount, so a little goes a long way.

Have you ever noticed how when you use chapsticks or vaseline on your lips that you have to keep buying it and applying it over and over? It's because it's acutally keeping moisture from your skin, nothing gets in, nothing gets out, it doesn't actually HEAL the skin.... so in other words, you keep buying them more often, and that's VERY big business for all these beauty companies......

Oh by the way, some of the most beautiful women in the world, and the ones who STAY looking beautiful well into old age, are those that use these Olive oils and camellia oils, and pure cocoa butter, etc. (And a LOT of these women are from other countries, where they've been using them for thousands of years). These oils keep the skin flexible, prevent wrinkles, stretch marks, even acne, and can even take away wrinkles and help fade stretch marks. I, myself, only recently started using Olive oil, and I wish I had started it when I was a child! I'm only 23 now, though, and still look young, so I know these oils will keep my skin looking nice and healthy for life (along with good food and lots of water, of course). Every women should use them. =)

[This message has been edited by mysterythere (edited 10-11-2003).]

Old 10-11-2003, 05:16 PM   #3
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User
    I completely agree with the above poster. I strictly avoid any product that contains mineral oil. I do love olive oil, though. I buy it organic and use it straight from the bottle for my facial skin (I get compliments all the time) and to condition my hair. Great for your hands and cuticles, too. I read everywhere that olive oil is the beauty secret of the women living in the Mediterraen region. They use it for everything, (including cooking!). It's one of the healthiest oils and it does the body good from the inside out.

Old 10-11-2003, 06:09 PM   #4
    lovely.lady
    Senior Veteran

lovely.lady HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by rita:
    I completely agree with the above poster. I strictly avoid any product that contains mineral oil. I do love olive oil, though. I buy it organic and use it straight from the bottle for my facial skin (I get compliments all the time) and to condition my hair. Great for your hands and cuticles, too. I read everywhere that olive oil is the beauty secret of the women living in the Mediterraen region. They use it for everything, (including cooking!). It's one of the healthiest oils and it does the body good from the inside out.
    It doesn't clog your pores?

Old 10-11-2003, 10:53 PM   #5
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User
    Not a clogged pore in sight. No breakouts, no irritation, just a glowing complexion.

Old 10-12-2003, 02:49 AM   #6
    LIQUIFY

LIQUIFY HB User
    It can clog your pores if you have acne prone skin.

Old 10-12-2003, 04:29 PM   #7
    mysterythere

mysterythere HB User
    I don't even believe that it clogs acne prone skin, not if you apply it correctly. For your face you pour into your hand less than a dime size of the oil, about half the size of a dime. Then you rub your palms together and rub some on your fingernails to get rid of a bit, and then you PAT your palms on your face all over, and you can gently rub that in if you want, you can barely feel it. You can put more around your eyes and on your lips.

To my surprise, my blackheads have actually started to lessen more since I began using olive oil, and even when I put it on a pimple, it went away sooner also. The oil loosens things up in your pores, and it keeps your skin from over producing even more oil, which is what would cause more breakouts in the first place. And it has vitamins in it(specifically Vit.E) that helps acne prone skin and lines and wrinkles, and it also has antimircobials that actually keep your skin CLEAN, not dirty, it contains other good things for the skin, too. You can even wash your face with olive oil, it will get the dirt off, it certainly gets makeup off, and you can use a gentle cleanser after removing your makeup with it just to feel cleaner, that's what I do and then I apply a very tiny amount as a moisturizer. My natural skin type is certainly OILY with a tendency towards blackheads, and since using olive oil it has not been as oily as it was, nor is it dry at all, it is just right. I had been using aloe vera gel on my face and it dried it out, eventhough I loved it at first because it dried up all my oil and helped my blackheads, but it ended up making it worse after a while (aloe vera shouldn't be used TOO often), but the olive oil has balanced my skin, it's making it even better than before.

I believe using all the wrong products for years is actually what helped clog my pores in the first place (even using "oil free" cleansers and moisturizers). But the good oils actually loosen things OUT of your pours. Everyone is so afraid of the "oil" word because the cosmetic companies have made it out to be this evil thing, and I know it certainly is not a bad thing at all, it's great. People just run into problems when they start OVER using it, because they think more is better, but all you need is a tiny bit.

Old 10-13-2003, 06:57 AM   #8
    Kaia_27

Kaia_27 HB User
    "That and vaseline, or any kind of petroleum jelly."

Is petroleum the same as petroletum? Petroletum is in alot of my moisturizers so that's why I wanted to know.

Old 10-13-2003, 07:02 AM   #9
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User
    Yes, it is the same nasty stuff. Anything "petro" is petroleum based. How good for your skin can gasoline be?

Old 10-13-2003, 07:55 AM   #10
    Naomi101
    (female)

Naomi101 HB User
    I always avoid mineral oil myself. It seems to give me little red bumps.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:03 AM   #11
    Kaia_27

Kaia_27 HB User
    I've heard that olive oil is bad because of its high acidity. Someone told me to try it on my hair a few years ago and after a week, it turned it to straw. I do know a few very thickhaired people who swear by olive oil, so I guess it depends.

I mix Vitamin E oil in with my moisturizer sometimes when my skin is looking dry. It really softens my skin and is a great antioxidant. I also put it on my hair ends to keep them smooth.

[This message has been edited by Kaia_27 (edited 10-13-2003).]

Old 10-13-2003, 03:44 PM   #12
    chopstix_gal

chopstix_gal HB User
    i avoid mineral oil completely. i don't know if it is bad for your skin (seems that most cosmetic companies try to sell their products by saying "NO MINERAL oil") though. there are so many great products to choose from, so i don't take the risk of harming my skin. i just use alternative products.

as a side note, i started using jojoba oil about a week ago. it's the first time i've used pure oil on my skin and it already is looking much more even toned and the pores are smaller. i already have 2 of my girlfriends hooked after trying it one day.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:25 PM   #13
    mysterythere

mysterythere HB User
    I would say that I go by personal experience and by looking at thousands of years of history of the most beautiful women in the world, those living in several different countries, including Native American women (which is one part of my blood), all who never used mineral oil, and most who still don't. I will *mostly* (but not always) only use oils on the outside of my body that are also good for the INSIDE of my body. Mineral oil is definitely not one of these. I guess if some people think mineral oil is safe, they should apply it to their face as a moisturizer and see what it does to their pores, if it doesn't clog them then that's great for them.

I, on the other hand, want only the VERY best for my skin and hair, and I know which oils are the best. That is my personal preference, I suppose, but I think it does other women good by letting them know about these oils, too. And they are not always more expensive, especially when they do just as good as or better than very expensive wrinkle creams.

You'll find many studies and articles on the internet that claim all sorts of things are a myth. For example, I don't know how many dermatologist's sites that I've been to that claim over and over that food has no effect on your skin, especially acne, and that drinking lot's of water doesn't really do anything. Well, I don't care if that's what they think, I know for certain that one's diet and fluid intake is the most important thing for healthy skin. So I've just tried to find the best information I can find out there and use my common sense and go by personal experience.

And from my own personal experience with vaseline and mineral oil, I would not even dare to put it on my baby someday. I feel like a beautiful woman, I want to stay that way and not worry about it. Because once someone has to worry about the way they look all the time then they stop paying attention to other people and stop caring about them and helping them. So that's another reason why I decided to use oils like these, they are much less a hassle and do such a great job that I don't have to go shopping around all the time always looking for the next great cream or potion like so many women are always on the look out for (like I was, myself) and wasting hundreds of dollars throughout their lives. I'm a minimalist by nature, I like being a very natural beauty, I do wear some make-up (and of course I shave hah hah, I'm not THAT natural), but I do not collect beauty creams and crap like that. I'm too free and natural for that, so I guess these type of oils just take away from the time I have to actually worry about the way I look, and that is very good because I have much more important things to do. But, of course, mineral oil is cheap and easy, too, but I still want the best.

By the way, Paula Begoun (from cosmetic cop) has been known to change her opinions from book to book, while people pay over $20 for some of them, each time. I don't mean any disrespect by saying this, but with all that make-up on her face, and the way it looks (not very good, in my opinion), I just would rather look towards other more natural looking beautiful women in this world for the best beauty advice.

(oh this was originally in response to Liquify, but I guess your post was deleted or something)

[This message has been edited by mysterythere (edited 10-15-2003).]

Old 10-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #14
    mysterythere

mysterythere HB User
    Kaia_27,

Did you use Extra Virgin olive oil? Olive oil is high in Vit.E, too. I wonder why it hurt your hair, I've never known it to be bad for anyone's hair, it's great for mine. I know everyone is different, though. Just don't put mineral oil on your hair hah hah, I actually put vaseline in mine a long time ago and it took months to wash out!

Old 10-14-2003, 01:58 AM   #15
    LIQUIFY

LIQUIFY HB User
    but you can't use an oil as a day misturizer.

Closed Thread