It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• smoke free for 4 weeks now

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
    Kopoli
    Inactive

Kopoli HB User
    smoke free for 4 weeks now

So I just looked at the calendar here and realized it's been 4 weeks since I stopped smoking. YAY! Seems to me the cold turkey thing works the best rather than wasting money on treatments. So since I smoked a pack a day that means I've already saved over a hundred bucks! If anything, that's an incentive right there, money. Not to mention the time I've saved, smoking roughly 20 times per day x 5 minutes each cig(average smoking time). It's well worth the mental anguish I went through initially with the withdrawals.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2004, 01:46 PM   #2
    elatedgiraffe
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elatedgiraffe HB User
    Re: smoke free for 4 weeks now

HIP HIP HORRAY!!!!!

I'm so proud of you! Congrats!

I too, also quit cold turkey over a year ago. I found that was the easiest way. Thats when your body knows "okay, this is for real..I'm quitting". Its nuts to look back and realize how much money you spent on something that will kill you. Its like spending money on a LONG suicide.

Anyway, I took the money I saved from not buying cigarettes and bought something nice for myself at the end of every 2 weeks. An incentive to keep up the good work.

So congrats to you and I hope you decide to continue to be smoke free.

Old 11-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Congrats on quitting. I also quit smoking for 4 wks tomorrow. I was prompted to quit after going to ER with severe chest pains. I thought it was a heart attack and being diabetic with very high bp, they kept me for 48 hours. I was not allowed to smoke in the hosp. so when i got out i just quit. Cold Turkey.

However, it is hard staying off cigs since i can't over eat or eat sweets due to diabetes. My husb. smokes and keep offerring me a cig. The temptation is very strong. But i haven't caved in and i must say my bp is better and my sense of smell is much better.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:37 AM   #4
    Phoebe
    Inactive

Phoebe HB User

Congrats to all of you. This last time, I did it cold turkey too. It has been almost 6 months. That's how long I went without smoking the first time I quit. I will not start again. I hardly think about it anymore so it does get better. My B/P is lower too, and it wasn't a problem before. I am glad it is lower since that tells me that my Cardio-Vascular System was working more that my body required just because of the cigs. I was surprised. I have gained weight, but at least it is something that I may can change. I need to keep carrot sticks and pea pods etc at close hand to munch on when the binging bug hits. Congrats to all, and keep it up. Phoebe

Old 11-08-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
    Kopoli
    Inactive

Kopoli HB User

HIYA! I'm so happy to hear others are just as happy smoke free. I'm still going strong and the cravings are there but will power and the realization of what is more important always prevails. I have to remind myself that smoking is instant gratification and even just 1 leads to more! I haven't gained weight but I have also been enjoying my newfound lung power and excercising a little more. Not to mention the excess money I have now. I hate to sound like one of those positive approach types but quitting really does improve the quality of life!

Old 11-09-2004, 01:45 AM   #6
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

YAY FOR YOU!!!!!! I am ten or so days in now, and I realized too that quitting cold turkey would be the best way. I only use Wellbutrin to ease my hand to mouth problem, other than that it is sugarless gum and tootsie pops. But you know?? I am not even using the pops anymore! It does get easier as time goes by. We all deserve big 'ole pats on the back! I was smoking a pack a day too! I don't have phlegm coughing up anymore, I don't make wheezy sounds and my sinus is much dryer! I feel better already!

Old 11-10-2004, 12:29 PM   #7
    mamak

mamak HB User

Tomorrow I'm 9 weeks smoke free....I smoked for 32 years .I use the Nicoderm CQ patchs and they have helped a lot as I still have the cravings. Especially when I wake up and after meals. I am also a diabetic and having problems with keeping food out of my mouth. I don't want to gain weight verses quitting smoking. I also had the smokers cough which drove me nuts. I do smell better now than ever. I'm one of those that got the wake call in the ER, then onto Open Heart Surgery. Smoking wasn't worth it. Hooray to all of you that have gone cold turkey and are continuing to be smoke free. Mama Kay

Old 11-10-2004, 01:22 PM   #8
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

I like coming here every now and then to listen to these success stories. I to quit cold turkey about a year ago. It was hard but I am proud to say I done it. Keep up the good work and congratsssss

Old 11-11-2004, 05:02 PM   #9
    mamak

mamak HB User
    Thumbs up Re: smoke free for 4 weeks now

Mel I will be so happy when I reach 4 months of being smokefree. I have 2 months behind me and have to admit that I still have cravings every once in a while. But like you, I'm going to kick that habit. Hooray for you again. Mama Kay

Old 11-11-2004, 05:06 PM   #10
    mamak

mamak HB User
    Lightbulb Re: smoke free for 4 weeks now

opps I goofed. I see your four weeks smoke free. We will just put it this way, It won't be long till were 4 months. Mama Kay

Old 11-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #11
    CK39C

CK39C HB User

Hi everybody,

I was just reading your posts. I would like to say anybody who quits cold turkey is my hero. I stopped for about 3 weeks and started again. But after having problems with my teeth. My periodontist told me I MUST stop, or I will slowly lose more of my gum tissue. So I have decided Dec. 1 is my quit date. I will do it I trust myself enough, I am only 40 years old and I do not want to lose my teeth. So if nobody minds I will keep coming to the boards everyday for encouragement. I may ask for help along the way your stories of encouragement are great. Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

CK

Old 11-30-2004, 04:57 PM   #12
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

HI CK--

Welcome to the board, and of course no body minds, so hang around here all you want!

That is great that you have decided to quit smoking, congratulations. It's probably going to be the BEST thing you will ever doing for yourself, healthwise and otherwise.

I think I "talked" with you on the vitamin board, right? Well, are you planning to quit "cold turkey?" If so, that is great, but if you feel you can't handle it alone, don't hesitate to use NRT. (I used patches and nic gum)

You will find, (as I did) that your periodontal disease will improve a lot, after you've been away from the smoking for a while. Smoking slows down healing, which is bad if you have any health issues.

Well, post all you want, and I'm sure others here will welcome you too. (this board is a little slow sometimes, so be patient!)

Talk soon,,,
    Deda

Closed Thread