It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Permanent Placement of Adult with Downs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #1
    Steve Smith

Steve Smith HB User
    Permanent Placement of Adult with Downs

I have a daughter with Down's, she is 22 years old. I have never kept her. But I need to plan for her permanent placement. My aunt kept her until she was 18, and then she has stayed with a family for the past four years. I'm not able to keep her, but may need to make arrangments soon, and don't know what to do next. I spoke with an attorney, and she suggested I post a letter for advise. Anyone there that may know what my options are, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
    dianne12315

dianne12315 HB User
    Re: Permanent Placement of Adult with Downs

The first thing I would do is look in your state for an agency that deals with Developmental Disablities and they would probably be able to help you. There are quite a few private agencies as well as state agencies that have group homes that you can look into. She would be placed in a home with other adults who are her age and you have the right to specify if you want her to be in a co-ed type setting or not. I have worked in that field as a caregiver for over 30 yrs and believe me they are very good.

What state do you live in? Usually the state agencies can be found as OMRDDD which means Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities or they may be found under DDSO which means Developmental Disabilities Sevices Organization. Each state is different though so you may have to do some research.

Good Luck and let me know how you make out.
    Dianne

Last edited by dianne12315; 11-09-2004 at 04:04 PM.

Old 11-09-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
    Steve Smith

Steve Smith HB User

I live in Tennessee

Old 11-09-2004, 05:59 PM   #4
    dianne12315

dianne12315 HB User

You could try doing a search from your computer for the different agencies in your state. If you find any...you can contact one of them and they will be able to give you the help you're looking for. Type in "Tennessee OMRDD Agencies or Tennessee DDSO"

Does your daughter have a Social Worker?

You might also be able to do a search through your local school system. Some of the teachers who teach Special Ed may be also be able to give you some insight as to where to go for help. If you have Social Services in the county you live in they can probably help you also. Contact your local Mental Health organization. I'm sure there is someone there who could help you also and if they can't I'm sure they have the resources to put you in the right direction.

I wish I could be of more help to you though. Hopefully I have given you a few options that you can look into. I think it's great that you're looking for a suitable placement for her and it sounds like you're trying to do the right thing.

Let me know how you make out.
    Dianne

Old 11-15-2004, 07:31 AM   #5
    kaffyb

kaffyb HB User

Go and look at Pathfinder Village --- pathfindervillage.org ----- It is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE in the world!

Old 11-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #6
    Steve Smith

Steve Smith HB User

I'm still working on it. I've spoke with an attorney that may specialize in this area, but no real help yet, Like I said I've never lived with her, I'm trying to prepare in the event I need to make a decision in the near future.

Old 11-20-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
    pat52
    (female)

pat52 HB User

There are numerous placement options for your daughter. CILAs and group homes provide a setting that will offer your daughter a chance for independence as well as supervision. Depending upon the functioning level of your daughter and if there are other disabilities (such as needing adaptive equipment) is she ambulatory or require the assistance of a wheelchair or walker. One very nice place is LAMBS located in northern Illinois-it is one of the best. Be careful about state run facilities and large resenditial facilities-they have alot of turn over in staff which often results in only fair care if your daughter requires alot of assistance. Best of luck.

Old 11-30-2004, 05:55 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Please find a lawyer who knows what the heck she is doing.For a lawyer to tell you to post on a internet help site for advise on this is really appalling.I hope you did not actually pay her for this advise.Marcia

Closed Thread