It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Rhinoplasty-7 days post-op and depressed!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2004, 09:07 AM   #31
    ladivapr
    Inactive

ladivapr HB User
    Re: Rhinoplasty-7 days post-op and depressed!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brim
    OK ...

But where do i start with my research?? I mean in the UK its like Cosmetic Surgery Companies that ive looked into... for example.. Harley Medical .. Transform. What exactly is it that i need to be focusing on? [Other than the costs]
    Make an appointment with about 3-4 surgeons in your area. See their portfolio of before and afters pictures (crucial). If they dont have portfolio or they are hesitant to show you before and after pics stay away. Look at the office and the staff. Does it look nice, appealing? Hear carefully what he has to say about what he would do in your nose. Ask around if he is good, preferable if you can speak with his patients better. Right there in the office you can check out and talk to his patients. Dont be shy, its your nose so better ask. And from those make a decision. You really dont have to go overseas. I have seeing great surgeries from even ENT doctors only.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2004, 02:20 PM   #32
    Brim

Brim HB User

Thanks to everyone for the advice, and i am looking into it.

I am not considering going overseas for the surgery, Im British.. so therefore i said that in the UK, its more about the companies that offer cosmetic surgeries, rather than the individual doctors themselves.

I have an appointment on the 16th... I'll see how it goes.

To be honest after reading some of the comments people have posted about how theirs has gone a bit 'pear-shaped' [Not literally.. hehe] im Soooooooooo Scared!!!!!

Old 11-06-2004, 02:55 PM   #33
    wannabehotguy
    Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User

I went to a board certified plastic surgeon in Dallas for a consultation. Dr.S. And he said that my nose looked OK already but that he could reduce the base of the nose and refine the tip. There will not be any breaking of bone etc. IN other words not a full nose job. Just about 1/4 of a nosejob. So I am wondering what I should do. I don't feel too comfortable with him...so yes I will find another doctor. But after reading how upset everybody is ...I am not sure if I want to get a nose job now. Do the Doctors ever do computer generated imaging for what a nose might look like on my face AFTer the surgery? Let me in on some advice for nose jobs. My nose looks oK nothing is wrong with it at all. I just want it to be perfect.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:01 AM   #34
    spinsta
    (male)

spinsta HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wannabehotguy
    I went to a board certified plastic surgeon in Dallas for a consultation. Dr.S. And he said that my nose looked OK already but that he could reduce the base of the nose and refine the tip. There will not be any breaking of bone etc. IN other words not a full nose job. Just about 1/4 of a nosejob. So I am wondering what I should do. I don't feel too comfortable with him...so yes I will find another doctor. But after reading how upset everybody is ...I am not sure if I want to get a nose job now. Do the Doctors ever do computer generated imaging for what a nose might look like on my face AFTer the surgery? Let me in on some advice for nose jobs. My nose looks oK nothing is wrong with it at all. I just want it to be perfect.
    My advice is don't touch it. I wish someone would have told me that. Mine wasn't bad at all but I too wanted perfection and now I look like a witch. If it ain't broke, don't fix it bc sure it might turn out good, but it's a definite gamble and you might lose big time. Is it really worth the risk? Now I really have to do it and I'm terrified... can you imagine 3 nosejobs before even turning 25? TV shows like THE Swan and Extreme Makeover make you think that the results could never turn out bad, particularly if you're with a good surgeon, but believe me they can, especially with rhinoplasty- it can change your entire face.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:08 AM   #35
    spinsta
    (male)

spinsta HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by o_sharlett
    So did you say your surgeon was outta town? Has any of the swelling gone down? You know if your nose looks bigger than before I am sure it's just swollen. My doctor is kinda snobby, but he has answered all my questions. I'm just kinda skeptical that my nose will reshape itself as he says. Why did you have to pay $16,000? That is an awful lot for a nose job. But anyways my nose was kinda wide at the bottom and silly me also thought I'd be in good hands. I didnt do as much research as I probably should have. Who knows though, maybe it will shrink, I hope! Also, something you can check, if your nose is still sore, it's still swollen. My doctor told me anywhere there's soreness indicates swelling. Hopefully that helps!!!!!
    Well I did a ton of research and it left me nowhere, so that goes to show that a lot of it is luck. I flew in from out of town to have surgery with this guy bc his reputation was so good. I thought "I never want to have to do this again, so I'm going to do it with the best guy I can"... pretty stupid. It was $16,000 bc he put in cartilage grafts (which have ruined my nose). I know it's still swollen but even taking the swelling into consideration it's still huge. The main thing I wanted was a smaller nose, and the doctor said that putting in cartilage grafts would give it the appearance of a smaller nose, which ofcourse was wrong. I say give your nose some time to heal, I mean, you really just had it done like 2 weeks ago. If it's your first one than I wouldnt freak out too much. When I first had it done it was pretty swollen for about 5-6 weeks.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:28 PM   #36
    elle00110
    (female)

elle00110 HB User

spinsta, your posts about Dr. Gunter are really disturbing. He really does get a lot of good comments on the internet. I wonder what's really going on. Anyway, I really hope everything turns out okay for you. You really do have to wait until the swelling goes down to do another surgery or you and your surgeon won't know how it will eventually look. I really still think that your nose will get a lot better with time. Whether it will get good enough for you to live with, of course, I can't say. I wish you all the best. (Btw, I had my revision with Dr. Toriumi and I have had at least 7 follow-up appointments in the last six months. Dr. Gunter should really follow up to make sure that things turn out the way you want. It seems obvious but good doctors don't abandon their patients!)

Old 11-11-2004, 06:24 PM   #37
    ladivapr
    Inactive

ladivapr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wannabehotguy
    My nose looks oK nothing is wrong with it at all. I just want it to be perfect.
    How sick is that...narcissism to it's best.

Old 11-12-2004, 10:02 AM   #38
    spinsta
    (male)

spinsta HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elle00110
    spinsta, your posts about Dr. Gunter are really disturbing. He really does get a lot of good comments on the internet. I wonder what's really going on. Anyway, I really hope everything turns out okay for you. You really do have to wait until the swelling goes down to do another surgery or you and your surgeon won't know how it will eventually look. I really still think that your nose will get a lot better with time. Whether it will get good enough for you to live with, of course, I can't say. I wish you all the best. (Btw, I had my revision with Dr. Toriumi and I have had at least 7 follow-up appointments in the last six months. Dr. Gunter should really follow up to make sure that things turn out the way you want. It seems obvious but good doctors don't abandon their patients!)
    YEs it is def. ridiculous that he hasn't called me for a follow-up, and I have called the office and have spoken with the other doctor who was assisting and his tone with me was that of exasperation, like I was crazy for being unhappy with the results of the surgery. I think I know my mistake and that was going to Dr.GUnter in the first place. I didn't need cartilage grafts- I actually just needed a little further reduction type of surgery, but GUnter is a graft-happy doctor, which is good for people with deformities in their nose, but not for someone who didn't really have anything apparent when you looked at me. I wish I could turn back time and have gone to one of the local doctors in my area (I had two consultations with local docotrs and both suggested reduction rhinoplasty). I would have saved lots of time, money, my nose, and my sense of peace.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:46 AM   #39
    surreal
    (male)

surreal HB User

That's soooo bad.. It's uncompetant what the nurse did, leaving a piece of wire.... I have an upcoming consulation with Gunter and after reading your post and other people's reviews, I am having second thoughts... One guy told me to skip him and go see Denenberg (his website is a knowledge book). He doesn't think G should be considered a top doc. He consulted with him and believes G likes to do wide noses.

I don't know what to do. I already have a flight ticket and the brochure the staff sent me via mail....
    Do you think G is better at male revisions?

Old 11-15-2004, 11:04 AM   #40
    spinsta
    (male)

spinsta HB User

What's wrong with your nose? What do you want to fix? and how many surgeries have you had?

Old 12-26-2004, 11:59 PM   #41
    slcikseal
    (male)

slcikseal HB User

I just read your post, and it made me second guess whether I should go through with my rhinoplasty! How do you feel now that some time has passed and hopefully the swelling has gone down? ALso, if you feel comfortable, would you mind telling me who your doctor was? Yo

[ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

Thanks
    steve

Last edited by moderator2; 12-27-2004 at 05:47 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 12-27-2004, 09:02 AM   #42
    spinsta
    (male)

spinsta HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slcikseal
    I just read your post, and it made me second guess whether I should go through with my rhinoplasty! How do you feel now that some time has passed and hopefully the swelling has gone down? ALso, if you feel comfortable, would you mind telling me who your doctor was? Yo

[ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

Thanks
    steve
    Hey- yeah def. second guess it if your happy right now. I wasnt unhappy at all, I just thought it could look a little better and I got screwed. The doctor was Jack Gunter in Dallas. He sucks, he totally recommends the same thing for everyone. He told me I needed a rib graft when I didnt need that at all, and he seems tot diagnose all his patients the same way. If you do go ahead with it, make sure you consult a lot and feel comfortable with the doctor you pick AND that he spends a lot of time with you going over what you want.

Closed Thread