It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Set for my consultation with Dr. Pensler (Rhinoplasty) this Friday!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2004, 08:24 AM   #31
    Worrytomuch

Worrytomuch HB User
    Re: Set for my consultation with Dr. Pensler (Rhinoplasty) this Friday!

wow lovely2, sorry you had such a bad experience with him. I do think that he is a good ps, but when something does go wrong, he should be a stand up guy and try to make his patient happy. I'm just going to hope that I never need to go to him with any problems.... So far, so good

A good friend of mine also went to him for a BA. She looks great but she wants to go larger. He refuses to give her more cc's even after she offered to pay for it again. He told her that if she went any larger she would get stretch marks. I wonder, does this make him a good doctor or a bad one? Like I said before, he does what he wants to do and really doesn't listen to what his patients ask for. But in my case, it worked out better. Afterall, he knows more about plasic surgery than we do so maybe his oppinion is worth something. It all depends on what you want I guess....

Good luck to everyone considering cosmetic surgery. I hope you all get exactly the results you're hoping for!

ps - I did a lot of research on Dr. P before I had my surgery. I even had a friend's dad who is a ps in CA give me info on him and he said that he's an exceptional doctor. But it is very dicouraging to hear about the way he treated Lovely. I'm so dissapointed!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2004, 05:26 PM   #32
    awfdml

awfdml HB User

I've got a rhinoplasty scheduled with Dr. Pensler in less than 12 days. I cannot tell you how nervous I am. Especially after reading these posts. I had a pretty good second consultation with him and he pretty much told me that if the results do not look as close to the picture as possible, that that is the only time he would consider a revision.

I liked what he told me he would do to my nose. There are alot of risks that I dont think Dr. Pensler would like to take. I asked him to make my nostrils smaller and he said no because it would affect my breathing. According to what he told me and what I want it seems as though both of us are in sync. I can't help but think that you are almost always going to find a doctor, especially in plastic surgery, that has patients who are unhappy with their results.

I think you can do alot of research and get alot of opinions from people but the scariest part about all of this is that you have to have some sort of "faith" in the doctor you choose. Right now, I'm trying very hard to keep that. My instincts are telling me that Dr. Pensler is going to do a good job and understands what I want...but it is just a matter of time before I find out if it is the case.

I will of course update everyone on my experience and if anyone has any advice please share....

Good luck to everyone who's lookin...

Old 11-04-2004, 12:48 PM   #33
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

awfdml...you know, I am sure everything will go as planned. I'm sure the results of the procedure will be what you want. I was told by Penslers office that he does 4 rhinos a week - that's a lot of experience.

I am set to meet with another ps in two weeks for a consultation for rhinoplasty, that will be my 3rd that I have met with. Out of the 2 I've met so far, Pensler is my choice.

Yes, keep us updated. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:15 PM   #34
    awfdml

awfdml HB User

So the day after tomorrow, I'm getting my nose done...AHHHHHH!! Just thought I'd let everybody know how I'm feelin...this msg is probably not going to provide anyone with any useful information but rather I thought I'd tell everyone that I'm beyond NERVOUS!!!! Tomorrow I'm tying up a few loose ends, getting my bed at home set up, etc....

I'll be on again to share my experience sometime after Monday....pray for me and for those who dont believe in God, wish me luck, and for those who dont believe in luck, well...I'd just hope you'd wish me well!!! hehe

Old 11-14-2004, 09:08 AM   #35
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

awfdml...I am sooo sooo sooo excited for you! I can't wait to get mine done. I'm so happy that you're going to let me know how each step goes. I'm definately getting mine scheduled in February to have it done in mid-May. Don't worry, I'm sure everyone gets nervous - I know I will be. I think hearing from you will definately help. How is your tolerance for pain awfdml? I'm so happy for you. I look so forward to having mine done. Everything will be fine I'm sure. From what I hear it sounds like swelling is what throws alot of people off on how their results will be. But hang in there, stay positive, because the swellings got to go down to see your true results. I know you have surgery tomorrow, so I don't expect you to get right online and tell us everything....but you can bet we'll be here waiting for when you do!

Old 11-15-2004, 07:41 PM   #36
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

It's 9:40pm central time and I'm wondering how awfdml's surgery went today....I'm thinking this to myself! How was Pensler to you before and after I wonder. Hope to hear from you soon awfdml, but post when you feel up to it.

Old 11-17-2004, 04:22 PM   #37
    awfdml

awfdml HB User

Well, I am recovering very nicely from my rhinoplasty surgery on Monday. Let me share what happened and Ill get into how Im doing now.

So on Monday I arrived half an hour early (like Dr. Pensler told me to). I wore a zip up sweater, sweats, sneakers, glasses, and a baseball cap. I got into the waiting room and one of his assistants handed me a stack of magazines to get my mind off of the surgery. Surprisingly, I was very calm. Its only when she asked me if I was nervous that I started to get nervous. She told me that one of the things Dr. Pensler says is that "If the patient isnt nervous, then I start to get nervous" So I thought, nows a better time as any to get those nerves working!! So I waited 20 minutes while she got the paper work ready. She came over and kinda summarized what was gonna happen. She told me that I would need to sign some forms and then she asked for payment which I gave her. She informed me that Dr. Pensler and the nurse Lori would be getting together with me to prep me for surgery. I gave his assistant the number for the person that was going to pick me up. I had the option of having him park the car and pick me up from the office or having the nurse take me out of the building in a wheelchair. I chose the latter option so he wouldnt have to pay for parking. You have to be released to a responsible adult.

So when the papers were ready, I got taken back to the room where I had my checkup during the consultation. I met Lori at that time. By the way up until this point, I had seen Dr. Pensler once while he was walking out of the office, he said hi and told me that his assistants were getting everything ready. Back in the office with Lori, I had to put on these paper footsie thingies and then I sat down to fill out the paper work. I can tell you the details of what the forms stated if you want to know but it was basically stating that you authorize dr. pensler to perform this surgery on you and you understand that there are no guarantees and u understand the risks, etc.

There were 6 pages total, not too long. While I was filling that out, Dr. Pensler came in and asked me again if I was allergic to anything or if I had anything to eat. I hadnt eaten from the night before and had an afternoon surgery. Get this, while Dr. Pensler was asking me about my allergies, he sneezed so I started freakin out cause he sounded stuffy and it seemed as though he had a cold!!! I wanted to get up and walk out cause I was SOOO scared but Dr. Pensler assured me he was fine and that his eyes would get watery occassionally...Hmmmm??? Not a good thing to tell some one right before you are about to operate on their face...BUT I calmed down and had a few questions for Dr. Pensler. I asked him again about what he was going to do and he was very nice in answering them but I had a few more questions to ask him but it seemed as though he was rushing a bit. I was kinda at the point of no return here so I refused to let these things freak me out. I kept telling myself, I know he's a good doc, he knows what I want and thats all that matters.

He gave me an antibiotic and he walked out and his assistant walked in asked me to go to the washroom. In there I got to look at my fat long nose one last time!! I was beyond excited!! Then she weighed me and walked me into the surgery room.

The last time I was in the hospital was when I was born and had no serious medical issues so I was SUPER nervous once I lied down on the surgical bed. She connected me to a heart monitor and I could hear my heart beat in the room. It was beating so fast so I took a few deep breathes and Lori and Dr Pensler were great in talking to me to calm me down. Dr. Pensler put the IV in my arm which to which I had no reaction. alltaken, you asked me about pain, I have an unusually high tolerance for pain I'd like to think. So then Dr. Pensler was getting stuff ready and then they turned those bright surgical lights on. And for a second I wondered, is this the light that people see when they are dying???? Such a bad thought I know but I was nervous of course.

Dr. Pensler then drew alongside my nose to mark what he was going to do. Then Lori told me that she was going to give me some drug that was equivalent to a glass of wine, I've never had a glass of wine before but I knew that it was going to be something to calm my nerves, think it was Valium. She put it in the IV...so I was still talking to Lori and I think that was the point when I got knocked out.

I have to say that during the surgery I still felt as though I was talking to Lori and Dr. Pensler although I was just dreaming. Here was the scariest part of the experience...towards the end of the surgery I started to wake up! I actually felt Dr. Pensler tugging at my facial bones NO JOKE. I wanted to grab Dr. Pensler's arm and stop him. OF COURSE I didnt feel the pain.

Heres an example of what I mean, you know how when you go to the dentist and they numb up your face right before they pull your teeth or start drilling. You dont feel any pain but you know that somebody is tugging and yanking away at your mouth. That was the same thing that happened with my nose but I think they might have given me somemore of that anesthesia and I was fine after that.

So I woke up and realized that I was pretty knocked out cause I was talking to Lori about this guy that I liked and how I would kick his butt if he hurt me..hahaha! Dont know where that came from! I started to come to and Lori asked me about my ride, of course it took him a while to find the place. I asked Lori if I could see my face and instantly I saw a huge difference!!! All I could see was the tip cause I had the splint on my face but I had a droopy tip and it was GONE!! Granted I was bloody around my nose and stuff but Lori cleaned that out. I asked if I could sit up, I knew I was kinda still out of it cause I think I asked Lori the same question ten times. I asked her where Dr. Pensler was and she told me he was with another patient. I was enjoying my time with Lori though, she's very very nice. Coulda been the anesthesia but even before that I enjoyed talking to her. So Lori put me in the wheelchair and on my way out I shook hands with Dr. Pensler and said bye to his staff. Of course his building has a bunch of offices in it so the elevator was crowded with ppl. I had brought a cap with me so no one would bump into my face. Unfortunatly, it was raining and I had no umbrella so I just used the folder to sheild my face from the rain as Lori was wheeling me over to the car. (TIP: bring an umbrella or have your ride bring one.) And off I went to recover in my bed...

I felt completely fine after surgery, no nausea, no headaches nothing. I was a little tired and I thought maybe the original drugs they gave me was the reason why I wasnt in any pain but I havent been nauseous or I havent had any pain since. My face was not swollen on the first day but the next day woah baby!!! And today its even poofier, it looks kinda funny actually! Lori called me hte next morning to see how i was doing. You know it really isnt that bad. and its true what they say it looks so much worse than it is. Right now the area around my eyes is swollen and there is some bruising but I feel just fine. One of the things that concerned me was that I was bleeding alot the first day and on tuesday. Lori told me that I will continue to bleed if I keep moving around alot and that I should just stay in bed for 5 hours at a time until today or Thurs. There is still some drainage but not blood so i have gauze under my nose (Lori gave me a pack with some tape).

Of course I cant wait to get this splint off my face and lying around in bed aint no fun but I'd rather be doing that than going to work and I was long overdue for a vacation so this works out great. I feel great and I can see the tip of my nose looks great. All in all, I have to say the experience was good. I mean I didnt have as much attention from Dr. Pensler as I would have liked but to me all I wanted was for him to do a good job and he was very nice when I did talk to him. Of course the major concern as discussed on these boards is how he treats his patients afterwards and that were gonna have to wait and see. All I am concerned about is if my nose looks good and that there are no complications. Im gonna get my splint removed on Monday which will probably be even more nerve wracking then going to the surgery!!

So that was my experience in detail on Monday. I am feeling pretty good about picking Dr. Pensler. It looked like he did a great job but I'll have to fill u in once I see my entire nose on Monday. Let me know if you have any questions about ANY part of my story or if there's something you want to know that I didnt talk about. Ive got plenty of time to answer questions

Old 11-17-2004, 06:50 PM   #38
    jason_arntz
    (male)

jason_arntz HB User

Hey, Im glad the surgery went well for you... congrats!

Im just wondering... did you use general anaesthesia or local and sedation? Since you said you felt like you were talking to them, im not quite sure.

Thank you

Old 11-17-2004, 06:56 PM   #39
    awfdml

awfdml HB User

thanks...I'm 90% sure hey used local and sedation on me...

Old 11-19-2004, 08:14 PM   #40
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

Hi awfdml! I was not expecting such a fast reply back from you so I apologize for not responding sooner.

It sounds like everything went fine for you. That's great. I wish I were in your shoes. I can't wait to get my surgery done. That's really something how you said you started kind of waking up during surgery! I do know what you mean about the tugging part and not feeling anything. I had braces, so before they put the braces on I had to have teeth pulled, I guess I had too many. So I do know what you mean, that is weird.

That's kind of funny that you were telling Lori about some guy. I hope I don't say anything dumb when I start waking up

I'm so excited for you. You'll be getting your splint off on Monday. Hows the pain so far? What about any bruising? I know everyones different. Has it been hard keeping your face dry? Or at least your nose? Do you feel stuffy? How is your breathing? Sorry I'm asking so many questions!

It sounds like you're feeling pretty confident, that's great, because that makes me feel more confident in the decision I will make too. Let me know how Monday goes. I can't wait to do this!

Old 11-19-2004, 10:24 PM   #41
    awfdml

awfdml HB User

You know the only problem with pain I had was when I was eating pizza the other night. They say its not good to eat stuff that requires you to chew alot but I was cravin pizza. It kinda hurt my facial bones and gave me a little headache afterwards but I was fine after a few minutes. I havent taken a tynenol or anti-nausea pill yet

I'll give you an example of what this feels like. If you just take your fingers and put pressure between your sinuses by your nose and slighty push down on your nasal bone, that's what the pressure feels like, its very slight but you know theres something on your nose.

The stuffy nose is a pain not physically but its annoying. I have gotten used to breathing through my mouth, I originally was going to use a humidifier but I was told NOT to have any sort of steam or moisture around the splint. Occassionally, my nose would clear up and when it did, I tried breathing through my nose and it was great Before my nose drooped so low that I always felt the heat of my breath on my upper lip but now I DONT. It stays stuffy all the time and today was the first day that I havent had any drainage. That's the other nasty part, is you have to wear that gauze and then when you sleep you swallow some of that stuff and I'm getting sick of the taste. Sorry gross but thought id let you know.

I have had minimal bruising, its at a point right now where its slightly yellow under my eyes. I heard a rumor somewhere that if you drink pineapple juice a few days before your surgery and during recovery that it would help decrease the bruising so Ive been drinking away, I figured it wouldnt harm anything and I think by Monday I'll look back to normal. Most of the swelling is gone too.

Keeping my face dry has not been a problem at all. I use a big washcloth to wash my face, one end with the soap and the other with the water. My mom washes my hair for me and I make sure that the window and door to the bathroom is open so that no steam collects in the bathroom. When I take a bath, I have my mom fill the tub with lukewarm water cause I am paranoid about keeping away all of the moisture from the splint. It was something Lori specifically warned me about. I usually take a shower or bath in steaming hot water so this was an adjustment.

The one thing I do notice is that my tip is kinda reddish, meaning that the swelling from around my nose is probably going away but I think my nose itself will be swollen. Its weird, I can feel my pulse in my nose. Anytime I move to go to another room or do some sort of movement that increases blood pressure, I feel it more and more. Its not like a thumping but you can feel it. Lori stressed that I should move around as little as possible.

Oh ya and here's my biggest complaint about recovery thus far is SLEEPING. I do not sleep on my back very well, I'm usually a face in the pillow or hanging off the bed kinda sleeper So sleeping on my back is such an adjustment for me. I wake up with some back sores in the morning. So if you're like me, before your surgery get yourself used to sleeping on your back and my bed sucks so make sure your mattress is comfortable cause it'll make being in bed for so long so much more tolerable.

I'm counting the hours where I can get this splint removed and the crustiness in my nose flushed out (gross sorry)

I'll let u know how everything goes on Monday and ask as many questions as you want. All I'm doing is lying down on my back waiting to knock out and sleep

Old 11-24-2004, 01:30 AM   #42
    rosedew

rosedew HB User

hello everyone,
    this is my first post..i am 40/f, french and living in germany. english is not my first language but i hope i wont have problems making myself understood
    i have been a silent reader on this board for over a year, but this particular post prompted me to join...i had my first rhino almost 22 years ago and now am considering having a revision. as i approached my forties the not so perfect result i had had became even worse (b/c of skin thinning, tip cartilage looking more prominent, etc.) i saw a rhino specialist last week, and he said i will have to have cartilage grafts. i am still looking forward to reading more of awfdml's input, and from anyone who had revision with cartilage grafts...i have already done extensive internet research on the subject but personal experiences are always better
    my surgery is set for mid-january, and i will try to be around on this board as often as i can for more information and support...
    thanks for listening,
    rose

Old 11-25-2004, 09:57 PM   #43
    jason_arntz
    (male)

jason_arntz HB User

Hey awfuldml, just wondering how long was your surgery... cause a surgeon said mine would take between 2.5-3 hours and i wanted to do it under local/sedation... but i couldnt imagine doing that for that long... are you sure they didnt use general on u?

thanx

Old 11-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #44
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

Hey everyone. Just so that you know I tried posting on ThanksGiving day and it wouldn't work. I typed so much too and I lost it all!

Hey awfdml, I just want to say you are so great for posting what you're going through, I appreciate that so much.

Awfdml, I don't care how gross you get in your post - I want to know about EVERYTHING. So don't leave anything out. What kind of drainage do you get? What is it?

I am definately going to try the pineapple juice then if it's suppose to help with the bruising. Anything to help minimize it.

I have heard to stay away from water when it comes to your nose while its in the splint. Also to steam too. Sounds like you have it worked out pretty good. I know that you have your splint off so I'm just dying to find out how you're doing now.

I know you have to take it easy during the first week for sure, but how long do you have to be that way? As far as your activity level, what are you able to do?

I don't think sleeping will be much of a problem for me if you've got to sleep on your back. Do you have to sleep with your head propped up? Do you really have to stay in bed most of the time?

How are things going for you now? What do you think so far? I'm sure everything is going as planned and that you will like your results. I can't wait to hear from you!

Old 11-27-2004, 05:53 PM   #45
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

Rosedew...is it normal for someone to go through rhinoplasty and then have to have a revision years later? Or not? I guess it probably just depends.

I hope everything goes well for you in January. Will you be having the surgery in Germany? Have you been to the U.S. before?

Take care.

Closed Thread