It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• 20 and above Females with moderate acne cysts.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User
    20 and above Females with moderate acne cysts.

OK, I have been going all over this board trying to find girls that have acne like mine who are about my age. I am 23 now with moderate (but annoying and ugly!) cystic acne. or atleast most my lesions are that. Now when I say cysts I dont really mean really huge ones. they stick and stuff and some are deeper than others. they are smaller "around" than say a writing pen cap end. lol if that illustrates well. Some have a white spot I can gently pop, others doní when I look up acne all I see is the clustered kind that is all over peoples jaw line and cheeks. I dont have that. mine are randomly everywhere, mainly my T zone,. I get an occasional small zit in my cheek or cyst on my temple (that started within the last 2 or 3 yrs. It started when I was mabe about 16 and it was very mild. I got cysts though. Just 1 or 2 here and there. Not bad. Now I can get up to like mmm 5 at a time and have just started seeing mild scaring on my fourhead and temples. Before it would just leave a dark spot that would leave eventually bad ones mabe taking months. That didnít bother me! Dark spots that go away I can handle. Actual scars no. I think I have been careless with picking though.

I guess I just want to talk to anyone whoís breakout seem about the same as mine to see if the pattern is about the same, how is scaring for you? what helped, what doesnít? so onÖ

What have I tried? Well, antibiotics (didnít work that good and caused me other problems) I donít think that is good for you. Lots of topicals, BP, SA, sulfur (still use cause it atleast helps) tretinoin, differin, and NOW Im on Orth Tri Cyclen Lo (donít think its working seeing I had the worse break out ive ever had here recently. Been on it month and Ĺ. Anyway Im going to try diet now. Im hoping diet can help cysts

LAST concern. SCARINGÖ Every website I read the say cysts are the most severe scaring types of acne lesions bla bla, well yeah they are deep and they hurt but Ive not really had a huge problem with scars till just a few minor ones now. Dark spots is about it. Im scared that Im in for a rude awakening and someday they will start to scar me for life. I now you skin as you get a lot doesnít heal and handle things as well but hopefully I will have grown out of this to some degree. I may have it for life because my mom has really oily skin and gave it to me apparently. She got cysts and still gets one here and there in her late 40s. she said Im worse than she was at her age and that upsets me L But mabe if Im dealing with them now I wont have them as long as her J she has a few scars on her outer nose under her eyes. I donít get them there that much and donít have any scars there. I know this is long but I just wanted to see what kinda response I could get.

Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to LkK2507:
    missfaye22 (04-19-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
    annafcolbrie
    (female)

annafcolbrie HB User
    Re: 20 and above Females with moderate acne cysts.

I'm 25 and would say that I have moderate ( sometimes more severe ) acne with cysts like you. I don't have the clustered kind either. I mostly break out on my cheeks, (not close to the nose but closer to my ears and down toward my jaw), my jawline and sometimes my chin. The cysts usually turn up on my jawline or cheeks. I do have some scaring from cysts along my jawline and a ton of red spots left from old breakouts.

I don't get a lot of cysts anymore since cutting down on dairy. I used to drink milk with meals, now I don't drink milk at all and I only use it in cooking sometimes. I am hopefull that more dietary changes would help my acne.

I was on minocycline for 3 months. It helped a lot but didn't completely clear me. I won't go on it again because I want to stay away from antibiotics. I did get sick a lot at the end of my treatment and for months after stopping minocycline. Bacterial infection, bronchitis, vaginal infection and eye infection. I don't know for sure that the antibiotics had anything to do with it but I rarely get sick otherwise so I'm thinking it caused an imbalance.
    Right now I'm on Ortho tri-cyclen, which was started in anticipation of going on accutane. I just changed my mind a day before starting treatment. I'm still taking the bc-pills because I'm not sure if I could stop in the middle of the month. I may even continue taking them to see if they help. My oiliness has been reduced dramatically but I'm having a pretty bad breakout on my neck which is new since starting bc-pills. Maybe it's just an initial breakout.

It sounds like your body is good at healing itself. Hopefully you won't get a lot of scars.

Anna

Old 12-01-2004, 02:34 PM   #3
    Katrina
    (female)

Katrina HB User

I am 25 now. At age 23, I started getting bad cystic acne in the same exact areas of the face as you two do. Although I always had acne, it just got much much worse over these past 2 years. It is somewhat attributed to stress (changing from college to real work and real life!) but I finally realized the change was mostly a direct result of the birth control I was on (Orthocyclyn). For some reason, that stuff just made it worse. After trying many things, I can finally say that my skin is the clearest it has been in months. I attribute 100% of my success from these boards and the ideas I have gotten from them. I switched to Yasmin, which is the major help. I also switched face cleaner to the Aurmore indian soap that I use twice a day, washing with my fingers only (don't scrub cysts with a washrag- I finally realized how worse that was making them and how much longer it took them to heal!). I take 200 mg of Alpha Lipoic acid a day to prevent future red marks and keep down inflamations. I continue to use differin gel at night along with Oil of Olay Total Effects moisturizer (with anti-inflammatory properties and many good vitamins for acne-prone skin).
    I don't know if this will help you, but since our acne is similiar, it is likely that yours is hormone related. I have heard nothing good about orthocyclin-lo for acne prone skin. For one reason, that is because it is low in estrogen and is not anti-androgen.

Good luck and keep in touch with what works for you!

Last edited by Katrina; 12-01-2004 at 02:34 PM.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
    BJM04
    Veteran
    (female)

BJM04 HB User

I'am 32 yrs old and still break out..I wouldnt say it's cystic acne...just typical pimples..more in the t zone area...I tried the ortho tri cyclen birth control pill and my skin broke out way worse..I gave it like 4 mos nd stopped..I'm currently using Klaron a topical medication from my doctor..seems ot be working slowing..I also ahve dark spots from old pimples...picking is my down fall....

Old 12-01-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User

Thank you all for your responses and I hope to hear more. I feel like my acne is so unique. I think Im going to quit Ortho Lo its not made me much better if not worse. can it do that? make me worse? do you think I will get even worse when I stop?? I wonder if i should try regular Ortho?

Dairy huh,, I drink a ton of milk as Ive always been told its good for me and I love it. I could cut it out though. Ive been trying to drink alot of water lately...

My life has been stressfull the past year due to some events, job change, relationships you name it, not to mention I am a HUGE worrier. I love this board but sometimes I wonder if Im just stressing myself out just getting on here way too much. I just want to Trust God and take the best care of my skin as I can but Im still trying to find the right method. I think I may be setting up a derm appointment here with a different derm that doesnt just want to perscrib me antibiotics...

Thanks girls

Last edited by LkK2507; 12-01-2004 at 05:23 PM.

Old 12-01-2004, 06:33 PM   #6
    Katrina
    (female)

Katrina HB User

If you are switching BC pills, you might want to try Diane 35, Yasmin, Desogyn or Ortho-Tri (in order of effectiveness, according to other posters). I wouldn't switch to just orthocyclin though. I know from experience that that doesn't help and I think it made it worse. I've heard alot of people say that Ortho-lo made their skin worse so I am not surprised. At least this way you know what is aggrevating yours- hormones!

Old 12-01-2004, 07:25 PM   #7
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

I just turned 27 and started getting my cysts when I was 24. I had a lot of stressful things going on in my life at that time. I was also selling Mary Kay which I assumed was the reason I was getting them-from using those products. But, I quit selling and quit using them, and they didn't go away. Then I moved from the midwest to CA and they were still there, they were there until four months after I moved to NV. I saw a dr about it and she gave me a lotion that she uses for her acne cysts. Mine were on my chin line or low cheeks. I would squeeze and squeeze and nothing would happen. They were a purple/grey color and man did they **** me off. My face would be clear except for those. I even got married with them. So, in 2003 (feb, when I was 26) my dr prescribed a sulfur lotion-sodium sulfacetamide 10%, Sulfa 5%. And they were gone, haven't had one since and I don't even use the lotion every day. NOW, they could have been due to 100% stress-when I saw her, my stress levels dropped-I got the job I had been missing since I left the midwest, hubby got the perfect job too. We had pets and had money and things took a huge change. I can't say what really helped, but the lotion isn't expensive, worth a try if you haven't already.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:22 PM   #8
    fadeaway1289
    (female)

fadeaway1289 HB User

i'm 26 years old and have moderate cystic acne also. i had mild acne in high school but i started using proactiv for the past few years and it helped. it suddenly stopped working and now i'm breaking out more than ever. mainly cysts on my chin and jawline and recently on my cheeks. i switched to proacne it helped for a few weeks then stopped. I went to the dr and was prescribed a bp face wash. that didnt help. I went to another derm and was given plexion cleanser, duac, and vitamin a. the plexion made my skin look very pale and sickly looking. and i had a very bad reaction to vitamin a (cluster of six cysts on my jawline). i'm currently using klear action and the duac. its helping to dry out my skin because its extremely oily but doing nothing for the cysts. i cant get them to go away!! its very frustrating and annoying.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:35 AM   #9
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User

I feel ya, Ive been getting really down about it lately. most of your guys break outs seem to get the on your cheeks and jaw. I used to never get them there. like I said mine are worse on my T zone (chin, forehead and occasional on my outer nose) Now I get a few here and there on my cheek and jaw but they arent usually huge. seems like the skin there is more prone to scaring and redness or something though. right now I have one close to my jaw line. its not too hateful though I guess. Ive had a ton of zits in my life and I dont have but a few very minor scars, just dark spots that go away eventually. do you think its cause your T zone area is less scar prone?

When i said I was going to switch BC pills I meant to switch from OTC Lo to regular OTC, is there an even different one? just called "OrthoCyclin"?? I didnt know that. I dont know if i want to try OTC or not. I guess it wouldnt hurt. is it bad for you to be on BC pills just for acne?

I might try that Sulfer lotion. I use a sulfer spot treatment for exsisting zits or healing ones I should say. its by Murad. it works good and diminishes the puffyness of the over night. Thanks

Last edited by LkK2507; 12-02-2004 at 06:40 AM.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:29 AM   #10
    BJM04
    Veteran
    (female)

BJM04 HB User

The ortho,ortho tricyclen and orthotricyclenlo birth control pills didnt work for me as far as helping with acne...infact it made my breakouts worse...I was told my my dermotoligist a long time ago Demulen wasa good birth control pill to use to not aggravate breakouts...I've since stopped that one with no success and Now i plan on givng ALesse a try...

Old 12-02-2004, 08:30 AM   #11
    BJM04
    Veteran
    (female)

BJM04 HB User

Still trying to find out if anyone out there has tried Klaron for acne..

Old 12-02-2004, 09:07 AM   #12
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User

I have not, what is it. have you heard of it working for more cystic type acne like I have?

Old 12-02-2004, 10:56 AM   #13
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

seriously, am I the only one who got rid of them? I am trying to help, really, ask your dr about this lotion-takes a month at most before you know if it worked or not, mine went away after a few weeks. I have been cyst free now for almost one year-and I don't use it every day. It will not hurt any to try.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:06 AM   #14
    annafcolbrie
    (female)

annafcolbrie HB User

Mel, does the lotion you're talking about have a name other than what you gave in your earlier post? I don't get a lot of cysts anymore since cutting down on dairy but I get them once in awhile. Does it help for other breakouts too?
    Are you completly clear now?
    Do you have any scarring and if so have you found anything for that?

Anna

Old 12-02-2004, 11:19 AM   #15
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User

I wrote that lotion stuff down I will definatly look into it. And you know what! I was just talking to my mother and of course I have skin just like her and she had the same acne I have. she has tried alot and one of the things that she said helped her the most was this stuff called Sulfiset R or something. she used it as like a makeup foundation. Mabe sulfer is a good thing for cysts?? she said she can never find the good version of it anymore there is all genaric and I has never worked as good. She is 47 and still gets an accasional cyst but hers has gone away for the most part her skin is kinda scared around the nose. She never had them on her cheeks either like I dont. Thanks mel I will look into that. wow your cysts were greyish purple? mine are just red. did you have alot? and what part of your face did they attack mostly?

Closed Thread