It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Why does damage to the cervix cause fertility problems?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2004, 07:42 AM   #1
    redstarr987
    (female)

redstarr987 HB User
    Why does damage to the cervix cause fertility problems?

My husband posed this question to me. Because isn't the cervix just a passing through for the baby? The egg and fetus is actually in the uterus so why is a scar in the cervix a threat to pregnancy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
    karen32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

karen32 HB User
    Re: Why does damage to the cervix cause fertility problems?

Sometimes scar tissue will build up and prevent the cervix from opening - or result in a smaller passageway to the uterus. From what I have read this is very rare, though.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
    scaredincollege

scaredincollege HB User

it does not neccesarily cause FERTILITY problems with the exception of the os of the cervix closing up (where the dialation takes place and the sperm enter). If this happens then the doctor can easily open it back up. The thing to be the most concerned about is miscarraige because the scar tissue is so fragile that it sometimes cannot take the weight of the fetus and a miscarriage occurs. There is also a few thing the doctor can do to prevent this.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

It's not a fertility issue with a damaged cervix, it's an issue on whether that cervix will hold a baby for 9 months. If not, the dr will insert what is called a cerclage (a stitch) to ensure a healthy pregnancy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redstarr987
    My husband posed this question to me. Because isn't the cervix just a passing through for the baby? The egg and fetus is actually in the uterus so why is a scar in the cervix a threat to pregnancy?

Old 12-03-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KimRick
    It's not a fertility issue with a damaged cervix, it's an issue on whether that cervix will hold a baby for 9 months. If not, the dr will insert what is called a cerclage (a stitch) to ensure a healthy pregnancy.

Has anyone had a miscarriage from a LEEP or multiple LEEPS??

I hear some doctors tell their patients they can't get pregnant due to there cervix being scared.

My nurse told me anything done to the cervix except a colop and a pap smear hinders pregnancy...

I haven't heard a sad story yet for a woman due to having a leep. Some women even have kids after having a cone operation and that's the most advance treatment for getting rid of cells.

I thought our cervix was able to heal and grow back any tissues lost

Old 12-06-2004, 07:11 AM   #6
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

There are PLENTY of women who go on to have multiple children after LEEPs. Being infertile means that you are not producing eggs in order to become pg, not that your cervix can't handle the pregnancy. If you should become pg after a LEEP, your dr should insert a cerclage in your cervix to close it up. If your dr sees that your "infertility" is because of scar tissue build up, he can manually go in there and "open" your cervix enough to let sperm through to the egg. Yes, the tissue on your cervix does regenerate over time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cocoeyes
    Has anyone had a miscarriage from a LEEP or multiple LEEPS??

I hear some doctors tell their patients they can't get pregnant due to there cervix being scared.

My nurse told me anything done to the cervix except a colop and a pap smear hinders pregnancy...

I haven't heard a sad story yet for a woman due to having a leep. Some women even have kids after having a cone operation and that's the most advance treatment for getting rid of cells.

I thought our cervix was able to heal and grow back any tissues lost

Last edited by KimRick; 12-06-2004 at 07:12 AM.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:49 PM   #7
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
    There are PLENTY of women who go on to have multiple children after LEEPs. Being infertile means that you are not producing eggs in order to become pg, not that your cervix can't handle the pregnancy. If you should become pg after a LEEP, your dr should insert a cerclage in your cervix to close it up. If your dr sees that your "infertility" is because of scar tissue build up, he can manually go in there and "open" your cervix enough to let sperm through to the egg. Yes, the tissue on your cervix does regenerate over time.
    Oh thanks God! that is good to know.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:56 AM   #8
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

I was worried about the same thing. I already have an 8 year old girl and I would like just one more (a boy preferably) baby!

Quote:
    Oh thanks God! that is good to know.

Old 12-07-2004, 03:28 PM   #9
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
    I was worried about the same thing. I already have an 8 year old girl and I would like just one more (a boy preferably) baby!

Did you have more then one leep?

Old 12-08-2004, 06:49 AM   #10
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

I've had 2 in the last 7 years.

Quote:
    Did you have more then one leep?

Old 12-08-2004, 02:57 PM   #11
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
    I've had 2 in the last 7 years.

Before or after having kid's?

Old 02-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #12
    Ivana
    Inactive
    (female)

Ivana HB User

Actually, the tissue removed from the cervix does NOT grow back....It simply heals. That is why multiple surgeries to the cervix MAY weaken it but not necessarily. That is why women with an incopetent cervix need a cerclage to strenghten it during the 2nd trimester. It would be wonderful if the tissue did grow back...then we wouldn't have to worry about weaken it. Cervical incompetence is not a common problem and we cannot predict which woman will have htis problem. Most likely it happens with extensive treatment such as cone or cold knife treatments or with multiple treatments.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #13
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivana
    Actually, the tissue removed from the cervix does NOT grow back....It simply heals. That is why multiple surgeries to the cervix MAY weaken it but not necessarily. That is why women with an incopetent cervix need a cerclage to strenghten it during the 2nd trimester. It would be wonderful if the tissue did grow back...then we wouldn't have to worry about weaken it. Cervical incompetence is not a common problem and we cannot predict which woman will have htis problem. Most likely it happens with extensive treatment such as cone or cold knife treatments or with multiple treatments.

I know a girl who was born with an incompetent cervix and had to get her cervix stiched twice (had two kids). Now someone with an incompetent cervix that never had a leep can have two kids within two years of each other why can't those who have mulitple leeps?

Old 02-22-2005, 08:43 PM   #14
    lobo1977

lobo1977 HB User

i think the thing to think about is ANYTHING is possible. there are many things that can be done to help, and with close monitoring people are doing better post leep/cone these days. i've read/heard of a LOT more success stories than failures, although im sure its very dependent on how careful/closely you monitor yourself. I read about .05 and .1 percent chance of problems, even if thats doubled or tripled, its still not a lot.......

also im not sure, but being born w/ an incomp. cervix may not be the same as having one due to procedures - where there may be scar tissue and issues that came from the actual procedure being done ?

Old 02-24-2005, 07:24 PM   #15
    sam0831
    (female)

sam0831 HB User

I had a cone biopsy in November 2003 for stage 1 cancer. I got pregnant in December 2003 - because of the cone, I developed an incompetent cervix and after close monitering by an excellent ob - had a cerclage (stitch) placed in my cervix at 20 weeks, it was a fairly simple procedure but did require a spinal (yuk) and an overnight stay in the hospital. at 25 weeks I went into labor and had to stay on bed rest/hopital until 34 weeks, but thanks to the cerclage, my baby was born healthy and perfect at 36 weeks. I also know several women who had similar successful pregnancies after a cerclage was placed

Closed Thread