It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• My accutane diary

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2004, 01:57 PM   #16
    AnitaPita
    (female)

AnitaPita HB User
    Re: My accutane diary

Wifey,
    My acne story is similar to yours. I am going to be 30 in a couple months and I never had acne until my 20's. At first it was a few here and there in random places. Then when I was about 24, it got bad. I had clogged pores/blackheads up the wazoo and "regular" pimples. Then a year later the cysts started. Anywhere on my face.
    Thats when I tried all the antibiotics, Differin, Retin A, Clindmycin, peels, BCP, ETC. The only thing that worked decent for me was Proactiv but that only lasted a year then my face blew up again.
    Now I have figured out a regimen that works for me, I need alot of exfoliation. Now my skin is smooth and *almost* acne free. But I still get painful cysts that last for weeks and never come to the surface. And its all on my chin and jawline....and sometimes on my cheeks. I am sick of this ****! Luckily I have only a couple pitted scars but I have lots of red marks. I want to get Accutane but I am wondering if the doctor will say no. To someone on the street...wouldnt know I have cysts or acne because I am able to cover it up with makeup. I wonder if my doctor will think my skin is not bad enough.....I am so sick of getting my hopes up when my skin is clear for like 4-5 days....then I can feel one of those nasty BUMPS brewing under my skin.......When I go to the doctor I will make a point not to wear any makeup so all of my red marks will be revealed.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 08:02 PM   #17
    bella_victory

bella_victory HB User

I am on my third week of accutane-started at 40mg and just was raised to 80mg. I have had excessive drying of the face (pretty bad on my skin and around my nose for a couple days but better now), chapped lips that no matter how bathed in Aquaphor they are don't seem to get any less chapped, slight dryness of eyes (especially in rooms with ceiling fans) and other than that not to much. My nose is a bit dry on the inside but my derm recommended a humidifer which I bought this weekend. My hair is also less oiler...thank goodness it's a miracle.
    I am 28 and have battled acne since my teens. I resisted being put on Accutane when it was suggested to me at the age of 22 and again at 25 because my acne is not what I thought people who took accutane had...well after sitting at home because my face was broke out when all of my friends were out at having fun and nothing (antibiotics, proactive, micro-dermabrasion, gytone, glyerm products, etc) seemed to work...I decided on accutane.
    Is anyone else taking 80mgs yet? I was suprised my derm raised me so quick (I weigh 120 lbs) but she said if I was going to commit 5-6 months of my life to going through it, I might as well go all the way...I guess so. Has anyone seem the initial breakout period. I've been very worried about this as I over the last couple of days a new pimple has come up on my cheek and I haven't broken out there is years...breakouts normally on my chin and jawline.
    Also, is anyone using anything to help with exfoliation?
    Sorry for all the questions it just looks like a few of us have started right together and just wondering how everyone else is doing. Good Luck!

Old 12-09-2004, 05:34 PM   #18
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User

Day #21

Nothing changed. No new pimples. Lips still dry but not peeling/cracking. Face is slightly dry or more like "not oily".

Last edited by Wifey; 12-09-2004 at 05:34 PM.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #19
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User

Day 29

I saw my derm yesterday and she raised my dose from 40mg to 60mg but she wants me to split it and take 40mg in the AM and 20mg in the PM. I told her how I'm not that dry, not even my lips and she said that not everyone gets very, very dry. She said it might increase with the new dosage.

I don't have any new pimples (cysts or regular). I do have this one from August that is still there. I can squeeze stuff out of it every day! It is flat now instead of feeling like a marble under my skin. She told me to leave it alone and if it's still there next month, she'll inject it with Cortisone.

I asked her if there's anything I can do for my red marks and she said no. She said fade creams don't work on red marks and that only time will fade them. I was hoping for a miracle, but I guess I'm not getting it.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #20
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User

Week 7

Since my last post, I have had 2 cystic pimples. They are healing now. My blackheads are really clearing up. I'm still not that dry. My lips are dry, but not chapped or cracked. My face is still dry in a good way. I'm surprised since I see so many of you with extreme dryness.

Last edited by Wifey; 01-04-2005 at 09:13 AM. Reason: wrong info

Old 01-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #21
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

i just had some cortisone injections this morning- it was awful. i've been on the accutane for about two months and been "flaring" the entire time. it absolutely sucks, but the end result should be worth it. this last time was less like a flare, more like an attack. the doc even took samples from one of my cysts--eeeew!!! and then injected the heck out of them, there are probably about eight of them. and i'll be going back on the prednisone and getting on cipro too, as well as decreasing my accutane dosage from 60mg/day to 20mg/day and then building back up again. this is the absolute worst. it's not cover-up-able with makeup, although i pile the stuff on anyway! acne is bad enough when your in your teens and twenties, but at 30 it's quite unseemly. and i have to go pick my son up from kindergarten all swollen and gross. not happy, but hopeful nonetheless. is anyone else on antibiotics with this stuff?

Old 01-18-2005, 08:36 AM   #22
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User

Day #61

Now my face is completely clear of pimples. I still have some red marks though since I could never leave them alone. I am still not overly dry. I am just not oily. It feels good after years of having very oily skin and always worrying about shine. My lips are dry but I'm using all sorts of lip stuff (blistex, etc) on them. They FEEL dry, but they don't LOOK dry.

I am pleased with the accutane so far.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #23
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User

Ok, I am now around week 11. My face is still clear. I'm still not overly dry, either. Although I am getting bloody noses now. Yuck. I've been using Simply Saline Nasal gel. I know this might be TMI, but I put it on a q-tip and rub it inside my nose. It helps.

My lips are dry, but not gross. They are dry enough that I can't really wear lipstick cause it looks gross. But they look fine with gloss.

My blackheads are gone. My pores are still big, but I don't think anything will help that.

Closed Thread