It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• how can a person keep their hdl from dropping when their ldl drops?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
    how can a person keep their hdl from dropping when their ldl drops?

I have noticed that when my ldd and trigs drop, my hdl also drops. I've noticed that other posters show the same thing. How can we stop hdl from dropping when lowering cholesterol? Can this be don?

I admit that i know very little about this matter. My good cholesterol Hdl was as high as 65, but then my bad cholesterol, ldl was 212 or something high.

Please help me to understand if i can lower my ldl, trigs and tc without lowering my hdl. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2004, 08:50 AM   #2
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
    Re: how can a person keep their hdl from dropping when their ldl drops?

Niacin therapy typically increases HDL while lowering LDL and trigs. That's why some doctors are now combining niacin therapy with a statin. I think there is one prescription med out now which combines the two.

Niacin therapy alone does a better job of raising HDL than with lowering LDL, so it may not work for those who have very high LDL. However, my LDL's have been as high as 275, and I got it down to 101 with a combination of diet and niacin.

See my thread about my blood test results for more details.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:03 AM   #3
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

I've heard that sustained-release niacin may be better for lowering LDL, while immediate-release niacin is best for raising HDL.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
    I've heard that sustained-release niacin may be better for lowering LDL, while immediate-release niacin is best for raising HDL.
    I believe that is right. However, I didn't do too badly with the sustained-release I've been taking. (And I HATE the flush of immediate-release.)

It might not be that obvious from a quick look at my figures, but I brought my TC/HDL ratio down from 4.0 to 2.6 since starting the niacin therapy a little over a year ago, and I am taking less than what is often considered a therapeutic dose of niacin. There is no doubt that further improvements in my diet helped the ratio, too.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:24 AM   #5
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Well, you've certainly made quite an improvement. Another advantage of using niacin is that it promotes a favorable shift towards Pattern A LDL by increasing LDL particle size. So, even if LDL is not lowered as much by niacin as compared to statins, it promotes a far more benign LDL sub-type, which statins do not. In addition, niacin may even lower Lp(a), where as statins sometimes elevate it! I have used niacin for many years with good results. When I added an enteric coated garlic supplement which has been standardized for a minimum of 4,000mcg allicin, it bumped my HDL up even further.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:51 AM   #6
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Can diabetes take niacin? Also would i have to have blood work tests done the same as statins?

NEVER MIND! I JUST READ ANOTHER THREAD THAT ANSWERS THIS. I guess i can't take niacin.

Last edited by jtu91952; 12-11-2004 at 10:55 AM.

Old 12-11-2004, 11:22 AM   #7
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    Can diabetes take niacin? Also would i have to have blood work tests done the same as statins?

NEVER MIND! I JUST READ ANOTHER THREAD THAT ANSWERS THIS. I guess i can't take niacin.
    I've read some places a definite no. I've also read "only under very carefully supervised medical care." I imagine some doctors do try it if the patient is having too much problem with statins, but I doubt it be a first choice for them. It probably requires much closer monitoring than for those without a glucose problem. It doesn't increase glucose in everyone, but it does often enough that it is a concern. It didn't have any appreciable effect on mine.

Old 12-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #8
    Tobias
    Veteran
    (female)

Tobias HB User

Besides taking pills, are these methods of raising HDL worth mentioning?

Food dos: garlic & raw onions, foods high in soluble fiber, monounsaturated fats such as canola or olive oil; omega-3 fatty acids such as found in fish, dark green vegetables, cold-pressed flaxseed oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, canola oil; soy products such as tofu, tempeh & TVP.

Food Doníts: transfatty acids, hydrogenated shortening and the prepared food products that contain them; refined carbohydrates such as sugar and refined flour;

Lose weight.

Engage in regular aerobic exercise.

If you smoke, stop.

If youíre so inclined have a glass of wine or a drink each day.

Donít eat an extremely low-fat diet. Instead avoid saturated fats and trans fats and substitute mono- and polyunsaturated fats instead.

Old 12-11-2004, 12:07 PM   #9
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

It all sounds pretty good to me.

Old 12-13-2004, 04:41 PM   #10
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Thank you all. I don't think i want to try niacin, and everything else mention i was doing b4 but stopped. I guess i have to go back to eating garlic and a healthy diet.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #11
    jerry78
    (male)

jerry78 HB User

According to studies by Dr. Dean Ornish and others, when LDL is at a nice low level, then high HDL is really not necessary.

HDL goes high in order to remove the LDL from your blood. Their analogy is: Think of LDL as garbage, and HDL as garbage trucks. Thus, the less garbage (LDL) in your blood, the less garbage trucks(HDL) needed to clear the garbage(LDL) from your bloodstream.

So, with a nice low LDL, don't confuse a risk factor (low HDL) for disease. HIgh HDL is need when LDL is high.....but when you have your LDL at a nice low level, there is no progression of plaque buildup, so therefore, lots of HDL is not necessary.

Closed Thread