It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Taking Accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #16
    Crapple67
    Inactive

Crapple67 HB User
    Re: Accutane Journal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopeless118
    does anyone else feel like aquaphor dries out their lips and doesn't last long. I've heard a lot of people don't like carmex, but I find it helps keep my lips from getting chapped much more than aquaphor.
    Aquaphor seems like the only thing that will keep my lips hydrated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 09:34 PM   #17
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User

My eyes haven't gotten dry at all. Aquaphor does a great job of moisturizing and healing for me, but I can only put it on at night because it makes me look like shiny plastic lol. I will put some on my lips during the day, but not too much because my lips shine too much.

I use Cetaphil face wash because it is so gentle. I bought it right away when I started Accutane. When I used it, I couldn't believe it was a legitimate product. I felt like it didn't clean at all. However, after a few days / weeks my face was just not oily or dirty at all. I used Cetaphil and it was like perfect... very rejuvenating. Out of curiosity I tried using the stuff I used to use (St. Ives medicated acne scrub), which I really don't understand why, but while I was rubbing it on my face I kept thinking wow this isn't so bad. After I washed it all off, my skin turned bright red. The next day it looked like my face had mild sunburn (the night I washed my face it was like severe sunburn). The redness lasted at least 2 or 3 more days. Case in point, don't mess around while on Accutane. Stick with Cetaphil, it is perfect. I am just curious, what about after we are done with Accutane? Are we supposed to keep using Cetaphil or are we supposed to go back to other stuff? I was also using Neutrogena face wash / mask with 3.5% benzoyl peroxide and absolutely loved it. I wish I could still use it.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:39 PM   #18
    Crapple67
    Inactive

Crapple67 HB User

I wear contacts and the only dryness of my eyes have started this month, month 4. My eyes are bloodshot usually nothing too bad. It doesn't hurt or anything. I don't really care at all actually. I love accutane.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:50 AM   #19
    munchkin2
    (female)

munchkin2 HB User

I'm a 24 year old female and I'm on day 54 and my lips are killing me. I have tried everything from flavored chapsticks like Dr Pepper to Carmex, nothing seems to last very long. I haven't been able to wear my contacts for several days now, my eyes are so dry and even putting drops in them doesn't seem to work, but I guess I can deal with glasses for a little while. My face is very dry, I have to put some cream the derm gave me on twice a day. But my face was so oily that I have to blot with a paper towel every couple hours cause if I didn't it would look like it was wet-very unattractive. My back is killing everyday all day worse in the evening when I get off work. I can't lay straight on my back, but I had back problems before I started the meds. It isn't unbearable just not pleasant. Drying other places besides my face and lips. Has anyone else had any drying on their scalp? I did have oily hair also and had to wash it everyday now its not real dry it just isn't as oily if that makes sense. But right by my hair line it is flaking a little bit. I had a break out yesterday but I think it has to do with female issues. The ones I do get don't seem to stay around very long like they were doing. I was going a couple months with the cyst nodules on my chin just waiting for them to come up out of my skin then another couple months waiting for them to heal, now the ones I've gotten the come up in about a day or two then gone in about two days. I've started getting small ones on my checks never had that happen before.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:02 AM   #20
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User

In regards to the dry lips - you have to apply chapstick religiously all the time. I probably reapply chapstick every hour of every day. If you eat, drink, talk, lick your lips... anything, you will need to reapply chapstick.

I also had semi-oily hair and after only about 2 weeks (40mg / day) my scalp got SO dry and incredibly itchy. It was unreal. I started using Head and Shoulders and now it's all under control.

As far as back problems - do you work out at all? One of my chiropractor friends was telling me that strong abdominal muscles actually help with back pain. Muscles always work in pairs, just like pretty much everything else in the body, and your abdomen and back work together. If you do sit ups or crunches or run your abdominal muscles will strengthen and that will help with posture and ease your back pains. Additionally, getting to a gym and working out will help you feel really great all over and will also make you feel like a brand new, rejuvenated person. Weights are not just for guys...

I've heard some people say they don't clear up until the last month or two of their treatment. For me I was fortunate enough to clear up completely in the first 2 months. You just have to give it time and take care of yourself. What dosage are you up to now?

Old 12-16-2004, 01:01 PM   #21
    acneruinsesteem
    (male)

acneruinsesteem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CollegeBoy21
    In regards to the dry lips - you have to apply chapstick religiously all the time. I probably reapply chapstick every hour of every day. If you eat, drink, talk, lick your lips... anything, you will need to reapply chapstick.

I also had semi-oily hair and after only about 2 weeks (40mg / day) my scalp got SO dry and incredibly itchy. It was unreal. I started using Head and Shoulders and now it's all under control.

As far as back problems - do you work out at all? One of my chiropractor friends was telling me that strong abdominal muscles actually help with back pain. Muscles always work in pairs, just like pretty much everything else in the body, and your abdomen and back work together. If you do sit ups or crunches or run your abdominal muscles will strengthen and that will help with posture and ease your back pains. Additionally, getting to a gym and working out will help you feel really great all over and will also make you feel like a brand new, rejuvenated person. Weights are not just for guys...

I've heard some people say they don't clear up until the last month or two of their treatment. For me I was fortunate enough to clear up completely in the first 2 months. You just have to give it time and take care of yourself. What dosage are you up to now?

So did you just use regular chapstick, like the ones u see in strwaberry, cherry, mint, etc...? I am on carmex, and I like how it is very thick and stays on your lips for a long time, but I heard that is does not moisten very well.

I am happy to say that I am done with my finals (im a freshman in hs)!!! It is such a relief. When I go back to school in January I bet my face will be soo much better.

Ive got a question, but i dont know if anyone will know it tho. My cousin is also on accutane, and she bleaches her arm hair. I heard tht you cant wax or anything like that, but does that apply to bleaching arm hair? If any of you know, let me know. Thanks.

Im glad everyone has been posting! Just think, in months we will have wonderful skin.....!

Old 12-16-2004, 09:17 PM   #22
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User

I was using mint Chapstick (from the Chapstick brand) and it worked well. I am using Blistex moisture chapstick (it comes in a blue tube) - it works ok, but before I was on Accutane this was such awesome chapstick. Oh well. Aquaphor is just amazing. I put it on my face, lips, arms, hands, neck, back... wherever I am dry, before bed after I get out of the shower. When I wake up my skin is so smooth and not dry at all, plus it just looks like a million bucks. If I don't put Aquaphor on I'll tend to have some dry skin pop up throughout the day and it's more sensitive. Aquaphor is the only way to go...

I'm glad you're done with your finals, I still have one left on Monday. I'm a senior in college now but it's never too late to have nice skin. It's funny because my skin was never really bad... it was just bad in my eyes really, but after only 2 1/2 months on Accutane I see how 'bad' my skin really was (only because my skin now is just flawless). I don't have any pit scars, red marks, active pimples... not a thing. Only 2 more weeks at 80mg / day then I'm going back down to 60mg / day. So for me it's pretty much all down hill from here.

As far as bleaching and waxing and stuff... DON'T DO IT!!! Your skin is SUPER sensitive now. If your cousin bleaches her arms they will probably get very red and stay that way for some time, plus they will get very dry and flakey... it's just not worth it. How long has she been on Accutane? Why not just shave them with a razor blade every few days / weeks until she's off? It sucks, but it won't be nearly as bad as if she bleached it and she will only have to keep up with the shaving until her treatment is done. It's just one of those things, the price to pay for clear skin. Anyway, good luck to both of you guys with your treatment / side effects lol.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:14 PM   #23
    acneruinsesteem
    (male)

acneruinsesteem HB User

Thanks for the info, I will let her know.

I can not wait to be moved up to 40 gm. I got a compliment today from my friend, she has been so supportive, and it made me feel so good. Its nice to have someone I can talk to about it at school and know they wont tell anyone.

Good Luck. Talk to you all soon...

Old 12-16-2004, 11:56 PM   #24
    curiousP
    Veteran
    (female)

curiousP HB User

hey guys,

I just started accutane 4 days ago, so I guess I will be posting here a lot. For starters, my acne is only on my face, everything else is crystal clear. Even on my face, my acne really only liked my cheeks and I get like small skin colored bumps on both my cheeks and chin. HOwever the acne on my cheek was not just these little bumps, I hardly ever got pimples but when I did they were usually cysts.

I started off at 20mg for one week and will start 40 mg on monday.

will keep you posted!

Old 12-17-2004, 09:43 AM   #25
    acneruinsesteem
    (male)

acneruinsesteem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by curiousP
    hey guys,

I just started accutane 4 days ago, so I guess I will be posting here a lot. For starters, my acne is only on my face, everything else is crystal clear. Even on my face, my acne really only liked my cheeks and I get like small skin colored bumps on both my cheeks and chin. HOwever the acne on my cheek was not just these little bumps, I hardly ever got pimples but when I did they were usually cysts.

will keep you posted!
    Thanks for posting! Do you having any pitted marks or anything? My acne wasnt horrible, but I was starting to develop marks and slightly pitted ones. I finally wanted to end all of this, and most of us know that Accutane is really only the thing that does it for us. In about a year when accutane has been long over, I will begin some Smooth Beam Laser Treatments (by Candela) with my Aunt. This will work on scars. Normally treatments for that specific laser are about $250, but with a family discount, she can do it for $115. And unlike blue light treatments, this is only done once a month, and also works to help remove any scarring. Good Luck! I will let you know how everything is going. I can't wait until Dec. 23rd when I move up to 40 mg!!

Take care

Old 12-17-2004, 09:43 AM   #26
    acneruinsesteem
    (male)

acneruinsesteem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by curiousP
    hey guys,

will keep you posted!
    Thanks for posting! Do you having any pitted marks or anything? My acne wasnt horrible, but I was starting to develop marks and slightly pitted ones. I finally wanted to end all of this, and most of us know that Accutane is really only the thing that does it for us. In about a year when accutane has been long over, I will begin some Smooth Beam Laser Treatments (by Candela) with my Aunt. This will work on scars. Normally treatments for that specific laser are about $250, but with a family discount, she can do it for $115. And unlike blue light treatments, this is only done once a month, and also works to help remove any scarring. Good Luck! I will let you know how everything is going. I can't wait until Dec. 23rd when I move up to 40 mg!!

Take care

Old 12-17-2004, 09:52 AM   #27
    acneruinsesteem
    (male)

acneruinsesteem HB User

I was wondering if anyone wanted to post where they are from and if it has anything to do with their acne condition.

I live in Arizona, which has very dry heat. Very minimal humidity. Even right now in winter, it is 60degrees, with a high os about 70. During the summer when I fly to michigan to visit relatives, I notice a breakout due to the change in humitidty I am guessing. I also notice that because of this humidity, I do not need to apply as much lotion to my face and body because it seems to be naturally more moist. My skin is also more oily in those conditions. Let me know whtat you all think.

Also**My skin is not as oily as it used to be! Accutane is starting to kick in.... Hope this thread becomes big!

Last edited by acneruinsesteem; 12-17-2004 at 11:05 AM.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:37 PM   #28
    bella_victory

bella_victory HB User

I am trying to find out if anyone here has used a topical steriod cream while on accutane to help with the healing process...I posted on the board but no one responded...have any of use used this? I'm suprised that no one has any experience with this...thanks

Old 12-17-2004, 08:09 PM   #29
    acneruinsesteem
    (male)

acneruinsesteem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bella_victory
    I am trying to find out if anyone here has used a topical steriod cream while on accutane to help with the healing process...I posted on the board but no one responded...have any of use used this? I'm suprised that no one has any experience with this...thanks
    I know I hate it when no one responds...Well it seems like you are at the right place then because I am trying to get this thread more popular! I am not sure about using a steriod cream while on accutane. By that do u mean something liike retin-a? Let me know. I will check with my aunt, she work at an obgyn/gyenecologist office that specilizes in facial treatments. She used to do laser work on me. I will ask her, she is very knowledgble in that field. Let me know, I would be glad to help. I hope you use this thread often! The more the merrier.

Tony

Old 12-17-2004, 11:50 PM   #30
    curiousP
    Veteran
    (female)

curiousP HB User

tony,

yeh I have like a few maybe one or two very minor indents that I heard chemical peels and microderm will probably get rid of (keeping fingers crossed). I went on accutane for the same reason, so that I wouldn't get any more and so I could move on with my life. I am getting bumped up on MOnday to 40mgs, kinda apprehensive though because I am fearing the initial breakout. Right now I can feel like 3 or 4 bumps (like cysts) underneath the skin, but I am hoping the just go away and don't have to surface.

Take care!

Closed Thread