It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Brest Agumentation...Pros and Cons???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
    MissGooberLynn

MissGooberLynn HB User
    Question Brest Agumentation...Pros and Cons???

Hi all I am considering having breast implants (have been thinking about it for many years now) and I would like your imput. The pros and cons, the price ($$) and how do I find the MOST qualified surgeon? (there are so many surgeons in my area I do not know who is the best) Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 06:28 AM   #2
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User
    Re: Brest Agumentation...Pros and Cons???

pro larger boobs

con: too many to list.......

Mudhound

Old 12-12-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
    JustK
    (female)

JustK HB User

I had this done 14 years ago and I have been so happy with my choice. I was 40 years old and had 2 children. My breasts weren't that small but had lost the fullness they once had. I love the results! I did a search for board certified plastic surgeons then also did a search for those who were most qualified for that particular procedure. After that I started asking around to see if anyone had recommendations. I need to have mine redone. Like I said it's been 14 years. The surgeon I used the 1st time suffered a stroke years ago and is no longer practicing. Luckily I found another surgeon who trained with him and he is the one I'm considering for the 2nd procedure. As far as the cons, I don't have any since my surgery went so well. Finding the right surgeon can make all the difference in the world. Do a lot of research and good luck.

Old 12-27-2004, 04:35 PM   #4
    SpunkyChick77
    (female)

SpunkyChick77 HB User

I am having my breast implants removed after two years. I HATE them. I see I am unable to post websites on this board, so please allow me to encourage you to please research before you get implants. Read stories of women who've had them explanted. Once you get implants, you will need another surgery down the road because the life of the implants, especially saline, is very short (1-10 yrs. life) and silicone is downright dangerous and toxic.

My first plastic surgeon made me 100 cc's larger than I wanted and left me at 23 with a saggy mess. I have never been comfortable - I live in sports bras as the large underwire from my "D" bras cut into my armpits. I can always feel my implants, the awful water balloons that they are - even though they are implanted under my pec muscle. I went from a 36 B - 38 D. I am miserable and have shoulder and back pains with them. I would encourage you to do more research into implants - even saline are not safe. I am counting the days until my awful water sacs are removed. Getting implants was the most stupid thing I've ever done to my body. I've regretted them since I got them.

Last edited by SpunkyChick77; 12-27-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:39 PM   #5
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Spunkychick.. Why do you think your experience was so terrible? Just because he overfilled them bigger than expected? Maybe if you opted for smaller implants you would be happier?

Old 12-30-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
    jansy
    (female)

jansy HB User

first of all why do you even need to get bigger boobs??? who really cares. i have small boobs and i am happy with them. if its for saggy reasons i GUESS i can understand but even then, you grow, they will sag. get over it.

if you get implants they can leak, your breast can start dimpling, there can be an infection, and lots of other stuff can go wrong. its just not worth it to look pretty.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:09 PM   #7
    SpunkyChick77
    (female)

SpunkyChick77 HB User

Juici -

I needed a mastopexy with my lift. I requested MUCH smaller implants 280cc's and my ******* of a plastic surgeon implanted too much larger (380's). This surgeon performed a Benelli lift (incisions around the areola), which did nothing to help with my saggy breasts. My before and after photos show absolutely NO improvement. All this surgeon did was make me larger and saggier. My entire implant experience has been awful. I know of many other dissatisfied women who've had their implants removed and are much happier. In many cases, even with saline implants with their silicone shell, has been making women sick. All I encourage this poster to do is more research and hear BOTH sides of the implant issue.

Old 12-31-2004, 05:16 PM   #8
    Ron

Ron HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissGooberLynn
    Hi all I am considering having breast implants (have been thinking about it for many years now) and I would like your imput. The pros and cons, the price ($$) and how do I find the MOST qualified surgeon? (there are so many surgeons in my area I do not know who is the best) Thanks!

Hi Lynn,

A few important things to consider....
    -Your reason for wanting the procedure...
    Reasonable reasons:
    -disease
    -malformed breasts,
    -uneven breasts,
    -saggy pancakes after nursing too many children,
    -great body, but breasts are from he_l

Not so good reasons:
    -he is paying for them and wants you to get them (It must be your idea)
    -tired of every 12-year-old looking better in a bikini than you do,
    -trying to attract a mate, (what will you attract)
    -school reunion, (they will have their problems too)
    -lack of self esteem (you may not be able to handle the attention)
    -Wanting what Hollywood stars have.. (what.. lots of failed marriages)

The most important thing to do is research.. a board certified surgeon with
    a long list of successful outcomes is most important.
    Friends who are happy with their outcomes can be a powerful reason, but there are no guarantees you will get the same result.

Expensive is not always a requirement.. a lot has to do with the area and
    clientelle. Expect to pay $4 to $8 thousand, more if a lift is needed.

The lift is where major scarring and loss of sensation is likely.
    Better to go a bit larger than to risk the complications of looking like Dr Frankenboob worked on you.

Look at pictures of before and after on other patients... Some doctors seem to have a one size fits all mentality. Pay close attention to those who look like your before pics.

Remember that a properly done job will look like your breasts did at their best,
    but bigger. (if you had malformed breasts, you will have less reason to be
    unhappy, since any improvement would be worth it to you.

If you think that new attachments are going to change you, it may...
    It could cost you an insecure husband. It could attract the wrong type of
    attention. It could make your girlfriends envious to the point where they
    will not want you come around because of the way their husbands react.

They are not maintenance-free. Often a redo for bigger will be your next
    wish within a year. Always go 100 cc larger to prevent this. (Muscles do pull them in.)

If you are tiny, with a small ribcage, always ask about high-profile implants which allow for narrower width and more projection with no increase in CCs. You don't want them in your armpits.
    It is also easier to get a bra to fit if they are not too wide.

Type of placement... Under the muscle is most common
    "Tuba" (through belly button) requires an artist

Armpit incision (Not as common, but best chance of not causing nerve damage, or infection.. also easier to shape the pocket because muscles
    are not in the way of placement. Many docs don't do it this way.

Below breast incision will scar and you may be unhappy if you compare to
    other methods. Longer recovery, chance of hematoma, internal scarring,
    sagging if too much muscle has to be moved and restitched. if you are
    getting a lift, the implants can be put through the nipple incision

Nipple incision.. fine if you need aereolas to be made smaller at the same time.

Regardless, of what you choose, just think of the cost of all those trips to
    holiday islands. If you are going to hide them under a sweatshirt all the time,
    who else but you will care if you had anything done? If your hubby is the jealous type, he may never let you go out alone without worrying.

You will have to wear a bra most of the time to protect your investment
    from gravity. Some will have to be specilly ordered or custom made if you
    get carried away with size.

Recovery can be a week to a month or two before you can use your arms with any strength.

Good luck.

Last edited by Ron; 12-31-2004 at 05:20 PM.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #9
    contagiousone
    (female)

contagiousone HB User

Hi. I debated the decision to have implants for years also. Finally at 34, I had them. I went from an A to a full C. I love them! I have been blessed as to not have had any problems with them thus far. You really need to find a qualified surgeon. I think the best way is word of mouth. That's how I found mine. Also, make sure you are doing this for yourself, and no one else! Good Luck! Just so you know, I probably thought about it for 10 years before I finally got the nerve to do it. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have waited at all!

Old 01-05-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
    debyduper
    (female)

debyduper HB User
    Talking Re: Brest Agumentation...Pros and Cons???

Hi! I have had implants for well over a year now. After having a child my breasts were, well, just not the same anymore. I also had always envied these full busted women wearing these cute tops that just wouldn't "work" on me. So, I saved up the money, researched some surgeons, and after many consultations and questions I went from a small b to a much larger size I am very happy with the result,but you must be careful in choosing the right doctor-go with your instincts and with who you feel the most comfortable with,not with who your pocketbook is most comfy with Mine were $5300.00,which is more pricey than most simply because I am picky. Believe it or not, with good credit you can buy boobs on a payment plan at almost any plastic surgeon's office now. I chose to save for mine however. The implants smoothed out my stretch marks I had and brought everything into proportion. The pain for me was not that bad, but everyone's tolerance for pain is different. Mine are "under the muscle",I do not know how much you know about implants. The procedure is now considered a minor surgery and is a "same day" operation. Getting "new boobs" is fun, and you do not realize how much emphasis is put on that area until you have them. Trust me! Well, good luck! Feel free to ask me any questions! I live in tn.

Last edited by debyduper; 01-05-2005 at 10:03 AM.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #11
    tundra

tundra HB User
    Wink Re: Breast Agumentation...Worked For Me!!

There are always good and bad experiences with about any procedure, and folks do this particular one for too many reasons to list here! I had mine augmented nearly two years ago, and I must say that at first I really hated them--all the new found attention was weird to me, and I just couildn't get used to them being larger at first. I started out a super saggy nearly B and went to a full C. BTW--I never had kids, but after "a certain age" things just go with gravity! I really have grown to like them, and I love the way I (for the first time in my life!) look in clothing. My hubby was also against having the procedure at the time too--worried about the surgery itself, plus all the horror stories you hear, plus, he liked them just fine (or so he said) as they were. In the end, it was ultimately my money and my decision. I researched my PS thoroughly and had a tummy tuck and BA at the same time. He does beautiful work, and even my gyno, who has seen a LOT of augmentations over the years, says mine are some of the best she's seen. Hubby also says they have turned him from a lifelong leg man into a breast man. Most of what you will read on the web will be the horror stories, but its also mostly the squeaky wheels and dissatisfied people who tell their stories on the web. I'm here to say that the whole experience has been nothing less than positive. Just make sure you research your PS well, and you are both on the same page when it comes to size, placement, expectations, and possible complications! Good luck with your decision, but I have found the majority of experiences out there have been positve, not negative!

tundra

Old 01-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #12
    koilover
    (female)

koilover HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Brest Agumentation...Pros and Cons???

I am totally AGAINST it. My cosuin did it because of a growth abnormality in puberty not for any other reason. She had one of the TOP surgeons in Manhattan and he botched it up. The implants turned really hard, like tennis balls. Had them removed and others put in. Turned hard again.

Had another surgeon work on her again removal of the old ones and new ones put in. Looked gorgeous for about 9 months and then they turned really hard and instead of the nice breast shape turned hard like balls. She got into an accident and one ruptured giving her the opportunity to have them totally removed.

When she had them she couldn't even hug people without feeling like hardballs were there.

I am so totally against this surgery and I'm pro plastic surgery but not this kind.
    Look at all the women you see on TV who have them. They look so fake. they don't move and they look like balloons.
    Sorry I feel so strongly about this.

Last edited by koilover; 01-09-2005 at 05:16 PM.

Old 01-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #13
    tundra

tundra HB User

What happened to your cousin is known as an encapsulation contracture, and it is one of the possible complications of the procedure. The implant itself doesn't get hard, but the body forms a very agressive scar tissue around the implant because it sees the implant as a foreign invader. This can happen with any sort of implant, or medical device, not just breast implants. There are conflicting views as to why it happens to some and not to the others who get implants. Some think it has to do with contaminants on the surface of the implant, while others say it is due to the texture of an implant (ie: textured are less likely to form contracture than smooth style implants) and others say it has to do with placement (ie: submuscular is less prone than implants placed above the muscle). My Dr says he finds it just mostly has to do with how you might personally form scars, as in if you are more prone to keloid or hypertrophic scarring, or if you just form regular scars. All inplants need to form a bit of scar tissue around them, but for a few people, it forms very thickly and causes a contracture. I think before doing these procedures, folks need to know the complications, and they need to know their own bodies. If you have a history of heavy scarring, the chances go up, but it still isn't a given since many that form contracture with the first set will often be fine with a subsequent set. You didn't really say much about these situations as far as your cousin is concerned, so maybe you don't really know all of the facts or possible underlying reasons for this situation. It can happen to any Dr. no matter his expertise since different patients will oresent different scenarios, but contracture isn't really something that is due to a bad boob job, it is just how the body will react for some. As far as women on TV goes, I think you are wrong since breast augmentation is still the most requested surgery to this day, so someone is liking what they see considering celebs are about the biggest reason we want to look a certain way. Granted, some aren't that great looking, but that holds true with many things (ie: ugly facelift procedures a la Joan Rivers, Priscilla Presley, etc...), and different surgeons have different skill levels--just because you are a celeb doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a good plastic surgeon. It is still very unfortunate your cousin had to go through such a thing, and I feared the same would happen to mine--in fact, you are never totally out of the woods with a medically implanted device. They can develop a contracture years down the line. That happened to my mother in law. Her left breast was reconstucted after mastectomy, and developed contracture about 9 years post operation. Either way, it is just best to know your body, and to find a surgeon who can give you the straight facts about possible complications. Still and all, this is not something that happens in the majority of operations. As of this point, for me, it was one of the best decisions I made!

tundra

Old 01-12-2005, 04:40 PM   #14
    kikilacrot
    (female)

kikilacrot HB User

Look for a board certified Doctor. Look at his work and see if you like what he or she shows you. A Doctor has a certain style or signature you could say. 6 years ago I had a lift and implants and I am still happy with it today. My concern was safety first and to look real and natural. So i looked for a conservative surgeon. It took a little longer to recover then I had expected. It was because of a bad reaction to pain killers. Nothing serious and I would do it again.......

Old 01-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #15
    koilover
    (female)

koilover HB User

You certainly seem to know your stuff.
    The point of my message was to say there can be negatives. My cousin had the first operation at 18 after the doctors were sure her breast growth was over and due to many reasons too personal to mention, (growth abormalities) she had the surgery and was happy for a very short time.

She had surgery at 18 and again at 18 1/2 to correct the first botched one (very expensive Manhattan doctor at the time...long since retired). They (both sets) got hard in a matter of 3-4 months. She lived with the rock hard breasts for years.
    Went to another surgeon, had a different brand implanted with fuzzy texture. Looked gorgeous great surgical job. In 9 months hard as rocks and changed shape to ball shapes. Had them removed , had another set implanted, same great surgeon different type implant to see if they wouldn't encapsulate....., got hard again. Had car accident and one broke due to seat belt, and leaked. Had them removed but it couldn't all be removed due to scarring...what a mess.
    BUT after all she went through, the cost, the emotional upset, the ups the downs when they were removed she was so happy to have the foreign objects gone. It became such a worry that she had nightmares about them getting hard and what she would look like at age 50, etc. Obviously with all she went through it was a large part of her life for years. And with age she realized different priorities.
    Another thing younger people must realize is if you plan on getting pregnant breast feeding is another issue. Speak to your doctor about this.
    Certain class action law suits insinuated that your children could develop problems (cancer) if the breast augmentation material leaks into the milk.

Most people here are very pro augmentation and if it went well for my cousin, she and I would be pro, too. But I feel it's my job to tell you what you seem to never hear on TV. And you are 100% correct. Some people are prone to scarring. She will never have this procedure done again. She is definitely prone to scarring, but she had no idea this could happen. Each surgeon, each procedure, they promised her or swayed her into thinking this was the time it would work. She even qaulified for another prodcedure to be paid for by insurance and she said without hesitation NO WAY!
    And due to all that surgery on her breasts she has to have mamographies every year to make sure cancer isn't growing...that's another thing to consider.
    I am not trying to be an alarmist. I'm just telling you a personal story that any woman should know before they make that decision.

Closed Thread