It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

• anyone have experience with Provigil?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2004, 02:41 AM   #1
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User
    anyone have experience with Provigil?

Hi There, I am tired all the time and i suspect i may have CF. I wanted to know if anyone here has ever been on Provigil or is taking it now? I wanted to know how you did on the med and how effective it is/was? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, ValleyGurl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
    2tiredmom
    (female)

2tiredmom HB User
    Re: anyone have experience with Provigil?

I took it for a week and I really believe it helped me. However it is very hard to get insurance to pay for it. Most will not pay for it unless you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I have but I have to get prior authorization before they will pay for it. The weeks worth I did try was from a free trial offer from the doctors office. It is very expensive to buy. It's around $280 for a months supply!

Old 01-02-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
    Concerned Male
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Concerned Male HB User

I tried Provigil back around late April/early May of 2004. A doctor gave me a one week trial dose of 100 mg a day. I didn't notice any improvement in my energy at all during that one week trial dose. I also didn't get any side effects. In July of 2004, another doctor wanted to see if I might benefit from trying a higher dose of Provigil. He was going to have me increase to 200 mg a day. So the doctor started me out at 100 mg a day, and I started having side effects pretty quickly. I was really jittery, my mind was racing, feeling anxious, etc. I kept taking 100 mg for a little longer to see if the side effects would diminish, but they didn't. The doctor had me cut back to 50 mg a day, but I still had side effects even on that dose. It doesn't make much sense to me why I didn't notice anything at all taking 100 mg of Provigil in late April/early May, but then I had bad side effects taking the same dose in July.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:03 AM   #4
    caroleye
    Veteran
    (female)

caroleye HB User

I had the reverse reaction. It made me too drowsy to function, so I stopped it. Our chemistries are so different in how they handle these "chemicals".

LIGHT*********carole

Old 01-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #5
    riverlady
    (female)

riverlady HB User

I've been taking Provigil now for two years. It has been the best thing for my cfids.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:34 AM   #6
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Thank you all soooooo much for your replies!!!! I so very much want to try Provigil but my Dr. just wont prescribe it to me. He wants to do all these tests on me to rule everything out, well i realize that it is standard procedure to basically rule out any and all other conditions first, but i need help now, and as i tried to explain to my doctor, i dont have any insurance right now and i just cant afford to pay for all these tests. I am just sooooo tired and depressed about being tired all the time!!!!

ValleyGurl

Old 01-23-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
    sleepyguy
    (male)

sleepyguy HB User

Excuse me but what is Provigil and what does it do? WHat symptoms does it help? does it help with light headedness/balance?

martin

Old 01-23-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User

Provigil, for anyone who doesn't know, is a prescription stimulant. It was designed to be used to promote wakefulness in people with nacrolepsy and excessive daytime sleepiness. I've read that it has been used with some pretty remarkable success in CFS patients. However, I think it very wise to rule out all other possibilities before using something like this. Also, people with CFS often have exaggerated responses and extreme side effects to a lot of medications like this so you need to be careful. I haven't used it myself yet, but I want to try it soon. You never know, it could work and possibly help give me my life back. I have a question...for those of you who have tried it and it did infact work, did it improve exercise tolerance as well? What about your mood, positive benefits there as well?

Old 01-24-2005, 09:15 AM   #9
    NaeNae

NaeNae HB User

I've taken Provigil for almost 2 years and it's been a life saver for me. My Psychiatrist originally gave me samples to counteract the drowsiness from Effexor. I've been tired my whole life it seems, my doctor doesn't believe in CFS or Fibromyalgia, so I don't know. I ended up doing a sleep test a few years ago and I have sleep apnea-I wasn't even 30 at the time! So when he didn't have any samples, he tried to write me a prescription. My insurance company denied it. At the time they only approved it for Narcolepsy. Then, sometime later, they added Sleep Apnea and Night workers only. So I told my PDoc to get my records from my sleep apnea doctor and we'll see if that works. They said ok, but I had to try Ritalin or Adderall first-because it's cheaper! Great, give me an addictive med just to save money. Luckily, they both made me nauseous, so they FINALLY approved the Provigil. It was a pain in the arse! So just a story to show how hard it is to get prescribed. Even now, it's non formulary, so I have to pay $40 a month. It's the only medication of it's kind, and they know it!

It helps alot. I'm prescribed 200mg. I used to take 100 in the morning, 100 in the afternoon, but the drawback was you can build up a tolerance. So now I'm taking 200 when I know I have alot to do around the house (I'm a stay at home mom to 2 kids). It helps because I'd feel so lazy, my mind working on what I need to do, what I wanted to do, but couldn't move my body. I'd take it and without even realizing it I'd be in the kitchen doing dishes, folding laundry, etc. At first taking 2 at once it would make me real wound up, then crash and burn. That's why I broke it up. I don't have that problem too much anymore. It seems to clear your mind and not feel so hazy and tired. As for the excercise question, I can't really answer that since I loathe excersise, wish I didn't, but I'm a bad girl that way.

They have a website and last I heard, they may be comming out with an extended release version. Since I don't think we can post outside links, you'll just have to go to it's Pharmacuetical Companies website. They are under Cephalon.

HTH!

Old 02-19-2005, 02:32 PM   #10
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User

The fact that your doctor doesn't believe in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is puzzling if not upsetting to me. First of all, it is not classified as a disease as of yet; it is a SYNDROME. A SYNDROME is nothing more than a collection of symptoms that define an abnormality. Unfortunately, that abnormality hasn't been discovered yet. So, therefore, if your doctor says that he doesn't believe in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, he is either saying that he/she doesn't acknowledge the symptoms as being real or he/she believes that every case could be defined and diagnosed under a currently known disease. That's quite a statment to make and not one I would agree with. I just wanted to make that clear for you, but anyway, thanks for the advice on the Provigil...

Closed Thread