It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• 1st day on Zoloft...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
    GTIVR6

GTIVR6 HB User
    Question 1st day on Zoloft...

Greetings all...

Today is my first day on Zoloft and I'm already feeling great! Is that weird to feel less anxious and depressed on the first day on this stuff? My doctor prescribed 50mg/per day dosage. Is that a lot for an initial dose or is it about normal?

Anyone have any pros/cons to taking meds in the morning or at night? Is one preferrable? Also, is it OK to take 1/2 pill in morning, and the remaining 1/2 later in the day or early evening?

Just wondering...

Thanks everyone for the great posts!

G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User
    Re: 1st day on Zoloft...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTIVR6
    Greetings all...

Today is my first day on Zoloft and I'm already feeling great! Is that weird to feel less anxious and depressed on the first day on this stuff? My doctor prescribed 50mg/per day dosage. Is that a lot for an initial dose or is it about normal?

Anyone have any pros/cons to taking meds in the morning or at night? Is one preferrable? Also, is it OK to take 1/2 pill in morning, and the remaining 1/2 later in the day or early evening?

Just wondering...

G
    I hope you continue to feel great and the Zoloft works for you. I had a bad time on it BUT I am one of those people who has bad reactions to lots of meds. I would take it at night as many of these meds. make it hard to sleep. They tend to make your mind race. I am on Buspar and it causes very vivid dreams. I can't win for losing
    If you have doubts call the Dr. and ask to speak to a nurse or call your local Walgreens and speak to a pharmasist and ask what they think. That is just my own opionion from my experiences.
    Good Luck and I hope you continue to feel great
    xox

Old 01-05-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
    tyna
    (female)

tyna HB User

It might have a calming effect on you which would explain why you feel better.I don't reccomend splitting the dose during the day I tried that with my meds and it just made me real tired all the time but couldn't sleep at bed time.I now take it as i get ready for bed so by morning i don't have to deal with the drowzyness
    Tyna

Old 01-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
    TraceAce
    (female)

TraceAce HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTIVR6
    Greetings all...

Just wondering...

G
    Zoloft begins its real work a few weeks into treatment. However, your 'good feeling' could easily be explained by the fact that you know you're getting treatment. It's sort of like how I am with Klonopin (I'm on Zoloft too for anxiety, but I was prescribed Klonopin as a 'just in case' pill when I go out.) I feel better just knowing I have it in my pocket, and that in turn calms me down because I know if anything starts, there's something that will help me.

50 mg isn't anything. I started with 25 initially, then 50 the next week, then 75 the next, and now I'm on 100 mg (which is what he planned on putting me all along.) So 50 is nothing, really. Not a high dose at all!

I take my Zoloft at night, just because it oddly makes me tired. The effects of this kinda medication always is per user. What's good for one isn't for another. Just make sure if you get any strange side effect, you talk to your doctor. No use taking meds like that that give you extra problems!

Glad to hear you're feeling better regardless.

~Tracey

Last edited by TraceAce; 01-05-2005 at 04:28 PM.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
    kcgage
    Veteran
    (female)

kcgage HB User

I just started on Zoloft as well. I started at 25 mg and am now at 50, working my way up the ladder! I felt better as soon as I had the prescription, just knowing I was finally getting some help. I take mine around lunchtime as I find I get a bit of an energy boost. I wouldn't recommend splitting the pills though. You should take the full dose at approx. the same time every day to ensure consistency in your body. I did notice a bit of a headache the first few days on it and when I bumped up to 50 mg. Nothing too significant though.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:59 AM   #6
    wpfd

wpfd HB User

i've been on zoloft 7 or 8 weeks and i dont think it's helping that much..i don't take it at the same time everyday (a different time +/- 1 or 2 hours everday) - could that explain my not so good results?

Old 01-06-2005, 09:19 AM   #7
    kcgage
    Veteran
    (female)

kcgage HB User

Umm, I don't think so. What dosage are you taking? Maybe you are taking too low of a dose.....

Closed Thread