It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Son is sneaking food at night

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2004, 03:55 AM   #1
    mother of six

mother of six HB User
    Son is sneaking food at night

My son is 11 y/o. My issue is that he is sneaking food at night. He ate an entire box of pop tarts ..12 in each box! My husband and I have thought about hiding food but I have two other children and he has three that live with us 4 days a week. Hiding food wouldn't be fair to the other children. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how do you control it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 08:48 AM   #2
    muralsaz
    (female)

muralsaz HB User
    Re: Son is sneaking food at night

OH dear! I'm sort of in the same boat, but it happens during the day, lol. I have tried plastic baby locks on the doors, but they have broken. I guess my little boy is growing..? I wish I could help... but I can sympathise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If I just breathe, every little thing will be alright *M Branch
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
    PapaLeo
    (male)

PapaLeo HB User

I have perfectly healthy twin boys who are 13. They both sneak food constantly... It is more of an irritant than anything. I allow them to eat almost anything at anytime they want but still they sneak food into their rooms and eat it. They also try to hide the evidence LOL.
    My girlfriend gave them a box of chocolates for Valentine's Day this morning and the boys snuck off to eat them in their room. After they went to school I checked their rooms and there were the wrappers and empty boxes. I alos found an empty bag of chips and a Pringles can. I've mentioned to them in the past that they can eat snacks pretty much whenever they want and I don't even mind that they sneak food but I don't understand why they feel they need to hide the act from me.
    I'm not a hard authoritarian and they are both trim so I've actually pushed food on them.
    I'd appreciate anyone's insight into this. Is there a syndrome surrounding sneaking food?

Old 02-14-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
    off kilter
    Inactive

off kilter HB User

Locks,Locks,Locks,

Old 02-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
    sunnyripple
    (female)

sunnyripple HB User

Is there something going on in his life? Problems at school or home? Medical? Can you teach him about nutrition and food exchanges? Is he overweight/underweight? Weight Watchers is a good program to follow but I think children need to be 12 before they can join. I would explore why he has the need to eat the extra food. Good luck. I am a compulsive binger and know how difficult it is.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #6
    Karen W.
    Veteran
    (female)

Karen W. HB User

Hello,
    I have a son with downs, he is now 20 years olds, He has always sneeked food, they just love to eat. I don't know if they really understand what a full fulling is. At dinner time I have to watch the amount he eats and I have learned to tell him when he is done, I tell him we are going to save the rest for luch tomarrow, He accepts that-Just as long as he get's it for luch the next day. I have four kids in all and there were times when I had to put snack's in a different area of the house, I would bring out the snack's when it was a snack time but when they were done I would have to go and put them back in my hiding spot, other wise my son would eat them all. The other kids most of the time knew where they were, But I would always have good snacks in the kitchen like apple sauce cups, yogurt and fruit that if they did get hunger-they always had that to eat. My son had two thing's wrong with his heart-so when we go to the Doctor of a check up, he always get's on me for his weight, I wish he could understand how much they love to eat.
    Karen

Old 04-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
    sunnyripple
    (female)

sunnyripple HB User

It is probably not that people with DS love to eat more than anybody else. I think it is true that they may not recognize the full feeling and/or not make the correlation between overeating and health problems it may cause. My brother newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes) has caught on quite well that he should drink diet beverages or water, but we still have to remind him about desserts and sweets.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:09 AM   #8
    thomas3000
    Inactive
    (male)

thomas3000 HB User

My suggestion is take all the junk food out of your house, it will stop..I promise....

Closed Thread