It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Doxy. IV question....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
    trigal
    (female)

trigal HB User
    Doxy. IV question....

Hey all... I finally began my Doxy. IV treatment yeasterday. I should pose this ? to my Lyme Dr. but I don't feel like paying $150.00 for a 2 mintue discussion so I thought I would post my question here!

Can you herx within hours of starting IV? On Zithro orals it took me a few days - though on the Ceftin it took one day. In the middle of my second dose of IV last night I began feeling soooo tired and very weak...woke up this morining feeling the same and sort of tingling all over and really tired......Could this be a reaction to the Doxy. or a herx? I sometimes wonder if the herx reaction is also in part a reaction to the meds? At any rate just curious if herxing occurs at a faster pace with IV as opposed to oral (would make sense). Also, is 400 mg. a common dosage for chronic/later stage? (200mg every 12 hours). Tried the Rocephin but was allergic which is why I am doing doxy.

Thanks!
    TG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: Doxy. IV question....

Hi trigal. The dose of Doxy you are infusing is appropriate for Lyme.

I think it is possible to herx right away. But also remember you are on very strong medication and your body is fighting a severe infection. Don't forget to keep track of your symptoms so you can later pinpoint your herxes.

Hang in there!

Old 01-21-2005, 07:11 AM   #3
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

doxy made me tired and very "tingly" like pins and needles and icy kind of. It works though. I would do a search of doxy side effects and maybe that will help you determine what is from the herx, what is from the lyme and what is from the meds. The side effects were no big deal for me and the medication is effective so I just put up with the tingly stuff. It did subside for me.

good luck!

Old 01-21-2005, 07:36 AM   #4
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

Trigal, nothing to offer, sorry. I do hope you can persevere and your strength comes back soon.

question for you: were you at all afraid of the iv treatment? for some reason, I am at this time. I think it is wrapped up in all the 'unknown' and trust stuff.

I知 going back to doc for second visit - first visit for diagnostic purposes was not too good as far as my read of her - communication wise, caring, etc.

So I知 REALLY hoping to start off on oral meds as I知 already leery of her. everything on paper says she knows 'lyme', inside and out. but that doesn't completely put me at ease as far as her treating 'me'. It almost sounds egotistical but if I知 to be my own best advocate, good steward... based on my first visit with her, I just don't think I know near enough about iv meds to begin use. I suspect her attitude to be, 'I know, so just do it, don't ask...'.
    hopefully I知 wrong.

Do take care, stay in touch. I sure hear you on the 'don't wanna spend the $250 if you can get around it'... this board is GREAT!!

Rest up Trigal, sounds like your body is going to be on overload trying to handle all it is dealing with. cj

Old 01-21-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
    trigal
    (female)

trigal HB User

Thanks... I did check out some of the side effects of high dose doxy and they do seem to run parallel with a herx reaction. I will hang in there with the treatment as I would walk though hell to get this out of my system.

TG

Old 01-21-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
    trigal
    (female)

trigal HB User

Thanks cj!!! Yes, I was and still am concerned about being on IV. I maintain a very healthy/clean lifestyle both in diet and exercise and am concerned with any potential hazards of IV treatment. Even though I do put a lot of trust in my LLD, I am getting a second opinion on my current treatment protocol. My Primary Care Doctor (also a personal friend of mine) is helping to coordinate my care with the LLD is NY and suggested that I see the LLD that he has seen in NJ and whom he sends people to. He got me an appointment to see this doctor on Tuesday....He felt that getting a second opinion on treatment protocol would not be a bad thing. Well that was music to my ever doubting, not wanting to be on IV treatment ears. Regardless, I am sticking to the IV treatment - otherwise I will always be wondering ..."what if...." I just do hate the idea of having so much medicine in my body..but hate the idea of the lyme in my system even more!

It seems that so many doctors get a bit taken back when a person comes in armed with knowlege and research - must be a blow to the ego. I am not saying we are doctors (though some on this board may be!), but we should be heard and respected for our own level of intellect and insights into our bodies. The "I know don't ask attitue" IMO just makes us feel even sicker - as if we don't already feel so weak and beaten down by lyme, but then to have a Doctor who reinforces that attitude.... One of the reasons (beside driving 2 hours one way and paying $250.00 for a visit) that I decided to have my PCP in NJ coordinate that treatment was that in addition to being a friend and running partner he is a hoot and makes me laugh! We were in stiches yesterday at his office and I did not walk out broke! He outwardly admitts to not being a lyme expert but it is good to have him in my corner....

It is really bad news to not feel comfortable with your doctor. What is her treatment protocol and what lab does she use to test?

Thanks for the support!
    TG

Old 01-21-2005, 08:47 AM   #7
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

I hear ya, me too.

Old 01-21-2005, 08:49 AM   #8
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Walk through hell, that is. Looks like we both posted at the same time. You were the quickdraw.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

trigal, is the NJ doctor a Dr. L.?

Good luck at your appointment.

Old 01-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #10
    ohio hunter
    Veteran
    (male)

ohio hunter HB User

hi trigal
    i have been thru 8 months of iv rocephrin and 4 months of iv doxy. i found that if i let it run too fast it would give me the sensations you described. you might try slowing the drip rate. i think i would run 2 gm in i hour if i remember rite.
    jon

Old 01-21-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

trigal, so good to read that you have such a great relationship with your pcp. just to have someone in the profession that you can truly trust is awesome.
    i'm beginning to sound like i'm anti- docs and i've never been. i've always known to be aware, trust instinct, etc. but since 'this' rendevous, my radar level on docs has shot way off the screen, i admit. but i KNOW they are just a group of people. and overall, i like people! could go on and on here but you probably get the jest of this line of reasoning. I really am not wanting to go off the deep end with negativity towards the profession but feel very protective, guarded of self/family/health, etc. at the moment.

As to my fear question about iv's, the goofy part is that i don't really have anything to back up the fear, at least not at a cognitive level. sounds like you are more aware of the some of the riisks. it's sounds like the general thought is that once lyme has gone neuro, it's often necessary to use iv.

i just hope my doc doesn't start there. more time to gain trust, and info.
    trigal, i don't know what ALL labs she uses but i requested igenex, and she repeated back, if you want to... and had their product on hand. Strange response.

I don't know what her treatment protocol is and man would i like to know TODAY. I've searched and searched looking for others stories but nothing specific. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Did you know up front that your doc would start with orals, move to iv, etc? Or was it pending on how you symptoms responded?

The health that you've maintained going into this has got to way in your favor. Think positive and let your body heal. And until you get to your second opinion visit, may i suggest you fully trust, to the best of your ability, what treatment you are on. go with it trigal - run the race.. cj

Old 01-22-2005, 06:28 AM   #12
    trigal
    (female)

trigal HB User

I like that... Run the race...I will tap into my marathon pacing with this - no 5k but a nice long slow race.....At least I have a good excuse not to run in the -3 wind chill this morning!!!! Gee have IV must rest! Another mug of hot chocolate please

The second opinion doc is a Dr. O. in NJ. He is an infectious disease doc and I have heard that they are not always the best for lyme? but can't hurt to have a second set of eyes. I do not plan on changing treatment protocol unless I hear something profound but would take that to my LLD for his opinion.

Actually the drip seems really slow... I think the doxy was still partially frozen and it took 4 hours for 200mg in 500ml to finish. The first dose took 3 hours and the second took 2 hours.... I was wondering if one has small veins if it will just take longer? Also, I noticed since I began my meds (have the PICC in for a week before I actually started my meds) there is a lot of tenderness in the vein that is nearest to the insertion site. The site looks fine but the vein is sore.. is that a normal response to having the meds pass through? Will that pass?

CJ... I agree I usually do not have this type of attitude towards doctors either... I suppose I am finding a delicate balance between being my own advocate and respecting doctors. I never really questioned doctors in the past and all was fine, but now that I am questioning it shakes the balance a bit.

As far as my treatment protocol. It was decided to do aggressive oral treatment (2500 mg of zithro and ceftin. combo) and if my herxing continued past a month then we would switch to IV. I had a small herx on the zithro but then when I began the ceftin I entered into the herxing land of no return so we decided on IV. The neuro. /long term status of my lyme also was a determing factor.

Glad you requested igenex - good move!
    Take Care
    TG

Old 01-22-2005, 05:49 PM   #13
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi trigal. I believe Doxy IV is often infused one gram per hour. It can be caustic to the veins so you do not want to infuse it to fast. Sometimes people who use this med long-term get a port-catheter.

Closed Thread