It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Neurontin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2004, 01:30 PM   #76
    gustone
    (male)

gustone HB User
    Re: Neurontin

hi'
    I have been on neurontin for a week. I have nerve damage after a botched surgery on L4 5 in july. I have pain that starts after being up and about for 3 hours. It starts as a fuzzy feeling in my left foot. It then progrsses to a burning sensation in my left buttocks and back of left thigh. If I continue being up for more than 5 hours, it progresses to a gnawing pain in my butt, thigh, calf, and top and bottom of my foot. Neurologist prescribed neurontin, which after research I figured he would. I am only up to 500 mg so far. I notice a slight improvement but nothing major. He said I should see it kick in at about 900mg. So far I just have a heavy head some mornings when I up the dosage. I started at 1oomg for 2 days then increase 100 every other day. Does anyone out there have my symptoms and does this drug help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 05:28 AM   #77
    gustone
    (male)

gustone HB User

Neurontin has been helping me. It is like a miracle. From almost 20 hour a day in bed, to a half way normal life. I am up and about 12 to 14 hours a day without pain. I'm only at 1100mg so I know I'll feel even better as I increase. Going back to work next monday. Hope you all find the relief that I have found.

Gus

Old 09-29-2004, 12:54 AM   #78
    riceneuroni
    Veteran

riceneuroni HB User

I was on 600 mg/day and called it a miracle drug too. I couldn't go higher because of the brain fog - I needed to keep working. The dose was not sufficient to knock the pain out enough for me to walk on my feet, but enough to make the pain tolerable. I was on it about 18 months. A month after getting off it I developed severe anxiety and have been on Zoloft to control that. It's been about six months now and I still can't get off the Zoloft. I never suffered anxiety before, so I believe it is a result of the neurontin.

Old 10-10-2004, 07:26 AM   #79
    mamajo

mamajo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shirley_I_am
    [COLOR=Green][B][I][SIZE=3]Ok, I am a 48 year female, I have neuropathy for nine months now. I tried nuerotin first with a smaller dose(around a 100mgs or less) three times a day, and my doctor increased the dosage up to 300 mgs @ three times a day. Along with the neurotin, I was taking celebrex(200mg) @ 2 times a day for the arthritis in my back and ankle, and 500 mgs of hydrocodone for pain. When the doctor increased my dosage of nuerotin, that's when the problems began. Both of my feet and ankles swelled so bad, that I couldnt even put my shoes on, and it didnt help the neuropathy any at all either. After a couple of weeks off of neurotin, the swelling is completely gone. I dont know if it was the neurotin alone or a bad interaction with the other medications that I'd been taking. Linda, you said that you had side effects from neurotin, just wondering if yours was similar to mine.
    Shirley_I_Am
    I had swelling also. I gained 13 lbs in 3 days while taking this drug...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-11-2004, 08:44 AM   #80
    ronnald_b
    Inactive

ronnald_b HB User

Has anyone tried Pregabalin (Lyrica)? It's new.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:48 AM   #81
    gustone
    (male)

gustone HB User

still taking the neurontin at 1400mg day. Feel great with the nerve regeneration. Am still able to function all day. Wish there was something I could take for the back pain.

Old 10-26-2004, 07:42 PM   #82
    rjesker

rjesker HB User

I started taking neurotin about 4 weeks ago. I started with 300mg 1x a day for a week, 2x aday the second week 3x a day from week 3 on. I also take percocet. I have been having depression and anxiety problems before taking neurotin that was affecting my memory, concentration and more. The mental stuff was causing me problems before neurotin. I have been suffering with severe pain for over nine months now. I have possibly a spinal cord injury, stenosis, or pinched nerves. I see a neurosurgeon next week. Neurotin has reduced the "intercostal" rib pain and leg and foot pains that I have been expieriencing. It doesn't take it away, but it does reduce it. I still have horrible pains in my mid and lower back. The "intercostal" pain still flares up badly on occasion, but it is not as constant as before I started taking neurotin. I believe that the concentration, memory problems are due to the depression and anxiety issues.

This is my opinion. Good luck to you all. Neuropathy is a horible thing to have to deal with.

Old 10-30-2004, 02:37 PM   #83
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

In my opinion we must all stay very aware of what drugs we take, why we take them and any new releases concerning them.

We just have to admit that if we are taking a drug to mask pain it also is tricking our minds to not recognize the pain signal. We must be very careful of such meds.

I'm still on my nice low dose of Neurontin and it's still acceptable to me. After all the only pain masking drug choices out there are all the mind tricking kind and are bad for someone.

Thank goodness for the internet and Boards like this, where we can exchange info and gain so unbiased much personal experience knowledge for others. We all benefit greatly from this exchange of experiences.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:15 PM   #84
    riceneuroni
    Veteran

riceneuroni HB User

The biggest problem is when drugs are not tested for long-term use and it is used that way. I now believe my memory problems will not go away. It has been a full year since I stopped Neurontin. I had been on it about 18 months. I had the commone "brain fog" symptoms and they seemed to clear up when I stopped taking it. About a month later though I developed anxiety. It is absolutely from the Neurontin in my opinion. It won't go away, and my memory has not recovered. I think Neurontin did a lot for taking the edge off my neuropathy even at 600 mg/night, and I was greatful for it. Now I say I wish there was something safer. I think this drug is not good for long-term use.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:25 AM   #85
    queenpooch
    (female)

queenpooch HB User

Hello all.

Greetings from sunny South Carolina.

I am always amazed at the information and support I find on these boards. What did we do before the Internet??

I want to wean myself from Neurontin and found this thread. Thank you, THANK YOU to everyone who shared so much knowledge and experience. (And all that typing!) Just when I think I'm the only one experiencing something, I find a kindred spirit on these health boards. From reading all these posts today, I have learned the following:

1) Neurontin results, reactions and side effects can be as different as day and night between people, but there are several of you who share "my story."
    2) Neurontin has helped the majority of posters - even changing lives or at least making life bearable for some.
    3) Neurontin is taken by the majority of posters for something other than epilepsy - mostly pain.
    4) Neurontin use is controversial, and doctors sure do like to prescribe it.
    5) Nurses should be paid as much, if not more than, doctors. (Ok, I didn't learn that here)
    6) The reason I have horrible, vivid nightmares sometimes is because I have mixed ibuprofen with Neurontin.

This is the abridged version of My Story:

1) I have had problems with depression, social anxiety and ADD since I was a child. (But back then it was called "sleepy" "weird" and "lazy" Hey, weren't those 3 of the Seven Dwarfs?) At the age of 40, I was finally diagnosed and have since tried every drug to come down the pike. Everything made me tired and spacey and affected my cognitive abilities. (I'm a writer, so this was not good!) Everything except Wellbutrin caused MAJOR weight gain, but the WB made me feel horrible - even after the 8 week adjustment period. One popular anti-depressant (Prozac - can I say that here?) gave me TMJ. (who knew!) and lowered my IQ by about 10 points. I'd rather be depressed!
    2) A diving board accident at age 17 left me with sciatica pain that has affected my life dramatically. Delivering two 10 lb. baby boys in my 20s did not help. (But what a joy they have been to me!) Around 40 (I'm now 46) I developed very painful arthritis in my lower back and a pinched nerve. I think I have taken enough aspirin and ibuprofen to fill an aircraft carrier. Vioxx helped, but I only took it a few times - it made me very nauseated - thank goodness in light of the new findings!
    3) I was prescribed Neurontin 2 yrs ago for the back pain and TMJ (from grinding my teeth at night due to taking - are you ready for this?? - PROZAC! I just learned this 5 months ago.) Neurontin was the first medication to "take the edge off" my back pain, and it did help alleviate the horrible headaches from the teeth grinding (bruxism.) My doc also prescribed Neur. for "mood stabilization". I started with 300 mg. before bed, and gradually titrated up to 1200 mg total a day - 300 in AM and afternoon, and 600 mg before bed. Since then, I have gradually reduced the dosage to a total of 600 mgs a day - and that's before bed.
    4) I have recently weaned myself off Prozac after a 3 yr stint. (It took 3 months for the Prozac to leave my system, during which time I experienced major anxiety. I had no idea until reading it elsewhere on Health Boards that it stays in your system that long!) I'm still waiting for my IQ to get back to normal. I still grind my teeth, but finally got a special guard from my dentist (to the tune of $400.) Hopefully I will completely stop the teeth grinding one day, although the lady in the health food store told me the cause of teeth grinding was secretly wanted revenge on someone.
    3) Even on 600 mgs a day, the Neurontin makes me sleep like a rock. A big fat rock. In the last 2 years, I have gained 44 lbs and I can hardly compose a paragraph or carry on an intelligent conversation. (My doc blames this on the recent Prozac withdrawal.) Anyway, I am a zombie all day.
    Huh? Oh sorry, I dozed off.
    4) I am now Rx-free except for the Neur. I also want to quit taking ibuprofen before my stomach turns into a bloody pulp.
    5) For the depression, social anxiety and ADD, I'm just going to have to "deal" - as my teenage son says. Frankly, now that I'm off of all those anti-depressants, it's preferable to just "be me." Sure, I'm blue and down sometimes, but I embrace the mood and go for a walk on the beach or play with my dog. If I feel that old social anxiety creeping in, I just accept it as part of being me also, and wear more anti-perspirant.
    6) I have returned to a diet of healthy foods, herbs and vitamins, rather than self-medicating with chocolate, Doritos and wine. This has been hard to do!
    7) For my back pain, I invested in an inversion table 3 months ago. It has been a God-send!! I hang upside down like a vampire (is that why they live so long?) for just a few minutes a day, and I am walking tall and steppin' large! It's nothing short of a miracle.

So here's my question for those who are in-the-know: With my Neurontin history, duration and dosage; what would be the recommended "weaning" plan? I've read that weaning is difficult, but how? Anxiety? Insomnia? As long as I'm prepared, I feel I can handle anything.

Thank you for reading this LONG post.

With healing blessings to all of you,
    Maggie

Old 01-21-2005, 01:19 PM   #86
    delrae4753
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

delrae4753 HB User

you are on the 600 mg a day at bedtime , ok for me im suppose to be on 900 mg a day i do take 1 in the am if i dont have plans where i have to be alert that gets me thru the day then i might take one at night before bed sometimes i for get to take it so i can say half the time i usually just take 1 a day in the am unless i forget to take it then when i remember i just take it at night it helps me sleep i just decided one day to cut out the other doses because i was sleeping too much i had to be alert i would try titrating like take a 300 mg dose just at bed and see how that works. anther reason i titrated myself off this drug is that it makes me shake, like soameone with bad nerves and before i started taking this 2 years ago i never had this problem i get so tired of being like a zombie . good luck

Old 01-22-2005, 01:38 PM   #87
    CittyCat
    Inactive
    (female)

CittyCat HB User
    Exclamation Re: Neurontin

I've been on Neurontin since 2000 for neuropathy. I know it helps when I've forgotten to take my afternoon pill. The pain is intolerable. I am also on antidepresents. I don't know if I could be brave enough to tuff it out without them.

Cathy

Old 01-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #88
    delrae4753
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

delrae4753 HB User

talk to your dr about weaning off them ,aybe there is something else that can be used.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #89
    CittyCat
    Inactive
    (female)

CittyCat HB User

I am taking 1200 mg daily, 400 mg x 3 daily. I'm 54 yrs old and to be honest, I don't want to be in pain 24/7. My legs hurts so much sometimes can barely tolorate the pain (trying not to sound to dramatic). The dosage I'm on just keeps the pain isolated in one area of the leg.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:47 PM   #90
    delrae4753
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

delrae4753 HB User

you know i can understand all that im 51 and today has been horrid im having terrible pain in my rt heel and the pain is going all the way up my leg had to take 3 pills today warm weather come on

Closed Thread