It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• can polyps only be seen by a colonoscopy ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2003, 05:52 PM   #1
    thisisme

thisisme HB User
    Post can polyps only be seen by a colonoscopy ?

i went to the doctor today & he said he found a couple of internal hemorrhoids. he didn't do a colonoscopy so i was wondering, would he have seen polyps without doing one ? i told him about having flat stools & blood & he said internal hemorrhoids can cause that too. i still feel a little unsure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2003, 05:57 PM   #2
    rsi_pres

rsi_pres HB User
    yes... only with a colonoscopy (at least to the best of my knowledge)will find polyps. Other tests such as CT and PET scans can only find masses or polyps of 1cm or greater.

Old 06-27-2003, 10:33 PM   #3
    thisisme

thisisme HB User
    so if there were a polyp big enough to create flat stools would the other tests see it? ...since the doctor said he saw internal hemorrhoids.
    how likely is it that a hemorrhoid would cause flat stools?
    would the doctor have seen anything, ( using those tests )that would be causing these symptoms?

Old 06-28-2003, 07:16 AM   #4
    rsi_pres

rsi_pres HB User
    Yes, hemorrhoids may cause flat stool. But, in order to find polyps one must do a colonoscopy. A colonoscopy covers your entire colon from beginning to end. It's very possible that the hemorrhoids are causing your symptoms. However, to be ABSOLUTELY sure if that is the real cause, you must have a colonoscopy. Four years ago (to this week) I was dianossed with stage 3 cancer, y first GI doctor insist that it was irritable bowel. He even called me (while I was in the hospital, admitted by a different doctor because nothing would pass the colon, my belly was dangereously extended, and I was throwing up everything... plus the second doctor tried to prep me for a colonascopy, but the prep would not pass the blockage) and even after a CT scan, my first GI doc still insisted it was only irritable bowel. He said, "in fact, I looked at your scan and you have nothing to worry about". Five days later surgeons had to perform surgery due to a complete obstruction of my bowel, that's when they found the cancer.

I believe in getting a colonoscopy to take all the guess work out from a doctor that either thinks they know it all, or are concern that insurance won't pay for a colonoscopy.

I'm now four years from my first fight of cancer (to this week) and now at the age of 40, in two days I'm going into a "hairy operation" to continue my fight due to a recurence (the recurrence is located in the pelvic region).

It's your life, make sure that you do the right thing for yourself, don't base it on some doctor.

Again, just my opinion!

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by rsi_pres (edited 06-28-2003).]

[This message has been edited by rsi_pres (edited 06-28-2003).]

Old 06-28-2003, 01:19 PM   #5
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

I agree with rsi... Blood in the stools , even if there is evidence of hemorrhoids, demands further investigation with a colonoscopy.

Insist on one.

Having hemorrhoids doesn't preclude also having polyps further up which can't be seen by the doc in the office.

Your doctor is being appallingly negligent, particularly if you are over 35.

Was this your GP or a gastroenterologist?

I had the same symptoms as you...was told , upon manual inspection that there were some internal hemorrhoids, BUT the doctor said that he wanted me to have a colonoscopy to be absolutely on the safe side.

I did.

And everything was perfectly normal....Just hemorrhoids.

But don't fool around with this, get the test done and over with, so you'll have peace of mind.

zuzu xxx

Old 07-10-2003, 05:58 AM   #6
    dostoyevsky

dostoyevsky HB User
    The colonoscopy is the current standard in colon cancer detection because it views the entire lower intestine and allows the human eye to inspect it. The accuracy of the test is highly dependent upon the resolution of the camera and the sight of the person doing the test. The resolution of the camera is usually very high which is why the test is very expensive. Sometimes if the polyps are very small the doctor will miss it, but it unlikely he would miss a polyp large enough to cause flat stools.

Closed Thread