It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Traveling with Forteo

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Traveling with Forteo

Has anyone been successful in traveling with their Forteo pen? I have to travel for work sometimes and need to take my medicine with me. The first time I put it in an ice chest and the pen got below freezing. The next time I used the cold packs provided by the company but the pen didn't stay cold enough for 2-3 hours like it said in the instructions. It's frustrating and I can't keep skipping my medicine every time I have to travel.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 12:32 AM   #2
    Oldbones
    (female)

Oldbones HB User
    Arrow Re: Traveling with Forteo

taape.....
    I freeze the cold packs just until they are "slushy" and pliable enough to fit in the compartments of the cosmetic type travel bag provided in the start-up kit. I have found that this keeps the pen cold for 3 to 4 hours. I'm surprised that the pen got too cold in an ice chest because mine arrives from my mail-order pharmacy in an ice chest with frozen ice packs. Have you tried placing the pen inside the travel bag (no cold packs) and then putting the bag in the ice chest with ice or frozen cold packs? The insulation in the bag would probably keep it from getting too cold.

I know how much of a hassle it is to travel with the pen, especially for long distances. So far, I've only missed two doses in the 10 months I've been taking Forteo. Both times, I waited later than usual to give the shot and fell asleep.....completely forgot about it.

I'm sure someone else will have more suggestions.

Oldbones

Old 01-31-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
    Jone
    (female)

Jone HB User
    Re: Traveling with Forteo

I use the same suggestion above- keep pen in case with ice packs so it won't freeze. When I get to a hotel, I put ice in the ice bucket and put my case and pen in a plastic bag and put in down in the ice. It keeps fine that way. For a long plane trip, I would put it with ice packs in the container in which it was shipped. It is in there for a day or so and seems to arrive in good shape. Also, I try to time my pen so that I will finish it on my trip so I don't have to worry about taking it back home.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the suggestions. I know the cold packs say not to freeze them but how can a 40 degree cold pack stay cool enough for 3 or 4 hours. So I'll try that. Do you all use thermometers inside the travel bag to make sure it's between the correct range? I'll get a refrigerator provided at the hotels.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:55 PM   #5
    Oldbones
    (female)

Oldbones HB User
    Arrow Re: Traveling with Forteo

Hi taape.....
    I have to say that I didn't use a thermometer to make sure my Forteo pen was in the correct range but I knew it definitely wasn't freezing and it was cold. Seems like I've felt the temperature of the pen so many times when it comes right out of the refrigerator that I can tell if it feels right. I know that's not the proper way and I should probably put a thermometer in the forteo travel bag to be on the safe side.

You are right about the cold packs. There's NO way a 40 degree cold pack will stay cool for any length of time. I save up all the gel packs that my mail order Forteo is packed in when delivered. I've built up quite a stock of them. I keep these frozen all the time and keep the styrofoam box also. If I have to leave in a hurry, I just throw some frozen gel packs in the styrofoam container, put the pen in the travel bag and I'm on my way. Like I said before, I also put the partially frozen packets in the zipper compartment of the travel bag too. The travel bag w/ice pack works fine for short distances. For longer distances, I use the styrofoam container.

~Oldbones

Old 02-02-2005, 02:39 AM   #6
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Old Bones,
    Thanks for the information.I go to the pharmacy to pick up my pens since it's only 5 minutes away and put it in an ice chest.I wonder if the medication is as sensitive to the exact temperature range as the information insert says anyways. But I've been using a thermometer that's how I knew the temperature dropped to 30 degrees inside my cooler that time. Does your pharmacy or the Ily Lilly company ship your Forteo to you? Did you know if you have any problems with the pens you can ship them back (unrefrigerated) and the company will inspect the pen for defects and issue you a new pen free.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #7
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

"I freeze the cold packs just until they are "slushy" and pliable enough to fit in the compartments of the cosmetic type travel bag provided in the start-up kit. I have found that this keeps the pen cold for 3 to 4 hours."

Hi, I am brand new to Forteo -- just started this week -- and grateful to find information on living with this medication. I have to travel for a few hours in a few weeks and called Forteo's customer assistance number. They said to put the cosmetic case the pen came in (I just assumed with the gel packs inserted but maybe this is wrong) into an insulated chest or lunch bag. The rep said to fill ziploc baggies with ice cubes. If the cubes start to melt, dump the water and refill with fresh ice. She said this would work even on a long plane trip.

I hadn't considered that maybe the pen would get too cold. I've kept it refrigerated but didn't measure the temperature in my refrigerator. I guess I should do that too.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #8
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I would buy a thermometer--I use one all the time and put it in the refrigerator by the pen. I leave it in the box also so I don't drop something on it and break the glass. Yes you put the pen in the travel case with the gel packs. I tried to put a small thermometer in there but it didn't work very good. It's assumed by the printed information that that's all you need to do is use the travel bag but I think the customer serviced person is correct that then the whole thing needs to be put into an ice chest with ice. I guess it depends on your outside temperature and how long you'll not have a refrigerator. I use small gel packs that are frozen because it's much less messy than icd and you can refreeze them when you get to your destination.I wouldn't have the ice or frozen gel pack touching the pen or it might freeze.
    I have to travel next week but it's by car so I can take a small ice chest. I wonder if the airlines would let you put your pen in their referigerators after they serveed the food and have room. I'm going to ask when I fly next time.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Getting a thermometer to put in the fridge sounds like a good idea. I fly very infrequently. Is the needle in the pen something that requires it to be in checked baggage only. It would be impossible to replenish the cold packs in that case. Just curious.

Old 03-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #10
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I would put the needles in checked baggage so you don't have to answer to security - it's embarassing and a hassle. When the cold packs aren't cold anymore I was thinking about asking the airlines for some ice to use if they won't let me use their refirgerator. I'm going to call ahead of time and ask.I don't fly very often either but where I'm going on vacation I am looking into having my prescription filled there and then just throwing the pen away when I come home so all I need to bring are the needles. It's kind of expensive unless your staying at least a couple of weeks.

Old 06-19-2005, 07:32 PM   #11
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by taape
    Thanks for the suggestions. I know the cold packs say not to freeze them but how can a 40 degree cold pack stay cool enough for 3 or 4 hours. So I'll try that. Do you all use thermometers inside the travel bag to make sure it's between the correct range? I'll get a refrigerator provided at the hotels.
    I just had to be away for a few days. I put the travel pack with the cold packs into my insulated bag along with some frozen packs and everything stayed quite cold for the seven hours or so that I was traveling. I told the hotel I needed to keep a medicine refrigerated and they put a small dorm-type refrigerator in the room. That was great. I wasn't sure what I would do if they didn't have the refrigerator. Anyway, I didn't have to miss any doses, so I was pleased.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #12
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Spinewhine,
    That great you traveled with the Forteo ok. I finally figured out a system also for longer travel than the package says on the travel kit. In the future I'm going to take the Forteo using the styrofoam ice chest, cold packs, and packaging that was sent to me from the pharmacy. It's kind of large but as long as I don't have to carry it on public transportation I'm ok. The pen has to be put back into the box it came in rather than in the travel kit.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:20 PM   #13
    newbones
    (female)

newbones HB User

I just returned from a trip involving travel by plane. It was about twelve hours from the time I left my house until I got to my destination due to changing planes. I put the Forteo pen in the travel pack that came in the startup kit with the two refrigerated gel packs. I then put that in an insulated lunch bag with ice packs on each side of the travel pack. It stayed cold until I got to my destination. I carried it in my carryon luggage. I also included a few needles and alcohol wipes in case my luggage was delayed or lost. I had no trouble getting through security with the needles. I have not used a thermometer, although I suppose it is a good idea. I felt comfortable that the Forteo was cold enough and it did not freeze. I will be taking a lengthy road trip in August which will present a new challenge.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:12 PM   #14
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

I had a thought about our discussions of traveling with Forteo. We had previously discussed on another thread that there is always some Forteo left in the pen after 28 doses. I told everyone that my doctor said the medicine is good, it's just that the clinical trials in Germany limited the pen to 28 days and if the pen was going to be approved for use there, that was the limit. That limit was set up everywhere.

Anyway, instead of disposing of my pens after 28 days, I'm going to save them in the refrigerator, on the assumption that each one has at least one full dose left in it (and if its expiration date is still not passed). Then, if I only have to be away one night, I can take one of these pens with me in the cooler bag with the cool packs -- which seems to be good for keeping the pen cold for ten or twelve hours -- take the drug and then not worry about getting it home or needing a refrigerator to keep it cold for the return trip.

It won't solve any problems for longer trips, but it might just make those occasional overnighters easier.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:50 PM   #15
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Spinewhine,
    That's an interesting idea about saving the almost empty pen. I'm going to try once again to get clarification about how long the medication is good for. I was told that unopened it was good to use up until the expiration date but once opened it would no longer be effective after the 28 days or so. I think the medication has some type of perservative in it that only lasts so long. It may be like a quart of milk which is good up until the expiration date but once opened it is only good for about a week. I wish they did have a weekly pen though as it would make things much simplier when traveling.

Closed Thread