It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Medroxyprogesterone 10mg(Provera)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #1
    dani_78_78

dani_78_78 HB User
    Medroxyprogesterone 10mg(Provera)

Hi everyone. I have been away for a while. I took a break from all of this now I'm back. Here is what has been going on.

As some of you might know I don't have regular periods. I get spotting every month or usually every other month. My RE said that my hormone levels are a little off. I haven't had a period(spotting) since November 9th and I'm not pregnant. My doctor wants to start me on Medroxyprogesterone 10 mg(Provera) one pill a day for 5 days. Then I should start in 2 weeks. On the 5th day I'm going to start clomid. Has anyone else ever taken Medroxyprogesterone? My big question is and I haven't had a chance to ask my doctor yet. Why do I have to take clomid if this provera is supposed to make my hormone level right so I can have a period? Does provera make you ovulate? Or is in the clomid that makes me ovulate? I'm a little confused. I would appreciate all the help I can get.
    Thank you,
    Dani

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 04:33 AM   #2
    mjw1
    (female)

mjw1 HB User
    Re: Medroxyprogesterone 10mg(Provera)

I'm not one hundred percent sure what the provera does, but I can tell you what friends have told me. There are two reasons to take progesterone. One to induce a period and the second to help with the luteal phase. I take Prometrium, which is progesterone to stop early spotting in my luteal phase. I am also on Clomid because we are going through iuis. I asked my doctor why I had to take Clomid if I was already ovulating. She said that it just helps the patient have an ideal cycle. It eliminates potential problems. I am pretty sure it is supposed to stimulate follicle growth as well. I don't really know if this answers your questions or not. Maybe there are others with more info!

Old 02-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
    desperate4baby
    (female)

desperate4baby HB User

Hello,

I am going through a similar situation. My doc prescribed progesterone to me because I have very infrequent periods. (Once every 3 months or so.) I am taking one Progesterone 10 mg each day for 5 days. When I start my period I am suppose to notify the doctor and she will set up some lab work for 3 weeks from that date. If everything comes out normal in the lab work then I will start Clomid on days 5-9 of my cycle. It is my understanding that I am taking the progesterone in order to have a normal period that will "clean out" my uterus and start regulating my hormones. It's like a "jump-start" to get my cycle back on track and ready for me to start taking the Clomid, which will make me ovulate and hopefully help me get pg. My husband and I have been trying for over 3 years. This is the first time we have tried any fertility drugs and I am VERY excited but trying not to get my hopes too high--just staying positive-you know. Hope this info helps you out. Please let me know if your doc has ordered lab work also--just wondering if this is the norm.
    Thanks,
    desperate4baby

Old 02-24-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
    marie81
    (female)

marie81 HB User
    Talking Re: Medroxyprogesterone 10mg(Provera)

I am also taking provera right now. It's used to bring on AF or for uterine bleeding. Provera doen't make you o though. That's what the clomid is for. I will be taking clomid this month too. I have been taking it off and on for 1 year. I have o'd on clomid everytime (once they got the dose right). I hope this helps. Good luck!!!!

Old 02-26-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

yes, as marie said, provera does not make you ovulate. it just induces your af. i finished taking a course of provera a couple weeks ago and had af 4 days after the last pill. clomid, on the other hand, is used to induce ovulation. i have not taken any clomid yet. my doctor is hoping that the provera will jump start me cylces and make them regular once more. i've been off the bcp since november first and have not seen a regular af yet (not counting the one right after i stopped provera). hopefully i'll see one in march. otherwise the next step for me might be more testing and clomid.
    best of luck.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
    dani_78_78

dani_78_78 HB User

Thank you all for relying. It really helped me understand why I needed to take those pills first. I'm on clomid now and I hope it will work soon. I'm sick of taking my temp. and taking all these pills. I'm the type of person who won't even take a pill for a headache.

One of you said you don't have periods for three months sometimes. Me too. It sound like our cycles are alot alike. Sometimes it is every other month. I was on the pill for almost 10 years so I didn't know until a year ago what it was going to be like. Before I was on the pill I didn't have regular periods either.

Good luck to all of you.
    Dani

Old 03-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
    dani_78_78

dani_78_78 HB User

Thank you for your replies. It's nice to have people to talk to that are going through the same as I am. Good luck to all of you.
    Dani

Closed Thread