It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Sugar-acne is true?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2005, 08:46 AM   #16
    yelps
    (male)

yelps HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

Lets see, pizza, coke, chocolate, you forgot fried foods. Anyway refined sugar in the diet cause the inflammatory response and worse acne, in some people. Refined sugar does not cause acne in anyone. Refined sugar in the diet cannot clog an oil gland, only skin cells can do that.
    Emotions come from having ugly acne. The acne itself is genetic, probably from a complex malfunction.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #17
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yelps
    Lets see, pizza, coke, chocolate, you forgot fried foods. Anyway refined sugar in the diet cause the inflammatory response and worse acne, in some people. Refined sugar does not cause acne in anyone. Refined sugar in the diet cannot clog an oil gland, only skin cells can do that.
    Emotions come from having ugly acne. The acne itself is genetic, probably from a complex malfunction.

Ahh, but you forgot that refined sugar/ simple carbohydrates affect our insulin levels and insulin affects the amount of Hormones & Inflammatory Products that lead to acne. Of course you being a poster of all but 18 posts surely knows "everything", and are free to think whatever you like. I know differently, others on here know differently, and if you look my name up as well as others on this board, you will see how many times we have gone in circles, posting scientific clinically controlled studies and explanations ad naseum as to HOW this could possibly be.

It's your life...you are free to do as you please

Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-22-2005 at 06:40 PM.

Old 02-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #18
    Zenfish
    (male)

Zenfish HB User

Of course acne is a genetic trait. My father's acne is genetic, mine is geneitc, my daughter's is genetic. At ages 18 to 80 when any one of us eats properly, the acne goes away. When we eat simple-carbs, fast-food, soda and candy, we get outbreaks. Screaming about what is the cause - genetics - and what is the major trigger - diet - is time and energy foolishly spent.

Since my genes also cause me to be allergic to cats, is it a good idea that I sleep with 14 cats in my bed? Afterall, by American medical logic I can say, "I'm so happy the cats don't cause my asthma, rash and sinus problems. The cause is my genes, so there's really nothing I can do about it... except buy more medicine and potions. And more cats."

Last edited by Zenfish; 02-22-2005 at 03:32 PM.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:29 PM   #19
    yelps
    (male)

yelps HB User

Anyway some people get acne from eating tomatoes cooked or raw. Thats a complex carb. I guess it raised insulin. Fried chicken or fish is complex yes? Both those cause acne too. Ever think the problem may be with a persons body producing too much insulin to begin with. Thats too simple.

Last edited by yelps; 02-22-2005 at 06:41 PM. Reason: requie proof

Old 02-22-2005, 07:39 PM   #20
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

veggie girl HB User

All I know is that for the past 2 months I haven't had one pimple when my diet consisted of;

Breakfast:
    oatmeal, or scrambled eggs or veggie fritatta, or seaweed and tofu or fruit or vegetable juice

Lunch/dinner:
    Tofu, or black bean pancakes, or veggies with tofu and quinoa, or bean soup, or grilled veggies with barley, or juliene veggies with brown rice.

Snacks: berries, raw nuts, raw desserts (made with nuts, carrots, carob, dates)

Also: Milk thistle, accodopholus, green tea, alpha lipoic acid, flax seed oil, digestive enzymes.

And, when I went away for about a week and ate the following things - my skin now looks terrible (i have at LEAST 20 pimples - not to forget a few white heads and a few cysts)

Breakfast:
    Scrambled egg (cooked with I don't know what - probably butter) with toast and jelly, honey nut loops, 2 cups coffee (with cream and sugar)

Lunch/dinner:
    All eating out: Sandwich, or buritto, or burger, or corn cakes, or pasta, or soup. With at least one coctail - margurita or mojito

Snacks:
    Fruit (grapes), chex crackers, cheese and crackers, chocolate, chips, peanut m&ms!! (there was NOTHING else!!)

Also, I have to add that I don't know the meaning of 'moderation.' I am one of those people who does NOT know when to stop eating. I'm like that girl off Charlie and the chocolate factory who keeps eating and eating until shes bursts!! Thats me!! Just thought I'd add that.

Last edited by veggie girl; 02-22-2005 at 07:43 PM.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:51 PM   #21
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zenfish
    My friend above says, if someone proves that diet causes acne, "they'll make a fortune." On the contrary, if someone proves that diet causes acne, particularly if that someone is in the medical industry, they'll lose a fortune.
    You're right. Theres really no incentive for ANY entity to research the affects of food on acne coz if it IS proven that it exacerbates it, how would they recoup their research expensives??

Drug companies don't find cures out of philanthropy - they do it coz if they can get a monopoly and patent the drug, they'll make BILLIONS!!

And luckily for them, most of us would rather take a pill and have things go away than build our own body up to fight the offender itself.

Old 02-23-2005, 04:06 AM   #22
    yelps
    (male)

yelps HB User

I said if "somebody" not some "drug company" proves sugar worsens acne they will make a fortune. The book and movie sales alone would be worth millions. Of course no one can show this its only "what they believe" from their own food experimentation. Just as 50 years ago people "believed" acne was caused by dirt clogging the pores.

Last edited by yelps; 02-23-2005 at 04:14 AM. Reason: added

Old 02-23-2005, 07:12 AM   #23
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Hmm...kinda reminds me of Openseason.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:40 AM   #24
    yelps
    (male)

yelps HB User

There is no point in goging round and round. Until the proof is shown its all a matter of belief. People belive Proactive works, egg whites work, vitamine B works etc etc etc

Old 02-24-2005, 03:26 AM   #25
    Zenfish
    (male)

Zenfish HB User

That's the beauty of thinking on your own. You strive, you think, you use your discipline, and you find what works for you. No doctor has that level of involvement with you, so don't expect anything but a pile of pills from them. You find what really works for you, and often it's simply a major change in diet.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:33 AM   #26
    yelps
    (male)

yelps HB User

The reason I am skeptical is that there are many skin diseases and conditions. I cant think of any that are caused by diet. Can you?

Old 02-24-2005, 06:27 AM   #27
    Zenfish
    (male)

Zenfish HB User

Quote:
    The reason I am skeptical is that there are many skin diseases and conditions. I cant think of any that are caused by diet. Can you?
    Check out this website: [url]http://www.csaceliacs.org/dh_defined.php[/url]
    and others like it.

Celiac Disease and the related Dermatitis Herpetiformis of the skin are food-caused diseases, most common in the genes of the white population -- approx. 1 ot of 133 Americans have this wheat intolerance. The only side-affect-free cure is complete avoidance of wheat-gluten foods.

Now, back to acne. A really bad American diet can cause its own stress by creating wild fluctations in your hormones and insulin. Sort of like going back to puberty. Now couple your messed up hormones with external stress from jobs, exams, public speaking, or nagging questions from those around you, and your acne can really break out.

Last edited by Zenfish; 02-24-2005 at 06:35 AM.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:32 AM   #28
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    OMG, there are plenty of skin diseases that are caused by our environment such as allegens, parasites, fungus, bacteria, toxins, nutrient defficiencies, nutrient excess, and other dietary factors.

In fact, Insulin Resistance, which is what also contribtutes to the temporary Hyperandrogenism that occurs during puberty, and thus can have acne as a ONE of it's symptoms (breast cancer, rheumatoid arthitis, obeisty, androgenic alopeicia, seborrhea, hirsutism are others of hyperandrogenism) happens to have it's skin disorder known as Acanthosis Nigricans. A hyperpigmentation disorder involving the folds (knees, knuckles, elbow, neck, etc) of the skin & thought to be caused by too much insulin in the skin! This hyperpigmentation disorder is the ONLY official physcial symptom of Insulin Resistance, as Insulin Resistance is a asymptomatic (no signs) disorder that occurs as early as childhood these days, and can continue for many many many years before slooooowly developing into some other Health Problem or Hormonal Disorder.

Of course, there are certain skin disorders that are a result of genes but these tend to be based on skin pigmentation issues, although sometimes it can be due to a deficiency of some nutrient. Yet others involving the qualtiy, clarity, texture of our skin, hair and nails, usually has an environmental cause.

Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-24-2005 at 08:39 AM.

Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 PM   #29
    yelps
    (male)

yelps HB User

Atoxic environment would not be diet. I can think of hives, which show up soon after you eat a allergic food. Most all skin problems are fungus, bacteria or contact dermatitis. No one is getting those by diet,

Old 02-24-2005, 11:34 PM   #30
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Atoxic environment would not be diet. I can think of hives, which show up soon after you eat a allergic food. Most all skin problems are fungus, bacteria or contact dermatitis. No one is getting those by diet,

If you are eating or drinking something that comes from a toxic environment (i.e. chloracne?) than it is indirectly your diet, due to the toxin you consumed.

Skin disorders have long since been associated with ones "health". There's a variety of skin disorders that are due to hormonal disorders, health problems, allergies, intolerances, etc. Acne happens to be one that is believed to be caused by yeast, p.acnes, and hormones. We can go all day discussing that but the bottom line with all of those is that you can control the amount of hormones produced and the amount of microorganisms by your diet. Since yeast and bacteria require sugar (and fat?) to thrive, then reducing the amount of sugar should reduce their ability to futher grow and thus irritate your skin (this is the simplest of the explanations regarding this aspect).

Of course when it comes to hormones, it's a no brainer that our diet affects our ability to produce hormones. Granted genes play a role, but our diet has the ability to increase our decrease our susceptibility to developing certain diseases and by influencing the phenotypic (physical) traits of our genes. Thus you can eat crapy and grow hair but that hair won't be as strong, vibrant, & shiny compared to if you were to eat "healthier". Same thing with your skin, even a model's skin won't look so hot (glowy, young, etc) if she's always smoking and doing crack.

Our environment influences our genes in more ways than some wish to give it credit for. Our environment has the ability to turn on or off genes and our skin is a good indicator as to what's going on inside of us. So of course it makes sense that during puberty, when our bodies our going through this temporary hormonal imbalance, that some of us will get acne, others will gain weight and some are lucky enough to enjoy both. It's those gene-enviroment interactions that decide just what we will end up with based on consuming the same types of foods (acne, obesitity, diabetes, cancer, etc) or living in the same type of environment. There's no need to ponder it any further as they do not konw the specifics yet as to why, specifically regarding acne, but it just is.

I suggest that instead of coming up with what you think are logical reasons, that you open your mind up & investigate this more, doing research along the lines of the antiandrogenic, anti-proliferative, and anti-inflammatory aspects (all contributors of acne) of following specific diets. If you honestly took the time and did the research, you would see how this is above and beyond possible for so many of us. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but more often then not, this is the answer for those long term sufferers (5, 10, 20, or more years of acne). Some people won't know they are long term sufferer, until it's too late (acne's worse, health problems, etc)....that's the unfortunate part of it =(

You really do remind me of someone on this board that I think kinda sorta figured it out some (lol) and I just don't have time for anyone that comes on an acne board, looking for help (?), yet thinks they know all the answers, at least pertaining to "diet & acne". If you are honestly interested and are willing to do the research and post the studies (you can if they are .gov sites) then we can debate this further. Otherwise, I wish you the very best.

Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-24-2005 at 11:42 PM.

Closed Thread