It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board

  • Sugar-acne is true?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 02-27-2005, 06:13 PM   #61
    ShadowLink
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 11
    ShadowLink HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    SweetJade1, I'd love to agree with you. However you are ruling out the fact that allergies and intolerances don't cause acne. Those are most closely related to 'hives'. And I assure you, breakouts due to allergies and intolerances are NOT actual acne.

    And VeggieGirl, I wasn't trying to use you specifically for the examples I was pointing out. Just to those whom claim that they eat chocolate and their faces break out in 3-6 hours.

    Also, if you do eat chocolate, and you do believe your face breaks out from it, it's not the fact that it's chocolate, or sugar. In many foreign countries in which our chocolate comes from, there are insects that feed off the plants. These insects lay eggs which are processed into chocolate (they aren't cleaned throughly), thus you have dead insect eggs in your chocolate. It's proven that many people actually have allergies to these insect eggs. U.S inspection actually allows most all of the 'infected' chocolate to be allowed into the U.S because it's not exactly unhealthy to eat these dead eggs. So, it's most likely someone's allergies to the dead eggs rather than what particular food they eat. Notice, how Jade stated "Allergies: minutes - 24 hours". That'd more clearly explain as to why you're face would break out hours after eating chocolate.

    Last edited by ShadowLink; 02-27-2005 at 06:23 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 02-27-2005, 07:16 PM   #62
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 849
    SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShadowLink
    SweetJade1, I'd love to agree with you. However you are ruling out the fact that allergies and intolerances don't cause acne. Those are most closely related to 'hives'. And I assure you, breakouts due to allergies and intolerances are NOT actual acne.

    And VeggieGirl, I wasn't trying to use you specifically for the examples I was pointing out. Just to those whom claim that they eat chocolate and their faces break out in 3-6 hours.

    Also, if you do eat chocolate, and you do believe your face breaks out from it, it's not the fact that it's chocolate, or sugar. In many foreign countries in which our chocolate comes from, there are insects that feed off the plants. These insects lay eggs which are processed into chocolate (they aren't cleaned throughly), thus you have dead insect eggs in your chocolate. It's proven that many people actually have allergies to these insect eggs. U.S inspection actually allows most all of the 'infected' chocolate to be allowed into the U.S because it's not exactly unhealthy to eat these dead eggs. So, it's most likely someone's allergies to the dead eggs rather than what particular food they eat. Notice, how Jade stated "Allergies: minutes - 24 hours". That'd more clearly explain as to why you're face would break out hours after eating chocolate.

    You are correct in that those breakouts may not be officially considered acne, but nor are they automatically hives or rashes. In fact there are a variety of different types of acne and they involve varying descriptions and locations on the body and are sometimes due to different causes. Usually we tend to carry more than one type, depending on the cause, such as:

    ACNE:

    cosmetica,
    detergicans,
    mechanica
    excoriee
    vulgaris,
    cystica,
    pustulosa,
    comedonica,
    rosacea,
    fulminans,
    congloblata,
    infantum,
    inversa,
    venenata
    aestivalis

    etc.

    [sometimes you can tell the cause by the name]

    However if you breakout and it is red "real red" not just "irritated red" then that is probably more likely due to an allergy...but it may still be considered a form of acne. I can tell you that I very rarely develop actual red acne/breakouts and when I have, I've yet to been able to pinpoint it to anything, except this mask I once used (had yarrow extract). When they do develop (usually 1 - 3 spots at a time on the neck or lower arm), they don't respond to traditional acne treatments & sometimes not even hydrocortisone (anti-inflammatory). Therefore, I do not consider those to be acne, but I do consider those to be a form of a "break out".

    Iodine
    B6
    B12
    Mercury
    Pesticides (Cholaracne or Yusho)
    Yeast/Candida
    Steriods

    Certain Herbs (yarrow, dong quai, vitex/chaste tree berry, etc)

    Certain Medications (antibiotics, anti-fungals, glucocoritcoids, lithium, ADHD meds, antipsychotics, etc)

    [some of these are used to HELP us, but used by the wrong person or abused and the opposite can result]


    Are all capable of aggrivating or inducing acne-like lesions, papules, cysts, or acne similar to various types of rosacea. If it looks like "acne" and acts like "acne" , I guess a way to know whether it is or not is whether it responds to traditional acne treatments. Then again, obviously considering the existence of this board, regular acne doesn't always respond to acne treatments, so how does one know the difference?

    Anyway, if you are planning to give the diet a try let us know how it works out. Definately there can be bugs, micoorganisms, or pesticides on the foods we eat that can cause us problems. However please don't neglect the fact that it could also be, for example in "regular" chocolate candy the dairy, trans fats, and sugar in the chocolate candy that is causing the problems for members, such as myself. Personally I avoided chocolate candy and soda for 10 years and never saw a difference until I avoided my biggest culprit, Gluten (wheat, barely, rye, & oats),and I am not Intolerant. The other stuff only affects my acne about 4% - 5% so no wonder I never noticed a difference.

    Best wishes

    Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-27-2005 at 08:25 PM.

     
    Old 02-27-2005, 09:53 PM   #63
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 940
    veggie girl HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SweetJade1
    Personally I avoided chocolate candy and soda for 10 years and never saw a difference until I avoided my biggest culprit, Gluten (wheat, barely, rye, & oats),and I am not Intolerant. The other stuff only affects my acne about 4% - 5% so no wonder I never noticed a difference.

    Best wishes
    How did you find out that it was gluten that was your acne trigger? Did you discover by accident or did you methodically suspend eating foods to isolate others? How long did it take after consuming gluten to realize that that was the culprit?

     
    Old 02-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #64
    ShadowLink
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 11
    ShadowLink HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    Heh, Jade. I'm impressed by your ridiculously well stated comments. :-D

    And yeah, I am going to give the diet thing a try. Also, I'm staying away from milk first, to see if that takes away from the acne occurances. I've seen instances on the boards how some will say that milk does infact help the occurance of acne. Not to menion how milk(foreign, meaning from animals other that humans) is bad for the human body, I'm going to start with that for about 3 weeks, to see any difference. Then I suppose if it doesn't, I'll move to sugars/simple-carbs then breads, etc etc.

    P.S. : It sucks how sensitive and complex the human body is, isn't it?

     
    Old 03-01-2005, 07:13 AM   #65
    Zenfish
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 70
    Zenfish HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    So I'm sitting here in downtown Tokyo and on my forehead is a zit about the size of a marble because I ate chocolates and chocolate-covered-almonds and some sweet drinks during the business meetings the last several days. I got what I expected and deserved, I guess. I quit the snacks and reverted to rice, fruit, vegetables, safe stuff like that and my head should clear up in a few days. If not, I'll let you know.
    If you get to Japan, enjoy the rice and go native in your diet. The people are swell, just be very polite to everyone.
    Cheers,
    tf

     
    Old 03-01-2005, 07:22 AM   #66
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 940
    veggie girl HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zenfish
    So I'm sitting here in downtown Tokyo and on my forehead is a zit about the size of a marble because I ate chocolates and chocolate-covered-almonds and some sweet drinks during the business meetings the last several days. I got what I expected and deserved, I guess. I quit the snacks and reverted to rice, fruit, vegetables, safe stuff like that and my head should clear up in a few days. If not, I'll let you know.
    If you get to Japan, enjoy the rice and go native in your diet. The people are swell, just be very polite to everyone.
    Cheers,
    tf
    Completely off the topic of acne but you must be just LOVING it in Japan. I speak a tiny - repeat tiny - bit of Japanese and plan to go them in the future and maybe live for a year or so. I have friends there too so It'd be nice to see them in their homeland.

     
    Old 03-02-2005, 07:00 AM   #67
    Zenfish
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 70
    Zenfish HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    Japan is good for the skin. If you get to Asia, you'll notice the diet is helpful. Even in Thailand, where the sugar consumption is quite high but the stress level is low, the complexion is good. Hormones and stress, that's the key. Control those two, and you've got it made...

     
    Old 03-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #68
    shannamarie36
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Posts: 438
    shannamarie36 HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    Ok easier said than done. How do you control your hormones?

     
    Old 03-03-2005, 12:57 AM   #69
    Zenfish
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 70
    Zenfish HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    Shanna, A very small change in hormone concentration makes a huge change in how your body functions. You can control the hormone concentration directly through changing what you eat, how much exercise you get, how much sleep you get, and how stressed out you let yourself be. You control those, you control your hormones. Simple, though not always easy.

    Last edited by Zenfish; 03-04-2005 at 03:33 AM.

     
    Old 03-03-2005, 12:59 PM   #70
    indy gal
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 228
    indy gal HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    SweetJade - This is totally off-topic, but you mentioned it earlier and made me curious. What foods can cause hypothyroidism?

    And by the way, I was one of the non-believers that diet affected my acne. But, I was willing to give it a try and discovered that it really does trigger my acne. The healthier I eat, the better my skin is. These boards really helped me with that.

     
    Old 03-05-2005, 02:47 AM   #71
    Zenfish
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 70
    Zenfish HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    OK, I just said "No" to anymore sweets after last week's business meetings, and sure enough, my acne cleared up. We hormone-induced acne sufferers can turn it on and turn it off with diet choice. At least it works for me.

     
    Old 03-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #72
    yelps
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 96
    yelps HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    Now you state that in Thailand sugar consumption is quite high and no acne. So you directly contradict your statement that sugar increases acne. Plese explain but wait till I put my tinfoil helment on.

     
    Old 03-05-2005, 07:25 PM   #73
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 849
    SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShadowLink
    Heh, Jade. I'm impressed by your ridiculously well stated comments. :-D

    And yeah, I am going to give the diet thing a try. Also, I'm staying away from milk first, to see if that takes away from the acne occurances. I've seen instances on the boards how some will say that milk does infact help the occurance of acne. Not to menion how milk(foreign, meaning from animals other that humans) is bad for the human body, I'm going to start with that for about 3 weeks, to see any difference. Then I suppose if it doesn't, I'll move to sugars/simple-carbs then breads, etc etc.

    P.S. : It sucks how sensitive and complex the human body is, isn't it?

    Oh my heavens the human body is so incredibly complex and along with discovering how much more complex it gets when foods interact with it, no wonder we could start World War III on these boards alone over the whole mess!

    Wish you the best of luck ;-)

     
    Old 03-05-2005, 07:37 PM   #74
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 849
    SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indy gal
    SweetJade - This is totally off-topic, but you mentioned it earlier and made me curious. What foods can cause hypothyroidism?

    And by the way, I was one of the non-believers that diet affected my acne. But, I was willing to give it a try and discovered that it really does trigger my acne. The healthier I eat, the better my skin is. These boards really helped me with that.
    LOL, well I don't think it's totally off topic, as these foods have sugars too, but for thoe most part that is not an issue when consuming vegetables so maybe it is a wee bit ;-) Anyway, the foods that Goitrogens, especially when raw, are:

    Brassica Family (anti-cancerous, increase glutathione levels something that acne sufferers may be lacking, high fiber, calcium, etc):

    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Brussel Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Spinach
    Mustard
    Kale
    Collard
    Turnips
    Radishes
    Rutabega
    Horseradish
    Kohlrabi
    Canola Oil (Rapeseed)


    Misc. Legumes
    Soybeans
    Peanuts
    Lima Beans
    Peas

    Misc. Grains:
    Millet
    Corn

    Misc. Nuts:
    Pine Nuts
    Walnuts

    genus Prunus (of Rose Family)
    Almonds
    Peaches
    [Nectarines]
    Apricots
    Cherries
    [Plums]

    Others:
    Strawberries
    Sweet Potato
    Cassava
    Watercress

    As you can see these are some very healthy foods, some of which most of us rarely eat (enough of). So if you don't eat tons of it raw, it's not a problem, but if you do eat tons of these foods you may want to cut back some or cook them more often. This is particularly true of soybean consumption as members have stated that after becoming vegans or increasing their soy content (it can work for or against you) their acne got worse OR it GAVE them acne. Out of all of these foods, soybeans is something that Americans can consume daily and in a variety of ways (as a bean, protein, seasoning, "milk", "cheese" etc), so it makes sense that soybeans could be a big factor for members that chose to go vegan.

    Of course the possiblity with soy is that it's being either overconsumed (compared to consumption in other countries), it's refined soy, or it's genetically modified as to why it may affect some members negatively. As for the other foods, well the ones I eat & have started increasing my intake of are brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, and greens (spinach, turnips, kale, collard & mustard) but I eat brocolli the most, usually steamed, and none of these on a daily basis. Based on former thyroid tests I am high-normal for T4 hormone (converts into T3) so I guess i can afford to add some of these into my diet, especially since I wasn't eating these foods as often before (but I NEED the fiber & nutrients).

    LOL, just added more to the list and I honestly had no idea how many foods could be goitrogens, but again, some people that are hypothyroid don't have problems with ALL of these foods. Sometimes it's only certain foods and if you cook them, this will further decrease or deactivate this ability. Cooking for legumes & nuts & grains may simply mean sprouting, soaking or fermenting them. In fact one source said that soybean consumption should be avoided entirely unless fermented (Leo's Last Acne solution also reccomends this) and members of a rawfood community that are hypothroid have also noted problems with soy. I would suggest that if you wanted to know if it's a problem I would avoid those that fall under being the top allergens first and then work your way through the rest of these. I actually eat corn almost every day, but I do avoid the Genus Prunus, nuts, & peanuts as I get cystic acne from them =( I used to think that it was due to an intolerance to the nuts (from possibly a leaky gut), but since those fruits involved also gave me the acne, then it may be a cross reaction or since they were raw, they may have been affecting my T3 levels....hmm.

    Are you hypothyroid or suspect that you may be?

    Last edited by SweetJade1; 03-05-2005 at 08:28 PM.

     
    Old 03-06-2005, 02:41 AM   #75
    Zenfish
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 70
    Zenfish HB User
    Re: Sugar-acne is true?

    Regarding the last two posts, I have two questions:

    1) Yelps, many readers have done disciplined experiments proving to themselves that reducing simple-carbohydrate consumption elminates their acne, and they are nice enough to share their results with us. Perhaps you could conduct an experiment: Take a photo of yourself today. Now start consuming massive quantities of soft drinks, candy, chocolate, cereal, Starbucks, cake, cookies, pizza, fruit juice and pasta for the next three weeks. After three weeks take an "after" photo of your face. Is there a difference? Readers would like to know.

    2) Sweetjade, if one consumes lots of soymilk, could one possibly trigger more acne?

    thanks,
    zenfish

    Last edited by Zenfish; 03-06-2005 at 02:47 AM.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    45 years of Sugar...Go figure Tojopuppy Open to All Other Health Topics 1 04-01-2011 12:32 PM
    my blood sugar was 6.2 at 8am is now 11.2 why stack67 Diabetes 6 12-20-2009 02:12 PM
    cant control sugar...15 yrs old...i dont want to go blind Zitful Delight Diabetes 17 07-31-2007 08:05 PM
    Low Blood Glucose/Sugar?? neshee Pregnancy 3 06-04-2007 03:08 PM
    Anxiety or Low Blood Sugar HELP!!! bratforlife Anxiety 3 03-26-2007 10:36 PM
    Options for Emergency Low Sugar Situation? thewarrior Diabetes 17 04-16-2006 11:41 AM
    Completely eliminating sugar LS289 Weight Loss 11 08-18-2004 09:41 AM
    Sugar Alcohols LS289 Diet & Nutrition 3 08-09-2004 07:07 AM
    Blood sugar levels? sher56 Diabetes 6 05-26-2004 08:17 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:33 AM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!