It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Is Lasik worth the cost?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
    GMUJenn
    (female)

GMUJenn HB User
    Is Lasik worth the cost?

Hi
    I am 22 and have been considering Lasik eye surgery. I was wondering if I could get feedback as to whether the cost of the surgery and the results are worth the financial cost. Any horror stories or positive stories on how it has affected you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 06:36 AM   #2
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User
    Re: Is Lasik worth the cost?

GMUJenn,
    Wow! What can I say! I got my surgery 1 month and 2 weeks ago and last night, I was crawling into bed when I just glanced into the bathroom at the alarm clock my hubby keeps on his side of the sink in the bathroom. I don't know for sure but, I don't think with my glasses I would have been able to see the time on that clock. Post-op, I could see it. There was a minor pulling feeling in my right eye while reading that clock only because that eye was the worst, 20/50 nearsighted and a slight case of farsightedness with a high level of astigmatism. Given that problem, it is having to learn how to move from near to far and was slightly over-corrected (not a bad thing). So, there is this minor distortion when I am reading something from a distance. My doc has told me that will correct itself and I am not worried. Anyway, your question about whether the cost is worth it? YES! YES! YES! I would pay double or more what I paid to be seeing the way I am. By the way, I am seeing 20/15 as of my last post-op follow up and, I won't know until June but, I think that it may be 20/10 now. I never knew it was possible to see better than 20/20 but, I am living proof that it is! Lasik was the best thing I ever did for myself.
    As for problems, your eyes may get dry pretty easily for the first month but, even after 2 weeks post-op, the dryness gets better. I find that my dryness depends on where I am. I have humidifiers at home so, my eyes stay pretty moist there but, at work, they get a little drier. No big deal. It has gotten better since last week and I look forward to how much better it will be next week.

GMUJenn, if you are a candidate, don't opt not to do it based on cost. Just make sure you have a good doctor and let them take care of you. Just imagine not having to put on glasses or contacts. Imagine not having to clean them (the glasses more than once a day if you are like me). Imagine seeing colors the way nature intended you to see them. Imagine looking across the room at a clock and not having to squint to see it. Now you tell me, do you think the cost is worth it? You won't get a no out of me!

Old 03-02-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
    GMUJenn
    (female)

GMUJenn HB User

Thank you for answering my question! I am getting ready to graduate and after my internship spending most of my time staring at the computer I look forward to that again, and I was hoping that lasik would take care the contacts drying out so bad from the computer that you have to take them out. I also dont enjoy having to clean glasses and contacts daily!

Old 03-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

My pleasure GMUJenn! First things first though. You need to go to a good Lasik doctor to find out if you are a candidate. Don't ask your regular doctor as it has been my experience that they will tell you you aren't a candidate because they don't want to lose your business.
    Go to LasikPlus.com and see if they have an office in your area. They are where I got my surgery done and they are wonderful. Their doctors are all veterans of the procedure and they have strict guidelines so, they are, in my opinion, the best!
    Good luck and keep in touch!

Old 03-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
    madera74
    (female)

madera74 HB User

Hi there! I had my procedure done in April of 2000 at TLC Laser Centers. They were absolutely fantastic, my experience was wonderful and I would do it a thousand times over again. The cost at the time was $2400/eye and I received a $400/eye discount for having attended one of the seminars. It may be less than that now, but they have cutting edge equipment and the surgeon I went to was one of the pioneers in the field, and has now done more than 50,000 procedures. It also covered all of my follow-up visits, meds (drops, etc.) and I have a lifetime warranty so if my vision ever changed I could get a free enhancement. I am 30 years old and first got glasses in the 2nd grade. My prescription was -8.75 in each eye (pretty much blind!) when I had Lasik done and I have had 20/15 vision ever since then. The procedure was a piece of cake and I had no discomfort whatsoever. To me this change has been an absolute miracle, and it took well over a year for me to get used to going to bed at night without thinking that I had to take my contacts out. The other poster mentioned the alarm clock - seriously, I used to have to pick it up in the morning and hold it right in front of my face to see the time because it was just a big red blob! It just still amazes me every day that they can correct your vision in this way, and it has just been really freeing to be rid of a dependency on contacts or glasses, especially when my vision was so bad that I was pretty much helpless without them. Good luck to you, whatever you decide, but I would definitely recommend looking into it. It's the best thing I've ever done! And as for the cost, before I had it done that sounded like a lot of money, but afterwards I felt (and still feel) like I couldn't even put a dollar amount on how wonderful it turned out to be.

Last edited by madera74; 03-03-2005 at 04:03 PM.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
    icnow
    (female)

icnow HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Is Lasik worth the cost?

I had lasik yesterday, I'm still a little blurry today but it is still wonderful. I just feel like I've had my contacts in too long and that they are dry. Other than that it is great!!! I had mine performed at Lasik Vision Institute in Nashville. They put me at ease from the very beginning. I got a one year assurance plan, Nidek laser and collagen plugs both eyes for $1198. I don't think I could have asked for a better experience. These guys have offices all over the country. I think it was and will continue to be worth the cost!!

Old 03-13-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
    dreeeemer

dreeeemer HB User

I had lasik about two months ago and it was great!! I can't say the procedure was fun, but it was quick and I could see crystal clear after going home for a short nap to let my eyes rest (Dr's orders ). I went to University Ophthalmic Consultants of Washington (In DC) but I think you can find great Dr's all around the country.

My first suggestion would be to go through your health insurance if you have it. I paid about average price ($895/eye) but got a Dr. that was really at the top of the field. I also visited Lasik Vision Institute and Lasik Plus, and while they offered similar prices, I was much more impressed with the Dr. going through my insurance, plus you know they do a good job because otherwise your reputable (hopefully!) heath insurance company would not partner up with them.

I also felt weird about the "hard sell" tactics of the salesman at Lasik Vision Institue (they wouldnt even let me see an acutal dr. when I visited) I felt like the only 'qualification' I needed to be a canidate for the surgery was a visa card. He even called me several times to get me to sign up.

Needless to say, I felt weird, so I did a search of the company and found out a lot of unflattering things about the president of the company and some scary stuff with eye infections that happened in Florida. They also insisted on the puncal plugs, which I thought unnessisary and read that you only really need them for severe dry eyes and that they should not be given just because. I am sure they would have done a great job, but I am glad I didnt let my eye surgery go to the lowest bidder.

Good luck Jen, in getting the surgery, my eyes still feel dry at times and can get tired easily, but I must say that I know I made the right choice by going through with it and that I can feel improvement as each week goes by, so dont let the initial annoyance of the constant eye drops and dryness get you down!!

Old 03-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
    gfd

gfd HB User

I had Laski eye surgery when 20 now 24 I hated glasses and contacts so that why I had the surgery. It would be cheaper to have the surgery than buy glasses and contacts all the time for alot of years. I was lucky my dad pay for the surgery my dad pay extra 200 so when my eyes go bad again I can have it done for free. I"m glad I had the surgery I hate contacts and glasses.

Closed Thread