It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Please share your stories...what do you have anxiety over?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2005, 03:16 PM   #76
    bluetooth
    Veteran

bluetooth HB User
    Re: Please share your stories...what do you have anxiety over?

I may be a little late
    but im anxious over crowds and being the centre of attention
    i get really scared being in public for example in a supermarket or when i have to walk on the side of the road that cars travel towards you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2005, 03:18 PM   #77
    Dave[UK]
    (male)

Dave[UK] HB User

Bell99, Iím on Atenolol, but only 12.5mg twice a day which is a tiny dose. I refuse to take more as I play a lot of squash and I get away with some great benefits and no side effects that Iím aware of. I was in a bad way for quite a while though and even now when I feel an irregular beat my hand races to take my pulse to check that Iím getting the appropriate number of 'regular' beats to the skipped ones. A couple of times in an ambulance really hit home that I needed to get something sorted. I had the usual tests, stress test, echocardiogram, 24 heart monitor, none of which really did that much good for me in the short term. What really made a difference was some concerted effort to relax using relaxation techniques. I still don't really believe deep down in my heart (excuse the bad pun) that everything is quite right, but I rule it with my head and now understand so much more about how thinking you have something really can bring on the symptoms.

How many times do you tell yourself 'Everybody else's might be anxiety related and just benign, but what if there is something wrong and they're just dismissing it!". I lived by that thought for too long and here I am, still alive and kicking. It's a battle with the mind that manifests itself physically and luckily for me Iíve just about beaten it. It's a tough ride though especially if you try to do it alone, but forums like this can be a lifesaver for those of us who don't get told much by our doc's! The most important thing I can tell everybody is that there is more light at the end of the tunnel than it may appear at first. Your mind is your best friend, but can also be your worst enemy, so treat what it tells you with due suspicion!

Old 02-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #78
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

It's good to hear an encouraging story Dave! Inderal makes me so darn tired sometimes it's difficult just to do the simple things. I had all the tests as well but there is always that little voice saying "they missed something". I start every day no matter what the weather by sticking my head out the door and taking a big deep breath of freash air, good air in bad air out! I need to learn some breathing techniques myself.

Old 02-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #79
    Dave[UK]
    (male)

Dave[UK] HB User

Bell99, What symptoms do you get if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by Dave[UK]; 02-27-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Old 02-28-2005, 04:40 AM   #80
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Hi Dave-
    Actually my Dr. caught this and I had no idea my heart was racing. I was in for a yearly visit and he kept asking me if I felt okay? He made me stay in his office for 3 hours and kept checking to see if it went down. It didn't so his first thought was thyroid. (I was 40 at the time) I got my thryoid checked and it was fine, then they checked my Adrenal Gland function and it too was fine, I had a EKG and the entire time my HB was 121. Then I believe I had the Echogardiogram and it was fine?
    Once I took the Inderal I sat back and said to myself "now I know why the Dr. kept asking if I felt okay" I felt like a whole new person. I had gotten so use to it I thought it was normal. It's been a year now and I take the Inderal 80 mg at night and 15 mg of Buspar twice a day for aniexty. Every now and again I will feel it start back up and I get so scared. It was nice to hear your story and that you lived to tell about it, I get so terrified I am going to have a heart attack from this.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:22 AM   #81
    lsmith1
    (female)

lsmith1 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Please share your stories...what do you have anxiety over?

Not sure if this discussion is still going on but I have health anxiety and anxiety about being home alone. I am 23 and have given myself high blood pressure from all the worry and high heart rate. My doctor says I need to calm down or I am going to have a heart attack when I am 30. I am on about every drug you can think of zoloft, xanax 4 times a day, trileptal (mood stabilizer), Toprol XL (beta blocker for palps). I have a 4 month old and I feel like she can sense my anxiety and insecurity I think it makes her uncomfortable too. I wish it would just go away! I have had this since I was 18 and I am really getting sick of it.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:34 AM   #82
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

((hugs)) Lsmith from one Anxious Mom to another.
    My Aniexty started the minute my first child was born almost 10 years ago. Never had a care in the world until then . At that time I started living in the land of "what if's". I have rapid HB as well. I will tell you for me Zoloft made me anxious and gave me massive energy burst. It almost made it worse and I had to get off of it. Mind you this was just my own personal experience with it.
    I really wish they would come up with a good aniexty med. I take Inderal (beta blocker) and Buspar (aniexty med). I am wondering if the HR is perimenopause knocking early for me? I go on the 19th for some hormone testing.
    My son will ask why I am always worried, kids do indeed pick up the vibe but at 4 months I wouldn't worry too much. I think we are all sick of living with Aniexty. People seem to think You have to power to just make it stop, if only it was that easy.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:11 AM   #83
    lsmith1
    (female)

lsmith1 HB User

Bell- I had it before my daughter too but not as bad and it was under control with meds. But now that I had her it seems that nothing helps. I worry so much that I am going to die and I am so afraid to leave her. I worry about her health too and she sleeps with me because I am so scared something is going to happen to her. I think I have post partum anxiety along with OCD. But I have not been diagnosed. It is a horrible thing to live with and when I had it 5 years ago I thought I had beaten it but I guess it will always be there. Your right people don't understand, my fiancee actually told me I needed to get myself together because he said this is making him not want to be with me. I could not believe he said that like I can just make it stop or something. I was so mad at him for doing that to me and not trying to be more understanding.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:48 AM   #84
    pat52
    (female)

pat52 HB User

I dont know what is making me so anxious. I had to quit my job of 23 years due to the panic attacks brought on I guess by a bad case of vertigo or inner ear infection. Not a very understanding boss-had the time coming even 4 weeks vacations not counting Family Medical Leave but after a month-job no longer available. I have dizzy spells 24/7-off balance and currently taking Valium 5mg 2x daily. This is suppose to help with the balance problems-dr. syas possible BPPV another MAV due to menopause and another has given up-told me to get counseling. Funny thing I was a Program Director for MR/DD individuals!
    This has been going on for 6 months - spacey, foggy head, used to walk 30 minutes a day until about 2 weeks ago I had some type of asthma (?) attack after my brisk walk-it has happened twice. I cant get into the doctor until later next month.
    Ibeen filling out job applications-but no luck. Trying to collect unemployment.
    Had carpal tunnel surgery in December and couldn't file until released from doctor.
    My husband (who is retired) tells me everything is going to be fine. I'm fine-I'll get a job soon. He doesnt understand-I'm afraid or terrified to drive long distances-I'm scared to go some places alone or being left alone in a different part of the store. I have this feeling of goose bumps from the inside -funning feelings all over my body-I thought I was getting better then it started again yesterday-jittery-cold feelings, jelly legs etc..
    I'm sorry this is long-but I don't think I can go through this again. I feel like Ive been to H**L and half-way back holding on for dear life not to fall back into that pit of despair. Insurance payments are $1300.00 per month-doesnt include medication-husband's pension just barely covers. savings wont last forever-I'm afraid someone will call me for a job and I wont be able to leave the house or stay there and work. Doctor's dont understand-spouse doesnt only ones that are there or been there do. I would like to know how you all cope and hold a job?

Old 02-28-2005, 09:04 AM   #85
    twanger
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twanger HB User

It sounds as if you need an ENT doctor. You may be having some allergies that are blocking up your ears and causing the asthma attack.

The increase in allergies goes along with Menopause. Things that didn't cause you problems in the past will at this time. In my opinion, that is some of what causes the dizzies for menopausal women.

I only say this because it has happened to me. Due to allergic responses, I developed ETD (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction) which block up your inner ear canal and causes dizziness. In addition the allergies can cause post nasal drip that can in turn cause asthma. You might want to explore this option. Sometimes, tubes are put into the ear canal and people feel great. You can look at this on the internet.

There is no need to ruin your life worrying when maybe something can be done.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #86
    Dave[UK]
    (male)

Dave[UK] HB User

Hi Bell99!

I'm fortunate or unfortunate depending on your point of view to work in IT so I have access to a PC 24/7. That means that i've done a huge amount of research, both on my condition (probably severe ectopic heartbeats is the theory) and on related symptoms. The most widely experienced conditions i've read about are strangely what we have, either skipped/heavy beats or racing heart rate. The worst situation is both at the same time, those are always hell!

However, on the plus side i've read so much about it and it really does seem that both conditions are really wide spead and almost never an indication of any health problem. Its taken a looooong time for me to be able to say those words and actually believe them, but fortunately turning that corner can happen at any time. My mind set changed when I thought about my heart in the same way as some sort of pump you would use to inflate something. If you squeeze it air comes out, simple. If you squeeze it fast or slow the pump doesn't care, in the case of your heart it's made to last for nearly 100 years so what's a set of strange beats of the occasional rapid workout going to do to it? People who run a marathon have a heart rate of 120+ for hours and they're fit as a fiddle. The heart can do that kind of work, simple as that.

The problem is your minds perception of what is happening. I realised that although my heart trouble was so uncomfortable I wanted to cut my heart right out of my chest, it was really my reaction to an 'episode' that made the situation so bad. When you finally say to yourself this is ok, the medical community knows all about it and it's just a pain in the neck, the rest gets easier to deal with.

You get the bad times every now and again, but just absorbing the feelings and hitting back with some deep breathing and some medication makes the whole situation easier to manage, almost like keeping your head above water.

This is all probably all sounding like complete rubbish, but I really know how people are feeling on here and I think it's important to share progress to show that you can beat your mind.

The strength is there it just takes a while sometimes!

Last edited by Dave[UK]; 02-28-2005 at 11:58 AM.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:47 PM   #87
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Oh...another thing that I have anxiety over? Seeing so many of the exact symptoms for SOOOOO many ailments!!! How do you deal with that!

Old 03-05-2005, 04:51 PM   #88
    effected_orchid
    (female)

effected_orchid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by strungoutagain
    my anxiety is primarily social. it never used to be this bad, but these days whenever someone approaches me i freeze up like a deer in headlights, have trouble focusing on what they're saying, and struggle to form a coherent response. it sort of feels like i'm in a play but the night of the performance, everyone is acting out a completely different script. that might be a strange way to put it, but that's how it is, for me, anyway.
    Wow my dr just gave me some pilss said i had anxiety and to look it up and I thought no I don't....so I was reading here and what you said is me....through the years I have closed out people from my life and try not to get caught up in anything or any situation where I might be on the spot and even writing this makes the tears well up and it has gotten to the point if dh talks about anyone that I have closed out of my life I freak I well up and cry and can't breath and i can't even explain to him I hate crying anyways just glad to know that i am normal somewhere
    Thanks

Old 03-05-2005, 05:15 PM   #89
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

This is a good topic because so many of us can relate and get it off of our chests. I've always had generalized anxiety, and in my early teens, I developed a fear of vomiting, or emetophobia. That, as well as the stress from growing up in an alcoholic household caused me constant anxiety and panic attacks. Years went by of fluctuating between being an honor student and not going to school at all. It depended how medicated I was, but then, of course, I developed a dependence on Klonopin, and went through months of hell trying to stop that after repeated attempts. Finally, after many more months of torturous withdrawal, I was free from the drug, but I was so behind in high school, I dropped out. After another year or so of meds, I stopped them completely and was able to learn how to stop my panic attacks. Or at least keep them under control almost completely. My anxiety level was mediocre, I found that I WASN'T that depressed without medication, and was doing pretty well. Then, BAM! One day I woke up nauseous, and then had vertigo, and then had the dizzies and vertigo for nine straight months. I had an inner ear disorder, and that scared the hell out of me. I still think I was meant to have it to help me get over my fear of vomiting, which I have never been completely over. I never did vomit, but heaved and was nauseous 24 hours a day. I'm still scared to throw up, but not nearly as much. Since then though, I've been sick. I developed a Chronic Fatigue-like illness and a million and one other problems that also FORCED me to confront things I was anxious about. So many of us are afraid of embarassing ourselves in public by fainting, panicking, or generally making fools of ourselves. Well, I did all of the above. I have since then fainted SEVERAL times in public from extremely low blood sugar, and constant low blood pressure. It was terrifying because of the feelings that come with low blood sugar, and terribly embarassing. You would think that it would've helped me get OVER the fear of those things happening in public, but it only worsened my fear of going out, because my health is so cruddy, and I'm afraid it's going to happen again. So, those 8 or 9 times a day panic attacks are coming back, although not as severe, and definitely not as often. Once every couple of weeks I'll get a panic attack, and experience anxiety almost EVERY time I go out into public now, again. But, I have FAITH that I WILL get over the anxiety again, like before. My only problem now is that my adrenals are insufficient, and I PHYSICALLY can't handle any stress. So, here's MY list of what I'm anxious over. Sorry for the long story, I just felt that it was important for me to share it because it shows that you CAN overcome panic attacks/anxiety. And if they come back, you can beat them again.

~I'm worried that I'll be too sick to have children (I'm 20 now, and don't want kids yet, but definitely in the future)
    ~I'm worried that I won't ever have the strength to leave my abusive, jerky boyfriend, and I'll end up like my mom who was married to one of those men for 20 years.
    ~I'm worried about being all alone and not in a relationship
    ~I'm worried that I'll never be able to get better
    ~I'm scared of fainting again in public (or, even scarier, going into anaphylactic shock in public again)
    ~I'm scared I'll never love anyone as much as my current boyfriend
    ~I'm still SOMEWHAT scared of vomiting
    ~I'm afraid of losing control
    ~I'm worried that I'll never be able to work and function "normally"
    ~I'm worred about all my medical bills, and because I have no car insurance now

Take care everyone
    ~Katalina

Last edited by Solstice1221; 03-05-2005 at 05:17 PM.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #90
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

pat52,

I can totally relate about the inner ear disorder. It's a terrible disorder to develop, and SURELY causes major anxiety.

~Katalina

Closed Thread