It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• questions about blood work and anyone else told it could be mono?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2005, 08:48 AM   #1
    momuv3roses
    (female)

momuv3roses HB User
    questions about blood work and anyone else told it could be mono?

For over a year I have felt tired, cold, so fatigued my body would ache at the end of the day, I could not get out of bed...I am only 25 yrs. old. I started to feel l like it was in my head and I was being lazy. I am the mom of 3 small children. Last year, One doc did blood work and said I must have a sleep problem like apnea.

This doc did blood work and said I am anemic. Hemoglobin is 8 and RBC is 2.2 First question is that really low? I mean how bad before they treat that?

Well there best guess right now for the cause is that I had mono at some point and never recovered fully. Anyone else told that? Does that sound right?

I go back in another week to check my blood.

I started taking Vitamin B-12 pills (but they hurt my stomach) and sleep 10-11 hours at night I feel good once I finally get out bed for 2 hours and then I am fatigued all over again. I hate it I don't ever get to enjoy my dy and I am such a crab in the evening. I wait tables PT three 5 hour shifts a week and it wipes me out.

What other cause could the anemia be from that I am not asking about? The only other weird abnormality is that in the last 6 months I spot slightly about a week after my period stops.

I am seemingly otherwise healthy, my blood pressure is low/ but it has been that way my whole life.

Thanks.

Last edited by momuv3roses; 03-08-2005 at 08:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User
    Re: questions about blood work and anyone else told it could be mono?

First off, your hemoglobin and red blood cell count are DEFINITELY low. Your doctor should have put you on iron supplements 3 times a day to start building up your counts. I have had problems with anemia for a couple of years now and I'm a 28 year old female - so I understand your frustration about this! The cause for my anemia was never really found but it's thought to be caused by a GI bleed somewhere since I've tested positive several times for blood in my stool. I don't understand why your doc said this could be related to having mono? I just had mono this past fall and it didn't affect my anemia - it only affected my white blood cells and liver functions. That really doesn't make any sense and I'd ask your doc to clarify that one.

Generally at the level of anemia you have most docs would look into the cause - i.e. do you have heavy monthly cycles, any GI problems, etc. Again, the mono theory doesn't make sense at all so I'd pursue this further if I were you. The lowest my hemoglobin got was 7.4 and it sucked!! I had absolutely no energy and I was just finishing up grad school and working at the same time - it was exhausting. My doc finally referred me to a hematalogist who gives me IV iron infusions to raise my levels when they get too low. That's been SO helpful and I've got most of my energy back! Good luck!

Old 03-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by momuv3roses
    For over a year I have felt tired, cold, so fatigued my body would ache at the end of the day, I could not get out of bed...I am only 25 yrs. old. I started to feel l like it was in my head and I was being lazy. I am the mom of 3 small children. Last year, One doc did blood work and said I must have a sleep problem like apnea.

This doc did blood work and said I am anemic. Hemoglobin is 8 and RBC is 2.2 First question is that really low? I mean how bad before they treat that?

Well there best guess right now for the cause is that I had mono at some point and never recovered fully. Anyone else told that? Does that sound right?

I go back in another week to check my blood.

I started taking Vitamin B-12 pills (but they hurt my stomach) and sleep 10-11 hours at night I feel good once I finally get out bed for 2 hours and then I am fatigued all over again. I hate it I don't ever get to enjoy my dy and I am such a crab in the evening. I wait tables PT three 5 hour shifts a week and it wipes me out.

What other cause could the anemia be from that I am not asking about? The only other weird abnormality is that in the last 6 months I spot slightly about a week after my period stops.

I am seemingly otherwise healthy, my blood pressure is low/ but it has been that way my whole life.

Thanks.
    Your three small children could be a clue. If you became anemic while pregnant each time and did not recover between pregnancies, you may just have exhausted your ability to make new blood cells. Also if you have had mono, you probably lost your appetite and then just the small children and the job alone could keep you too tired to catch up physically. If you can, get the doctor to find out specifically what is going on. The answers are there. Make sure that you try to add iron rich foods to your diet like red meat, spinach, and potatos that are baked with the skin on. Also add orange juice to your diet which will help your body use any b12 that you may be able to get.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #4
    momuv3roses
    (female)

momuv3roses HB User

Thank you. I will pursue with another doc if I don't get answers. I don't have unusually heavy periods and am unaware of any GI bleeding. The doctor told me I did not need iron because that was not low. I think I will request a copy of my labs so I can see what exactly I have been tested for and get another opinion. BTW-Iron as well as vitamin B-12 hurts my stomach.
    Today my body aches so bad I can barely stand it. I am also getting a cold, that may not be helping.
    Thanks again. Still frustrated and patiently awaiting some answers.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #5
    sdb
    (female)

sdb HB User

Iron makes my stomach hurt too, but I have found a good remedy for that...Folic acid...When I take the two together, it helps...ALSO DO NOT take Iron before you go to bed at night, as this could make the stomach problems worse...Make sure you take it in the AM or the afternoon with food...I have never taken B12 by mouth, only injections, so I don't know what to tell you about that...But if you are taking these medications on an empty stomach, that could make the pain worse...

Closed Thread