It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• can salycic acid break you out more?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2005, 07:41 AM   #16
    Healthy.J
    (male)

Healthy.J HB User
    Re: can salycic acid break you out more?

Use your search engine and look up resistant bacteria or benzoyl peroxide resistant bacteria. You say it is a proven scientific fact that benzoyl peroxide cannot breed drug resistant bacteria, but this was the same belief for triclosan some decades ago. Think about how many "facts" and studies that scientists have done, and how years later they say things that contradict that study, because of a little something called human error. As you said the reason why people don't respond is beyond you. You don't know why and scientists don't explain that, do they? Being that neither you, or I know for a fact why BP stops working for some people, I took a guess that like other anti-bacterial chemicals it is PROBABLY creating drug resistant bacteria, like tricolosan. Overall benzoyl peroxide is not good for your skin. It ages you and has a risk of giving you skin cancer. If you use it, it should be used in moderation, and not for too many years. I want to stop using it because it has been messing up my skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #17
    Tiefer479
    Veteran
    (female)

Tiefer479 HB User

The difference between triclosan and benzoyl peroxide is that the latter in not an antibacterial agent designed to target specific bacteria. BP releases oxygen into the skin, creating an envirionment in which bacteria cannot survive - decades of clinical experience have shown that BP can actually reduce bacterial resistance that has arisen as a result of prolonged antibiotic therapy. Don't get me wrong - I can entirely understand your desire to stop treatment: BP can be very irritating, can produce allergic reactions in a minority of users, and, as you say, has been known to promote premature ageing of the skin if one does not moisturize adequately (this is particularly true of women, whose skin cannot withstand higher concentrations nearly as readily). It is also true that BP's effectiveness can depend upon how one prepares the skin prior to application - i.e., the kind of cleanser one uses. Nevertheless, the fact remains that the bacteria responsible for acne in most people (p.acnes - which naturally inhabit the skin of all healthy people) cannot multiply in an oxidized environment.

Last edited by Tiefer479; 03-16-2005 at 09:52 PM.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:21 PM   #18
    Healthy.J
    (male)

Healthy.J HB User

Maybe you’re right about bacteria not being able to survive in an oxidized environment, but the question is why does it suddenly stop working for so many? If the bacteria cannot survive and it works at first why does it suddenly stop? There may be other explanations, but the fact that so many report this sudden end of BP working for them, shows some type of resistance, right? The only reason I say this is because that's the only clear explanation I can think of and other anti-bacterials do this to some people. I mean, sure the original bacteria cannot survive in that environment, but this new breed of bacteria is different from normal bacteria. It is very resistant to any anti-bacterials (evolution can be a *****, lol). No matter the case, benzoyl peroxide is not for me. I am too young to be having dull free radical infested skin. I am trying the basis vitamin bar cleanser now. Hopefully this new cleanser wont clog my pores, because it is not irritating. I also stopped using that salicylic acid, because I noticed my acne scars getting worse, which is known to happen to people with dark complexions, using BHA. The jojoba oil does not seem to moisturize good enough for me. I may start using Suave vitamin e/multi-vitamin lotion (not vitamin e oil) instead. Hopefully I can find a "natural" healthy cleanser that does not clog my pores, so I won’t have to use that BP again!

Last edited by Healthy.J; 03-16-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #19
    Tiefer479
    Veteran
    (female)

Tiefer479 HB User

I'd be the first to admit that I'm hardly in a position to comment authoritatively on the sometimes inconsistent results with BP, but I suspect it is probably attributable to the fact that there are other accompanying factors - in addition to the build-up of bacteria - that contribute to the formation of acne, and which BP may not always defend against as effectively (the irregular shedding of dead skin cells, for instance). There are other variables to consider as well: I personally have found that the skin must be entirely dry before application, and, as I mentioned before, certain kinds of cleansers can optimize its effectiveness. At any rate, the other potential hazards are numerous and I can totally sympathize with your desire to get off it. Good luck with whatever new regime you decide upon.

Closed Thread