It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• How many of you have laid out of work (or school) because of your acne?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
    Beth Ann
    (female)

Beth Ann HB User
    Arrow How many of you have laid out of work (or school) because of your acne?

Needing to vent here. I'm 37, and I have cystic acne. When I was a teen-ager I had pimples. Turned 20 and started getting huge cysts, and no help from the dermatologists. Tetracycline helped sometimes, but I don't like taking it year round. Besides, I think after a while, I get immune to it. I've learned that mine is hormonal, and that stress (and possibly sugar) makes it flare up. I cannot keep my hands away from the cysts, and almost always make them worse. I've went to the derm and gotten injections (which are awesome!), but they don't like to keep giving you the shots in the same areas over and over. So, anyway, I got this ugly, ugly cyst about 4 months ago. I got rid of it, but it keeps coming back - in the same spot. I have picked at it (I know. I shouldn't have done that. ), and have now made it monstrous. I laid out of work last night, and am not going in tonight. I am just too embarrassed. Every one looks at my chin, and not in my eyes. Some try hard not to look, but I know they see. I am a pretty popular person at work (not bragging), and everyone always wants to talk to me. There's even one man who thinks he can say anything he wants to me, and that it won't hurt my feelings. Wrong! He once said to me, "What is wrong with your face???" Now, when I'm like this, I try to avoid him especially. I have an appt. with my GYN tomorrow to try and find out why I'm having so many hormone problems. To all of you out there suffering with acne, I feel your pain. I'm thankful for these boards, and for others out there like me. We all need each other. I'm sorry for the long post, but needed to get this out of my system. I'm almost 40 years old! I'm getting way too old for this crap!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
    carole820

carole820 HB User
    Re: How many of you have laid out of work (or school) because of your acne?

I never miss work when I break out because I'd be gone all the time! I can totally relate, though. I'm 38 and also have cystic acne that's hormone and stress related. Your co-worker sounds like a jerk . . . I think that while people notice when I'm breaking out, it doesn't look as bad to them as it does to me.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
    Beth Ann
    (female)

Beth Ann HB User

One thing I forgot......what do you do when you pick at it, and make it worse? Is there something I can put on it to heal it up faster? I have tried Neosporin before, but it seemed to make it worse before it got better.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
    Beth Ann
    (female)

Beth Ann HB User

Oh, and I don't lay out every time, or I'd be like you said, Carole820 - gone all the time! This just happens to be one of the worst times and I couldn't bear to go in. I wanted to be able to not put on any make-up, hoping that it would heal quicker. I'm really ashamed of myself. What a loser, huh?

Old 03-17-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
    aprilnichole

aprilnichole HB User

My skin was so bad in August last year that I took 4 days off of work and went and hibernated at my parents house who live in a small coastal town where I knew I could go without makeup for a week and treat my face and nobody would see me. I lied to my boss and told her I was having family problems but really I was just so depressed because of my acne.
    I felt like a loser/slacker but it was all I could think of to do because I was so ashamed to show my face to the world at home and work.

at least now I know I am not the only one

Old 03-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

i didn't leave my house for two weeks because of a particularly nasty cystic breakout. even had my mom pick up my meds at the pharmacy, i was too humiliated...

Old 03-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
    yelps
    (male)

yelps HB User

After thinking about "it"

Old 03-17-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User
    Smile Re: How many of you have laid out of work (or school) because of your acne?

I have never called into work over my skin but have wanted to many times. What I don't do is anything social at all. I am 26 and have had acne for 15 years. The last two years have been worse than ever. I have tried everything under the sun to get rid of it. Today my dermatologist put me on accutane. I have to wait for a blood test to come back before I officialy start taking the accutane which should be Monday. I am going to be on a 5 month treatment. I am willing to suffer all the side affects to try to acheive clear skin. so I guess we will see.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
    carole820

carole820 HB User

Beth Ann - In answer to your question about what to do to make the cyst that you picked better . . . one thing that I've tried is taking Advil to reduce the swelling and putting ice on it. Avoid the temptation to use anything overdrying, since it will be harder to cover up if you do. Also, as long as you're missing work, try to get some extra sleep. When I have a really bad breakout if I can sleep for 9 or 10 hours (I usually sleep about 6) my face looks alot better the next day.

Good luck!

Closed Thread