It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• muscle aches associated with Lipitor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2002, 08:28 AM   #16
    luvzmutt

luvzmutt HB User
    I too had problems with Lipitor. After taking it for over a year I started having horrible pains in my thighs. My Dr. took me off Lipitor and the pains went away. Started taking Zocor and now have unbearable pains in my upper arms. I went off the Zocor 12 days ago and still have pains. Dr. told me I am one of those who can't handle the statin drugs. He wants me to start Zetia, a new drug that is not a statin. Has anyone taken this or know anything about this drug?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2002, 12:56 PM   #17
    32skater
    (female)

32skater HB User
    Hi: All I know is that I have been on Tricor, which
    is non-statin and I was no better off for it. My
    numbers were great but the side effects were still
    there. I was confident that non-statins would be
    the answer as I had my time on Lipitor, as well. I
    am trying to go with the policosanol and the no-flush
    niacin. Good luck, Dottie

Old 03-14-2005, 06:32 AM   #18
    smaslow
    (female)

smaslow HB User
    Re: muscle aches associated with Lipitor

i sure hope you can help me. you are the only person i have read about that went on prednisone for the muscle pains. i was in such severe pain i ended up in the hospital. i believe it also is from the lipitor. my dr. says no. but she did put me on prednisone also. when i start to ween myself off the prednisone the pain comes back in the same excruciating way that sent me to the hospital. i know i can't stay on prednisone forever, do you think my pain will eventually go away? i was on lipitor since nov. 2003. i stopped taking it on feb. 15, 2005. can you give me any advice ? thanks shirley

Last edited by smaslow; 03-14-2005 at 06:54 AM.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:34 AM   #19
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Linda,

Lots of people (myself included) have had problems with statins. I had serious muscle pain in both arms, overall weakness, and pronounced exercise intolerance after over 7 years on Lipitor. For me, having started combination therapy with Tricor seemed to be what put me over the edge. I've been off all cholesterol meds for 1 year, and the muscle pain is much less noticeable (not gone though), and I can jog much further than 1 year ago.

I've not heard of prednisone to cure muscle aches from statins, but you're right - you can't stay on it forever - it is oral cortisone - and cortisone has it's own long-term risks.

For some, the aches go away within weeks of stopping the meds. Not so for others. Watch out for tingling or burning sensations also - because it indicates nerve damage, and that seems to take a lot longer to heal than the muscle pains... You can get these effects from Tricor in addition to statins, so be mindful...

CoQ10 supplements do help restore CoQ10 levels in the blood, and eventually in the tissues - because statins definitely deplete this substance, which is vital in order for your mitochondria to synthesize ATP to give you energy... I was on 200mg/day of CoQ10 for the last 6 months - can't say for sure it is what helped heal me... but I am definitely feeling better.

Hope your pains go away quickly...

HubbleRules

Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 AM   #20
    dtjobrien
    (male)

dtjobrien HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hunter44
    Simple answer. Statins can cause irreversible muscle damage. Irreversible. That means it doesn't come back. Think about it.
    I don't understand this post. Are you saying that damage is irreversible?? WHAT doesn't come back?

And what data do you base this comment on?

Old 03-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #21
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

dtjobrien,

Look up "Dr. Beatrice Golomb, MD" from UCSD... She is currently conducting an independent study of the side-effects of statins. The following is a quote from an interview she gave back in March 2002:

Dr. Golomb: "Based on case reports we have received, these problems seem to generally be reversible. However it appears that in some cases recovery is prolonged or incomplete, particularly for muscle symptoms and neuropathy."

Based on posts I've read on this site, the above quote appears to be true - some have had serious side-effects (muscle pain, weakness, burning sensations...) that have persisted for years with no improvements. This seems to be especially true for neuropathy induced by statins.

Of course this evidence is mostly anectdotal right now. However, considering the fact that there is absolutely no profit motive to study the true nature and extent of statin side-effects, it becomes logical that no clinical studies have been conducted to date to determine the true extent of the problem.

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 03-16-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:07 PM   #22
    Cloverberry52
    (female)

Cloverberry52 HB User

I was taking Zocor 10 mgs and there was no problem from it. Then I was told to start taking 20 mgs and my back started hurting terribly so I went back to 10 mgs. My doctor prescribed Zetia tabs and I took them for 3 days and my back hurt for a month. I went back to 10 mgs of Zocor until my leg started hurting. I quit taking anything and my leg improved but it still hurts some. Also I can't sleep on my left side any more because it goes numb and my leg hurts. I look into these two drugs and they're both made by the same company. The company must be giving the doctor money because my doctor won't prescribe anything else. I'm afraid to try someone else because my doctor is prescribing a sleeping aid for me and I'm afraid another doctor won't prescribe it for me and I need it to sleep.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #23
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

If your dr. won't work with you, I strongly suggest U try to find someone else. My old dr. wouldn't work with me over trying something other then statins, so I dumped him. I don't know what your taking for a sleep helper, but I'm sure if U found another dr. and explained all this, he/she would work with you, but U have to make it clear from the beggining, U feel U need that med. or something as good so U can get your sleep.

Staying with a dr. just for a sleeping aid is not good, especially if he is giving U other meds. which are causing you more and more pain. Noone should be taking stuff that is harming them more then helping. Statins are not for everyone, as both my husband and I tried them, and more then one kind, but it resulted in so much pain, we both decided not to take them. Luckily we both switched drs. and they are trying to help us with alternitive things, although I know they would be much happier if we just popped a statin, but it is our bodies, not theirs.

Definitely give it some thought, and also try and have a good heart to heart talk with your dr. and find out why he will not try something else on you, seeing you are in so much pain. As U have probably read on this board, many folks have tried several statins and now have problems which may never go away. Some folks take them and do fine, God bless them, but for those that can't, another route needs to be taken. Good luck...

BTW..Just how high are your numbers? Maybe they could be lowered with diet, exercise and some lifestyle changes, and has your dr. tried that routine with you first before sticking U on statins?

Old 03-17-2005, 04:02 AM   #24
    Cloverberry52
    (female)

Cloverberry52 HB User

my total cholesterol to begin with was 295. Yes I probably could lower the numbers with diet and exercise, the doctor did suggest it. The stuff I take for sleeping really isn't a problem. It's not addictive and it's mild. I really don't think another doctor would have a problem prescribing it. I'm going to the doctor in a couple of months for a checkup and if she won't prescribe anything else but a statin drug I'll go somewhere else.

PS: Can anyone recommend a good non-statin drug that I could suggest to the doctor?

Last edited by Cloverberry52; 03-17-2005 at 04:16 AM.

Old 03-19-2005, 07:45 AM   #25
    Cloverberry52
    (female)

Cloverberry52 HB User

I'm going to look into Waiora Superior Fiber. Thanks

Old 03-24-2005, 11:37 AM   #26
    ASU1997
    (male)

ASU1997 HB User

Since this area mentioned side effects from Lipitor please see what I just posted with the subject 'Crestor' and about some side effects. Before I start taking it I'm hoping to get some insight. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2005, 07:07 PM   #27
    MALMAN
    (male)

MALMAN HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gorgon
    Well Linda, sounds like you are one of the unlucky people who can't tolerate the Lipitor. Muscle twitching, aching, and weakness are the hallmarks of the many side-effects associated with this whole class of drugs. Some people believe that taking CoQ10 helps - it really didn't help me much - but the muscle aches will most likely abate over time. There are other drugs and supplements that may reduce your chol. levels somewhat, but the statins do an excellent job of keeping the bad chol. down - but are toxic to some of us. Watch out for tingling and numbness (neuropathy)if you continue lipitor-this will take a lot longer to clear up.

I HAVE BEEN OFF 20MG OF LIPITOR FOR 6 MONTHS AND STILL HAVE PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY BAD IN MY FEET AND I ALSO HAVE SOME SORT OF IRRITATION ON MY UPPER LIP THAT GETS RED NOW AND THEN AND MY INSIDE UPPER LIP FEELS LIKE A FAT LIP WOULD FEEL.

ALL THE DOCTORS WILL NOT BUY INTO THE LIPITOR THEORY. MY PROBLEMS ALL STARTED AFTER BEING ON 40MG OF PRAVACHOL FOR 18 MONTHS AND BEING SWITCHED TO 20 MG OF LIPITOR. IT TOOK LESS THAN A MONTH BEFORE I HAD ALL THESES HORRIFIC PAINS AND TINGLING IN MY FEET.

THIS IS SCARY STUFF. I CAN ONLY HOPE THIS EVENTUALYY CLEARS UP. IT IS A NIGHTMARE THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED.

MALMAN

Closed Thread