It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• success with ssri?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2005, 06:00 AM   #1
    flutterby077
    (female)

flutterby077 HB User
    success with ssri?

Has anyone on these boards been on a ssri for a certain amount if time and successfully come off without having to go back on? I would like to know because I was put on lexapro for depression/anxiety and I wonder how long I will have to stay on this medication. The doctor says 3-6 mos. Has anyone else done this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
    Sallyz
    Veteran
    (female)

Sallyz HB User
    Re: success with ssri?

My doctor said 3-6 months too, but that was just an estimate. I think it depends on the person--the goal is to change the chemical environment in your brain so you aren't as anxious or depressed. It's scary at first, I'm starting on one right now too. My mom has had a lot of success with this kind of medicine and she says whatever the side effects, it's worth it--I'm gonna stick it out.
    I hope this helps a little.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
    DreaC11

DreaC11 HB User

I went of Zoloft three years ago. I had two or three anxiety attacks (which were easily the most terrifying experience of my life) and then rapidly descended into a uni-polar depression. I was in cognitive therapy without medication for the first few months, but found that not much progress could be made beacuse all I could really do was sit there and cry. So I went on Zoloft and it helped immensly. It allowed me make more progress in talk therapy and kept me from letting myself get too deep into the spinning cycles of sadness, guilt, anxiety etc. After nine months, I came off them and continued therapy for another three. I never experienced any side effects except I lost four pounds (not really a good or bad thing.)
    Now it appears I may be having a bit of a relapse. It is a complicated story, but at the urging of my doctor I decided to go back on the Zoloft. Well the craziest thing has happened in the past few years. Now when I take it, I get a splitting headache and can't sleep for a night- that was just after one pill. So I have been on a 5mg dose of Lexapro for 6 days and so far so good.
    The one thing I would say about SSRI's is that they REALLY should be done in conjunction with cognitive therapy. They do elevate your mood and change your brain chemistry, but are not a silver bullet.

Best of Luck
    A

Old 03-29-2005, 11:17 PM   #4
    hippierae

hippierae HB User

I have been on Lexapro for a year and a half now and have had virtually no problems. I am not sure why you would want to go off it unless you have learned how to deal with your anxiety first. Lexapro will help stop some of the insanity you are feeling and allow you to get therapy or to start to deal with issues yourself if you can. I cant imagine not being on my Lex right now and have no desire to stop.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:29 PM   #5
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User

Yes I am getting back on Lexapro because it worked so well for me. When I stopped taking it I believed I did not need it anymore because I felt so good that I stopped. Well not long after stopping the Lexapro I lost my job...the job of my dreams. It all went down the drain. I became extremely depressed, it was awful and could not make sense of the loss of my job. I got on Celexa but it only helped somewhat. Now I am weaning off of Celexa and getting right back on Lexapro. I wish I would have stayed on it in the first place. I am realizing that I need to stay on it and accept that it is really helpful. Anyway, good luck you guys let me know how it all goes for you. Thanks for sharing your stories. These boards are so helpful, I come back often feeling relieved that nobody is alone with depression or anxiety.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I have stopped antidepressants with no long term problems and without the original problems returning

Old 03-30-2005, 07:01 PM   #7
    hopeless_gurl
    (female)

hopeless_gurl HB User

I was on zoloft for about a year maybe a little longer and decided that I was able to handle things on my own. since I was feeling better . during the time I was taking it if I missed one I would feel kinda cruddy and get a bad headache but as soon as I got the dose I was fine. Once I stopped taking it all together kinda cold turkey "AFTER" I had already messed up the routine. I had a few headaches and felt kinda tired a day or 2 but nothing bad atall.. then a year later which was last year, I got really depressed again and tried to go back on it. NO WAY ... I couldnt do it I had horrible anxiety attacks and felt like I was dieing. wish i could still take it but not anymore.
    since then I have bounced from one to the other trying to find something to work without all the side effects. Now Im on "LEXAPRO" today is the 2nd day hope it works... anyone care to share experience with this one?
    I wish you much luck in this.

Closed Thread