It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Post Accutane Update

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
    desertgirl
    (female)

desertgirl HB User
    Post Accutane Update

Hello people...I just wanted to give a quick, post accutane update. I went off accutane a week before Christmas and for the last three months I have been enjoying life with (gasp) clear skin. I'm not trying to brag, of course, but I went through skin hell for so long that I never take my skin for granted now.

I bought some Pro-Active solution about a month and a half ago, just to make sure I was using a system that was designed to keep my skin clear. I like it a lot and I rarely get pimples, and if I do, they are usually very tiny and go away by the next day (if I don't touch them. My skin is still really thin after accutane and when I try to pop a baby zit, I end up cutting the skin and leaving a scab. Only had to learn that lesson once though.)

I also wanted to let CuriousP (I think) know that the flesh colored bumps that we both seemed to suffer from have not come back. That was my main reason for buying the pro active. I wanted something with a scrubby cleanser to make sure that my pores stayed clean in order to help keep those bumps away.

Good luck to everyone. I will update again. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens over the summer. I hope my skin doesn't break out again. It'll be so nice not to go out with a face full of makeup during the incredibly hot summer days. It just melts right off anyway and leaves your face looking greasy. Hopefully, this summer I won't need the coverage. I'll keep you guys posted...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
    adam2180
    (male)

adam2180 HB User
    Re: Post Accutane Update

that's great i never had to use accutane but suffered and know what its like emotionally and i'm really glad and i hopefully everything will stay well for you. the people i went to high school that did have to do accutane after it was over they never broke out again and their skin smoothed out really nicely. congratulations to you

Adam

Old 03-28-2005, 11:23 AM   #3
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Desertgirl,
    I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying life with a clear face. I know how great that feeling is too and acctuane has been more than worth it.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
    girlygal

girlygal HB User

can u tell me how the months on accutane were bad breakouts, redface or dry lips any info will help thanks?

Old 03-28-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
    howhorrible
    (male)

howhorrible HB User

You're all so lucky that accutane did what you hoped. Sure I've got clearer skin, but my hair has fallen out quite a bit and put me into deep depression. If my hair DOES grow back, I'll be happy with accutane too!

Old 03-28-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
    desertgirl
    (female)

desertgirl HB User

Adam 2180- thanks for your words of congradulations. I really appreciate them. I understand the emotional pain of acne...it was so terrible-and even after my skin is clear I sometimes still deal with self confidence issues because I still feel insecure because I was insecure about my skin for so long. Ugh...

Bostongirl-I'm glad accutane is still working for you! Gives me more hope, because you've been off longer than I have. I hope that your skin continues to stay clear.

Girlygal-I was on accutane for five months and my face did turn a little bit pink. It was never red, but the pinkness was slightly noticeable without makeup on. That has since gone away. My only other side effect was really, really dry lips. Those are much better now, but I still have to use more chapstick than I did before accutane. Still, it's not a major problem. Oh...and my eyes were dry on accutane, but not anymore. If you're thinking about taking it, I'd highly suggest it (if it's okay with your doctor, of course.)

Howhorrible-Wow! I'm so sorry to hear that your hair has fallen out. Have you tried the shampoo called "Nioxin"? I've heard it really helps people who have hair that has fallen out. I think that even chemo patients use it when they are done with their treatment and are trying to grow back their hair. Also, what about rogain? Maybe that will help? Good luck. I'll send a prayer your way whenever I think about it.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:04 AM   #7
    girlygal

girlygal HB User

desertgirl
    Did you have a bad initial breadout? That is what scares me most.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:54 AM   #8
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Desertgirl,
    I cross my fingers everyday that I stay clear. But isn't it so nice to not take forever in the morning finding new ways to cover up breakouts? I can get ready in about 10 minutes now!

Old 03-29-2005, 09:10 AM   #9
    girlygal

girlygal HB User

bostongirl44
    how long were u on accutane and what dose? Can you tell me if u had mild or moderate acne and did u have a bad initial breakout and how long it lasted any infor will help me. Thanks

Old 03-29-2005, 09:28 AM   #10
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlygal
    bostongirl44
    how long were u on accutane and what dose? Can you tell me if u had mild or moderate acne and did u have a bad initial breakout and how long it lasted any infor will help me. Thanks
    Hi girlygal,
    I was on accutane from March-September 2004. I was on 40 mg/day and I would take 80 mg on weekends. My dose stayed the same the whole time I was on it. I didn't have acne all over my face but I would get massive cysts that were painful and lasted for months. I had one on my cheek for over a year that would just not go away. I couldn't sleep on my right side for the longest time due to the pain. I was lucky that I did not have an initial breakout, which I was terrified of getting. I mean, these cysts were bad enough in and of themselves without having to deal with more breakouts. I only had slightly dry eyes, nose, and lips. Nothing that was too unbearable.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:35 AM   #11
    desertgirl
    (female)

desertgirl HB User

girlygal- Like Bostongirl, I didn't have an initial breakout either. In fact, many of the smaller pimples I had cleared up immediately-within a week of taking my first accutane pill. The larger, more cyst like pimples, took about a month or so to go away. Plus, I always figured that if I had an initial breakout, it'd be worth it - if my skin got clear later on and stayed that way. I always dreaded it and expected it to come, but it never did. I was on 40 mg a day for my five months. Accutane was the only thing that ever helped me and I did everything! I took antibiotics, tried spiro (which helped some), used every prescription cream and tried everything at the drugstores. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner! I could have saved myself a lot of torment. For example, I missed a lot of college in my first three years and I am so behind now (I'm currently a 6th year senior); I missed so much class because my skin looked so terrible that I was afraid to face my classmates. It was always just so hard to go to college and see all the pretty girls or handsome guys with their near perfect skin. I always felt like I was being judged, when I probably wasn't.

Bostongirl-I know what you mean! I love it when my mom or my boyfriend calls me to meet them and I don't have to plan extra time to fix up my face. I can take a shower, blow dry my hair, swipe on mascara and a dab of concealer and lip gloss and go! I even went to the grocery store the other day without makeup on...it was the first time since I was 12 that I went out in public without makeup on. I couldn't believe it'd been 12 years since I'd done that.... it made me feel "normal." Not like the old person I was who was so consumed with her skin.... you know? I think about other stuff now before my face. It's a great feeling. I hope that things continue to work out for the both of us!

Old 03-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #12
    darkeyes

darkeyes HB User

desertgirl, you say you were on 40mg for 5 months? how much do you weigh, if you don't mind my asking? i was on the same dosage for 5 months..only my skin did not stay clear for long.. i enjoyed it while it lasted. i'm about 100lbs. my derm. wanted me to do 60mg a day after a few months but i resisted... not sure i should have on account of having to repeat taking accutane. but the first time around, i had some unpleasant side effects that are less severe now it seems.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:30 PM   #13
    desertgirl
    (female)

desertgirl HB User

Darkeyes...I don't mind you asking...it's an important thing to consider when taking accutane. I weigh 120 pounds. My derm told me that your body mass is more important to consider than weight though. She said that because I'm tall (5 foot 8) that I had a low body mass index and shouldn't increase my dose. She said that if I was shorter and weighed the same, then she could have increased the dose. She compared her body to mine...she's 120 pounds too, but only 5 foot 3, so I guess she has more body mass than I do-even at the same weight. Because she has more "mass" she could afford a bigger dose, if she was taking accutane. Does that make sense? I hope so.

What kind of side effects did you have? I'm sorry that it didn't give you lasting clear skin. My derm told me that sometimes people have to do two courses before they stay completely clear, so I'm hoping that it works out for you. I also hope none of the bad side effects come back...as if acne isn't bad enough, the "cure" makes people suffer too!

Old 03-30-2005, 06:14 AM   #14
    lulu'smom

lulu'smom HB User

I've been off for a few weeks now and doing pretty good myself. I've noticed I get a few spots/ flesh colored bumps which go away the next day. My derm said perhaps I should consider using Retin A for a while to unclog all my pores completely.
    But no more acne, my face looks quite clear (fingers crossed). Since you guys were talking about dosage and body mass/ weight. I'm 100 lbs but only 5 ft. I was on an alternating dosage of 40mg and 80mg every other day for 5 months.
    HowHorrible-I noticed my hair thinning out as well and I just started taking vitamin E pills. This REALLY helped. When I was young, I had typhoid, and all my hair fell out literally in clumps and I was put on vitamin E. My hair grew back double the thickness. Ok, now I'm older, my hair didn't respond as vehemently to the vitamin, but it definitely helped stop the hair falling which was caused by accutane.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:09 AM   #15
    haleytrosclair
    (female)

haleytrosclair HB User
    Talking Re: Post Accutane Update

It Is True Proactive Works When I Was I High School I Was Teased And Called Names Such As Zit Head, Pimple Face, Apple Jacks, Poke A Dots, And So On. My 1st Boy Friend Was In 9th Grade And We Lasted 6 Months Due To My Acne At My 18th B Day A Friend Gave Me Some Proactive Samples In Just About A Week Later U Could See A Difference I Am Now 20 Years Old And In College. While I Was I High School After My First Boyfriend I Had The Biggest Crush On This One Guy But He Hated Me But I Never Gave Up On Him He Called Me Names Said I Was A Dike Cuz I Had Short Spiky Hair Called Me A ***** Well My Senior Year I Called Him And Asked Him If He Would Go To Prom With Me He Said Yes And That Night He Asked Me To Be His Girlfriend And Till Today We Are Still Dating We Are About To Make A Year And Are Talking About Marriage So For Me Proactive Saved My Life And Till This Day I Still Use It And I Recommend It To All My Friends No Matter What The Price It Is I Will Still Buy It Its My Best Friend That Goes Every Where With Me.

Closed Thread