It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Adrenal Fatigue??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
    mdguy
    (male)

mdguy HB User
    Adrenal Fatigue??

Hi all. I'm new to this board, but not healthboards. I've been posting in the Lyme thread, I've been tested for Lyme, and it came back slightly positive for current Lyme infection. But my question is in regards to Adrenal Fatigue, not Lyme, as I think I've got a couple of different things going on.

I've done sone reading on Adrenal Fatigue, and it seems like there's a fit. Some of my symptoms include, fatigue, headaches (gotten worse over the past few years), dry/itchy skin and rashes (not attributable to Lyme), joint pain (probably attributable to Lyme), depression, anxiety, craving both salty and sweet foods, stiff neck, chronic sinusitis, numbness in all extremities (especially during/after excercise), and excess of energy in the evenings.

I had an appointmet with my GP last month, and the results were mostly normal, except for a couple of things. My triglycerides were very high, and my HDL was very low. My thyroind panel was fairly normal except for my Free T4. My free T4 was a little low but still within the 'normal' range. My GP put me on 10mcg of Cytomel for the 'low' free T4, but I really haven't noticed any change.

For the past few years, I've had a pretty crappy diet -- high in fat, carbs, and sugar (lots and lots of Dr. Pepper and Birch Beer). How related are thyroid disorders and adrenal fatigue? Can you have adrenal fatigue but still have normal thyroind function? Are there specific tests that can be done to rule out adrenal fatigue?

Sorry 'bout the book, but any help anyone could provide would be apprciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 05:13 AM   #2
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User
    Re: Adrenal Fatigue??

I have a feeling your thyroid levels aren't normal - regardless if they fall w/in the normal ranges. Most doctors don't know how to deal with thyroid problems, and only treat if you're out of the ranges. It's called subclinical hypothyroidism (normal labs, but symptomatic. If untreated it will lead to hypot)

Do you have the lab ranges, and your actual results from your thyroid test? I'd suggest either posting them here or over on the thyroid board. If your FT4 was low, your thyroid is not functioning correctly. Depending on how long you've been on the Cytomel, you probably need to have your thyroid tested again (once you're on meds, you should be tested every 6-8 weeks until you're at an optimal dose), and see what the Cytomel has done (or not done) for you. For males your FT3 and FT4 levels should be about the middle of the lab range. For females it needs to be in the upper 3rd.

There are specific tests to rule out Adrenal fatigue (cortisol and DHEA I think.. there might be others), and you should probably see if you can get them. And, the research I've done on Adrenal/thyroid shows the relationship between Adrenal and thyroid is pretty extensive. One thing I'll mention is that if you do infact have some sort of adrenal fatigue (most people do - it's more a matter of how extreme it is..) you can't even begin to treat your thyroid problem until your adrenal problem is under control.

You should also see if you can get tested for food intolerances - as the symptoms you have are symptoms of intolerances as well.

.. sorry this is so long, I'm in the process of figuring out if I have adrenal fatigue, and a thyroid problem. I'm just waiting to get back to my doctor to review my labs. I've found most GP's and endo's don't know what to do with me in my situation - they laugh at me and say I'm just depressed and it's all in my head. I've found the best luck seeing a naturopath/holistic doctor. They are more open to trying things, and are more up to date on new thyroid research.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
    mdguy
    (male)

mdguy HB User

Thanks for the feedback irys. I did post my thyroid results on the thyroid board, and someone mentioned I 'may' have a thyroid problem even though my free T3 and T4 levels were around the middle of the range. Hypothroidism does run in my family so it's definitely a possibility. Yay genetics.

Yeah, I've been doing quite a bit of research for the past few weeks trying to figure out what is going on with me. And the closest match, aside from the Lyme, is adrenal fatigue. I've got an appt with my GP next week, so maybe I'll metion this possibility to him.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

good luck!

Closed Thread