It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Concerns, Worries, Scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #31
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
    Re: Concerns, Worries, Scared!

One often does hear people refer to bananas as being fattening, but the point is, compared to what? According to my chart, a medium banana has 105 calories. A medium apple has 81. So if you want to get the calories down, choose a small banana or share a large one with the spouse. Bananas have more potassium than almost any other food commonly eaten in this country, so they are a good choice. By contrast, think of the calories in other desserts one might choose: a piece of unfrosted chocolate cake from a mix 250 calories, a piece of homemade apple pie 282 calories, and how about one cup of French vanilla soft serve ice cream at 377 calories. Besides that, the fruits have little or no fat, whereas the other choices have much, and much refined sugar, as well.

The Healthy Choice TV dinners are far better than most TV dinners for fat, cholesterol, and sodium content. I usually keep some in my freezer for busy days or days I just don't feel like spending much time in food preparation. Most of them don't provide as large a fruit or vegetable serving as one should have for a balanced diet, though, so you might want to add a salad to the meal.

If you haven't been eating healthy previously, all the changes might seem a bit overwhelming at first. Don't panic. It will get easier. Don't worry if you backslide quite often at first. When one is in a hurry, one tends to prepare the things you are most familiar with. You'll gradually find a number of low-fat, low-sugar dishes you really enjoy and will want to repeat often, and will start thinking of them instead. I'd really concentrate at first on finding easy-to-prepare menus which are healthy. That way you'd have fewer excuses to backslide.

You can do it. Think of it as a new adventure in eating, like going to an exotic restaurant!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 05:38 PM   #32
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Howdy, Uff! I'm learning so much from you guys! I need to start printing off this info for future reference! It's so good to know about the bananas and other stuff, and particularly, the Healthy Choice TV din-dins.
    I think the only hard part will be not eating stuff like chips, dips, snack stuff like that. I did get some pecans the other day, as I'd heard they aren't too bad.

Thanks for the encouragement and info! I'm bound to survive! See ya' later~

Old 03-31-2005, 05:42 PM   #33
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I told ya, your going to be half nuts before figuring this all out...

Yes, there are simple carbs, which are BAD, and complex, which are good. The bad are usually white bread, potatoes, pasta, especially if it is cooked too long, and the list goes on and on. As far as veggies, the darker the color, the better they are, and most fruits are good, just don't overdo like anything else. I never knew about the carb thing either, so when hubby first needed to lay off too many meats, I went PASTA nuts. The dr. told me at the next visit I was doing overkill, so he gave me a small list and I took it from there, plus all the reading I did on this board sure helped.

Your tv "chicken" dinner sounds like it sucked, but hey, we all have those days. As far as the pies, like I said, a small piece isn't going to kill ya, but ONLY a small piece, and not every nite. Just try to get some good fish and even some good lean meats into your system, as U need protein, just keep the portions low. Stay away from lunch meats and hot dogs..NOT good!! If ya like pasta, they make dark pasta, and they also have brown rice, which is much better then white rice. Keep in mind, almost everything can be eaten, so long as it is in moderation. Ok, bet I have confused the heck out of ya by now huh?

Have a good one, and chat with ya later....

Old 04-01-2005, 08:34 AM   #34
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Hello, JJ-
    Well, I'm pretty digusted this a.m. I was telling Barb about what is good to eat, and she said Well, I might as well just stop cooking!" That sure felt nice to hear!
    I will try to cut down on bad stuff, but I can't just starve to death on nuts and berries.

I'm kinda down so will go for now.

later...

Old 04-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #35
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Awww, come on Tony don't get disgusted. I told U at first it is hard to adjust, but it will work out. Barb doesn't need to stop cooking, although I hate to cook, so that thought I like!!

U can still have some meats, just have to bake, broil or grill them, and make sure ya add a salad and some veggies with it, and U can do a small portion of rice or pasta, just keep it SMALL portions. Once your body starts getting use to alot of veggies and fruits, your craving for sweets etc. will calm down..TRUST ME!!

I still have eggs, peanut butter, pasta etc., but small portions, and always include veggies and fruits with my dinner. Like I told U, I refuse to give up on the things I like, just have to make sure I cut way down on them, and uped the good stuff. Now get out of that mood and tell yourself U CAN do it. My hubby was a terrible luncheon meat eater, but he cut way back on that stuff and very seldom buys any, but yes, he does buy it once in awhile. Like I said, it isn't a death pnealty, just a new way of eating healthy.

Tell Barb this is also good for her, whether she has high numbers or not. If she doesn't it will probably avoid her from getting bad numbers too. Now go take a walk around the block and look on the bright side of it all. If ya cheat a lil, so what, U aren't going to die from a lil cheating. CYL....

Old 04-01-2005, 08:59 AM   #36
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Well, ya' cheered me up, Pilgrim! (John Wayne impersonation for free!) Ya' know, we do have a Georgie Forman grill! I bet that would do a lot of good stuff, JJ! I apologize for the downer, but now I'm apologizing for being a bit (bunch!) nosey. How are your numbers doing now, JJ, and were they bad at first? I didn't press for exact numbers I'm kinda getting an idea of how bad/good off I am I guess. Barb does cook a lot of veggies such as beans, you name it. I think what may have pushed me up into the red zone was I had been having those eskimo pie treats twice a day, and we had been eating eggs and sausage maybe once or twice a week. That sausage is a big bad one! I'm hoping cutting out or down on the bad stuff will lower the numbers. I also still plan on taking the flax oil capsule and get some of the garlic pills. Some of this is BOUND to help! Thanks for the suggestions again--I'm taking notes!

Later, gator!

Old 04-01-2005, 09:30 AM   #37
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey, I like tha John Wayne thing,darn cute.

Well seeing U have the grill, put it to good use. I can't wait till the weather gets better here so I can set our grill up on the deck, everything seems to taste so good when it is grilled outdoors. Yummmmm

As far as my numbers, they were doing fairly good till my last test, have NO idea what went screwy there. For the last 2 years my TC has been running about 224-227...LDL 140-143- HDL 54-62 and Trigs about 134-137. In Feb. my TC was still about 227-LDL 143 but my HDL slid down in the 30's and trigs up to about 183..NOT good. Can't remember the exact numbers, but that was the range. Hubby has always had low TC...202-212 but his HDL is always low 29-32 and Trigs in the 4-500 range. With Trigs that high U can't calculate an LDL. Last test his TC was still low and his HDL went up to 38 and Trigs were below 300, and they got an LDL count, so for him, that was a good improvement, but still needs alot of work.

As far as the sauceage, haveing a small portion maybe every 2 weeks is ok, and the eskimo pies need to be cut back ALOT!! Way too much sugar in those things. Like I said, get to the store and load up on the veggies and fruits, even the frozen stuff is good, but stay away from canned stuff, too much junk in those. When ya get a lil case of the munchies maybe at night, make a bowl of Cheerios or eat a piece of fruit, even munching on some nuts is ok, just don't overdo as they have fat in them.

No need to aplogize, we are all in the same boat, and yes, some days seem to suck, but tomorrow is another day, so if ya fall off the wagon, just make the next day better....

I see some sun trying to come out, so I had best scoot and get a few things done, as it is going to start raining tonight thru sunday...OH JOY!!! Have a good one, and will TTYL....

Definitely do the Flax and garlic, and don't expect great results over nite, it will take some time, so hang in there!! Just keep telling yourself:

I CAN DO THIS!!.....

Old 04-01-2005, 10:54 AM   #38
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Howdy, JJ! Bless your heart, they did kinda spike on ya'! The Dr. told me it was probably a hereditary thing with me. Sometimes, I think we're born with the numbers we get! The doc did tell me to cut back to two eskimos a week. But guess whattie? I had an apple for dessert today! It wasn't an eskimo, but it wasn't bad either! I thougth about sprinkling some kind of safe, healthy artificial sweetener on it to help--don't have that, but that would be a flavor-booster too. I took my flax oil pill, but due to the stomach problems at night, I will have to limit that to 1000mg., the one pill. It said take two, but maybe that will do more good than none at all.

Well, gonna scat for now. Yakkin' at ya' later.

Last edited by Anxiety Man; 04-01-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:51 AM   #39
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJ
    Like I said, get to the store and load up on the veggies and fruits, even the frozen stuff is good, but stay away from canned stuff, too much junk in those.
    While I prefer fresh fruits and vegetables and usually use them, there are times one just doesn't want to take the time to prepare them or just wants something a little different. I always keep some canned veggies and fruit on hand, and use them frequently for certain dishes. Most canned vegetables are high in sodium, as they use too much salt for anyone who has concerns about blood pressure. But a number of vegetables are also available canned without salt - corn, tomatoes, green beans among them. Most fruit is canned with too much sugar, but one can buy pineapple, pears and peaches canned in fruit juice. Maybe others as well. They are not as readily available as the products canned with salt or sugar and at least around here, they don't go on sale as often. So when they do go on sale, I usually buy quite a few, like I did last week.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:44 PM   #40
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff, sometimes I will buy canned fruit, but I make sure it says LITE on the can. Your right about the salt thing, that is why I usually buy frozen most of the time. Only time I buy canned veggies is if I am making stew, then I add a can of green cut beans, but I drain the juice off. Like ya said, we have to do the best we can, and sometimes it isn't as easy as one thinks....

Tony, yes, my numbers went a bit wacky this last time. Only thing I can think of was we were eating quite a few Subway sandwiches due to the fact I wasn't feeling good, so hubby would bring one home as a quicky to eat. Although they are good, that is alot of bread, and I am not in the habit of eating much bread at all, especially non whole wheat.

I'll just have to see how the numbers go this time, and like U, they told me my numbers were due to heredity also. Most people have cholesterol problems due to that, but I still think with proper diet and exercise, it can bring the numbers down. Maybe not as good as a statin, but I would rather have slightly elevated numbers then take a statin. I took Lipitor years ago, and my TC went from 266 to 162 in 3 weeks, but man, did I ever get sick. They tried me on Baycol and that was even worse, so in the pail they went, and I now refuse to take them..period. They had hubby on Lipitor for 6 yrs. and his TC was very low, but it still did nothing for his Trigs. or his HDL. The dr. finally shoved him on 80 mgs. and he got so sick it was pathedic, so I called his cardio man and he told me to stop them, it was way too much, plus Lipitor did lil for Trigs. After trying many other things and having lousy reactions, he finally decided enough too. Now all we can do is try as many natural things as possible and hope for the best.

I just came back from Wallyworld, and the garlic is called Nature's Way and comes in a green and lite yellow box. Oh well, at least I had the Nature name right.

Great U had the apple, but try to stay away from artifical sweetners, like anything, they too have hidden stuff in it. Get your taste buds to try and get use to natural stuff. I use to use 2 tsps. of sugar in my coffee for years, then after hubby got diabetes, I stopped using sugar all together, as did he. It took some getting use to, but I haven't had sugar in anything for years, unless it happens to be in something I buy, but for that small amount, I ain't going to worry about it.

As far as the Flax, take what agrees with you, like U said, it is better then nothing. Oh well, time to get some supper ready, so hope ya have a good evening, and will CYL....

Old 04-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #41
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Hi, guys-- Well, we just got the kind of TV dinner we could stomach, regular, so I may have some guilt tonight. I got some Keebler Club Crackers in the low fat version. They taste good, but if they're baddies, oh well... I've ran all evening with Barb, going places, and am starving out! But, as ya'll say, you get used to it. I kept having visions of chili dogs, hamburgers, malts, you know, the usual "forbidden fruits".

Those Subs are hyped as being healthy, but all that bread, as you say, and it not wheat! I hear that!

We'll look for the Nature's Way. I'll definitely avoid the fake sweeteners.

Well, kinda pooped, so will fade for now. Oh, Barb did get me some "monkey food" (bananas) so I may be swinging from the vines soon!

We'll see ya'll later.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:02 PM   #42
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wipe those "visions" right out of your head, those are NO-NO's!!

Can't comment on the dinners, as I am clueless about any of them. Glad Barb got ya some "monkey food", but don't eat to many, they do have fat in them.

Hope U don't have any hanging lights in your house, the neighbors will be in for a show from U tonight.

Yup, the sub thing I am very skeptical about, as I am just not into bread, and even though I eat only half, that is alot for me. Oh well, life goes on.

Don't forget to also pick yourself up some good vitamins, a B-C complex is good, but if U get a multi, then buy a bottle of just C, 500 mgs. is good, and they are quite inexpensive, but good for ya.

Have fun "Tarzan", and go relax, your brain is probably on overload trying to take all this new stuff in. Spend some quality time with Barb, as I bet she is stressed out too. CYL....

Old 04-01-2005, 05:06 PM   #43
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Howdy! Well, that TV din-din had some carbohydrates and other bad stuff, but I feel like I had a meal! I ate just half the "monkey bait"--was full from the dinner. The dinner had fish in it some green beans which were tough as rubber (All TV dinners, the green beans seem that way!) and some macaroni. Barb got a chicken to bake for the weekend and is gonna put some lemon on it, so I'll be more in the ball park with that.

I have some Centrum Silver and need to start back on them! I don't know why it's so easy to get out of the habit of taking vitamins. I think I got side tracked when I had that bad flu or whatever it was in Feb, as I was taking other pills.

Well, I'm gonna go stand in the corner for that bad TV din-din, but will try to eat better stuff the weekend! Actually, will be sitting with Barb and the tube!

Yakkin' later

Old 04-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #44
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hmmm, rubbery beans huh, sounds GREAT...NOT!!

Oh well, better start making a list of the good things to buy and take it to the store next time.

I am full as all get out myself, as I made stuffed peppers, with a 1/2 cup of egg noodles and then had some of my left over fruit from last nite. I cut up the top of the peppers so I can munch on them later if I happen to get the munchies. Now I won't have any meat till sunday, which will probably be a small pork roast. The baked chicken with lemon sounds good, so enjoy.

My girlfriend just emailed me, she is soooo disgusted. She takes 40 mgs. of Lipitor, has for years, went for her bloodwork today, and her numbers still stink. Now her dr. is switching her to Vytorin. Only bad thing is, she won't watch what she eats, as she figures the statins will take care of it, so no matter how much I tell her to try and eat right, she is stubborn. Oh well, hopefully her new meds will help her, but she has to get on a much better diet, as she eats alot of fried stuff and pizza.

Time to hit the shower and then watch some tv, been a busy day, and this ole lady is kind of tired. You and Barb have a good nite, and will CYL.....

Old 04-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #45
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJ
    . . . Glad Barb got ya some "monkey food", but don't eat to many, they do have fat in them.
    I agree with most of what you say, JJ, but will have to disagree with you on that one. It is a common misconception, though. Most fruit, including bananas, are very low in fat. An avocado is about the only one I can think of that has a high amount of fat. (Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find avocados listed in my reference of food values.)

Here is a list of fat content in grams for several fruits and, for reference, selected other foods people might eat, according to the food value book I have on hand. (An old one - copyright 1985)

1 medium banana 0.6
    1 medium apple 0.5
    1 cup blueberries 0.6
    1 cup cantaloupe 0.4
    1 medium raw pear 0.7

1 piece brownie from mix 5.0
    1 Tbsp. peanut butter 7.2
    1 oz. Pringles potato chips 12.9
    3 oz. roasted chicken without skin 7.4
    3 oz. pork tenderloin, lean only, roasted 12.1
    Burger King hamburger 13.0

To get a picture of how this all fits into a diet, a person on a 2000 calorie per day diet would be allowed approximately 67 grams of fat total per day, according to the American Heart Association recommendation of no more than 30% of total calories from fat. (Each gram of fat supplies 9 calories.)

If a human monkey needed 2000 calories a day, he could eat 19 bananas to provide his calorie needs and would still have only eaten 11.4 grams of fat, less than one-fifth his allowance. (Note: this is not a recommendation to do so!)

Closed Thread