It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• My Accutane Journal & Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User
    My Accutane Journal & Questions

I am on day 8 of accutane, 40 mg a day. Today my skin started pealing(it's dry in spots) a little bit and my lips a little chapped but the worst problem is my burning eyes. I work on the computer all day and staring at that screen is killing me. I have to wear my sunglasses at work. I put visine in but it doesn't make much of a difference. What else should I try? any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User
    Re: My Accutane Journal & Questions

Hey there, glad to hear your progress I will start my treatment on Friday. If you wear contacts I would say it is time to go back to glasses! Also you might try a glare gaurd for your computer, it might help good luck!

Old 03-29-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User

I don't wear contact lenses, but I will get one of those glare gaurds.
    Thanks for the advice

Old 03-30-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
    neumann

neumann HB User

i start my accutane on saturday april 2nd...im takin 80 mg a day and im a lil scared and nervous but hopefully it will clear my skin....what products are good for dry skin, dry lips, and i wear contacts so dry eyes?

good luck with ur progress

Old 03-30-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
    FranktheTank
    (male)

FranktheTank HB User

wow starting out at 80 mg/day is really high. I started out on 20/mg a day 2 months ago. My friend started out at 60/mg a day which is still a lot and his break out was soo horrible. My derm told me that starting out low and slowly inching up the dosage every couple of weeks can prevent horrible breakouts. Prepare for the worst.

Old 03-31-2005, 05:49 AM   #6
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User

I am on 40mg a day(on my 10th day) then my Derm said that next visit she is putting me on 80mg a day. My acne is mild-moderate. I have heard of people though who's acne has come back after accutane and they were on lower doses the whole time so I am going to let my derm put me on 80mg a day.....

Old 03-31-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
    firestarter
    (male)

firestarter HB User

Carebear, you say mild-moderate, but I thought derms only put ppl on accutane it they're moderate to severe? How many/what type would get a day?

Old 03-31-2005, 05:45 PM   #8
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User

the reason my derm put me on it is because everything else failed. I would probably have at least 5-6 cysts and 6-7 small bumps on my face at one time along with black heads of course. sometimes it was worse than that though. My problem though is picking, the picking I did made it so much worse than it was......My derm told me it's a big no, no to pick your face while on accutane because the scabs get huge and it takes longer to heal. So I have to wear my husbands fingerless snowboarding gloves from the time I get home from work until I go to bed in order to avoid picking...I know that's bad.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:00 PM   #9
    SuzyB0731
    (female)

SuzyB0731 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carebear26
    the reason my derm put me on it is because everything else failed. I would probably have at least 5-6 cysts and 6-7 small bumps on my face at one time along with black heads of course. sometimes it was worse than that though. My problem though is picking, the picking I did made it so much worse than it was......My derm told me it's a big no, no to pick your face while on accutane because the scabs get huge and it takes longer to heal. So I have to wear my husbands fingerless snowboarding gloves from the time I get home from work until I go to bed in order to avoid picking...I know that's bad.
    haha that is too funny! i totally feel ya though b/c i am soo bad at picking too adn i just started accutane so im gonna have to stop this habit real quick. im on day 16 right now and the chapped lips are getting much worse but my skin isn't that dry, only in certain spots and im having much more "flaking off" of my skin than actual dryness if that makes sense. ya, so far my skin has broken out also in those cystic zits *yuck!* and it is so hard not to pick those b/c those are the best kind! hahahhaa
    i also am on 40mg a day adn have mild-moderate acne (more close to the moderate end). for those who have been on accutane for much longer (like a few months or done w/ it already) how long did it take for your face to noticeably get real clear?

Old 03-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User
    Talking Re: My Accutane Journal & Questions

SuzyB0731-

haha I am so glad you can relate. I am on day 11. Keep me posted with your
    progress. It makes me feel better to know someone is going through what I am...Good Luck!!

Old 03-31-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
    SuzyB0731
    (female)

SuzyB0731 HB User

ok will do! damn i just caved in ... i just couldnt resist!! hey but im doin somewhat better, im not using my nails anymore!! haha eewww gross <-- to myself haha

Old 03-31-2005, 07:34 PM   #12
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User

haha yeah when I first got home I was picking but I am doing okay tonight I didn't put the gloves on...lol

Old 04-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #13
    firestarter
    (male)

firestarter HB User

ok, maybe i'm confused about what cysts are.... I thought they're ones that get really red and really big. Would you say the red spot is the size of a dime? a quarter? or bigger? Also how long do they last (alive i mean, not just a leftover red mark) thanks!!

Old 04-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #14
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User

less than dime size, I usually don't get them that big..they are really red though. But I stick a needle in them and drain them so they heal faster. but sometimes it leaves a red mark that takes about 14 days or more to completley go away. {REMOVED}

Last edited by moderator2; 04-01-2005 at 05:49 PM. Reason: PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW THE POSTING RULES - NO EMAILS, NO PICTURES

Old 04-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #15
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User

Hi Everyone! I am on day 12 of accutane. I am pretty good. I think I am starting my initial breakout though, But I don't care, I say Bring it on! SO I can get it over with my eyes were pretty dry this week but felt better yesterday and today. I have chapped lips, and my skin is a little dry. I am using Creme De La Mer Moisturizer and it works so great! I love it. It is pretty expensive though, $110 per ounce but it is really worth it. I use vaseline and Burt's bees wax lip balm on my lips. Also I use Purpose Moisturizer (johnson & johnson) on the rest of my body and that is working good as well. My skin is itchy and so is my scalp so I leave my conditioner on my hair a little longer in the morning which seems to help. I noticed the pimples I am getting are pretty big cysts and hurt like hell but if I leave them alone the swelling goes down a little everyday. I do notice though that I can't work out as hard as I normally do at the gym because I start feeling Nauseous, so I am going to do 45 minutes everyday instead of 1 1/2 hours every other day. other than that no major complaints.....feel free to ask any questions

Closed Thread