It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

• fatigue and swollen lymph nodes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2002, 02:00 AM   #1
    melindaL

melindaL HB User
    Unhappy fatigue and swollen lymph nodes

I am new here; posted my symptoms on another board here so here we go again to see if anyone has any ideas for me.
    For the last 6-7 weeks, I have had a swelling above my collarbone and been very tired. I just have no energy some days; by the time I go to work all day I am ready for a 2 hr. nap. On weekends, I sleep 10-14 hours at a time. My neck also aches most of the time. If I do anything physical it aches more and my neck swells more. I have had a CBC (all good)an MRI on my neck and it shows no tumor and I had a TSH and FreeT4 thyroid test and they are in the normal range. My doctor said take a multivimin and come back in a month if no better. I am 46; I had a mammogram in April and it is also fine, so they have no idea what is wrong. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2002, 01:32 PM   #2
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User
    I can only suggest that it may be mono, which is a virus and can last months. You seem to have all the symptoms. Did the doctor check for this in your CBC? I hope you get well soon. Good luck

Old 07-19-2002, 07:20 AM   #3
    my little pug

my little pug HB User
    Cool

Malinda, I'm interested in knowing if you found your trouble. I'm 54 and down here in West Virginia, felt bad for 3 1/2 months before my appetite got so low that my blood sugar was 43 one morning and I could hardly stand up. Husband took me to the emergency room and some young doctor had enough smarts to check me for mono. It was positive. But I still don't feel any better. Swollen glands in neck, so tired I can hardly go, can't sleep for aching and hot (more like burning up spells), then chills, ABSOLUTELY NO ENERGY, major depression, heart fluttering, and a sense of a scared feeling right in the middle of my chest. I'm pretty sure my spleen is swollen, too, have pain there. We have a big farm and I have so much to do (a garden ready to be harvested) two dogs, a husband. I can't believe this. Keep thinking I will wake up and it will be a bad dream! Doctor took a throat culture for strep that should come back today. Sure wish someone could do something. Have you read the posts about the grape leaf supplement? I'm going to check into that. At this point, I'm open to any suggestions! Donna

Old 07-30-2002, 08:21 AM   #4
    scbagrrrl
    Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
    Angry

Malinda -
    Have someone do some jumping up and down for you in front of your doctor if you don't have the energy to do it yourself. Sometimes they just don't get it. Explain to him that this is making you UNABLE TO FUNCTION and you found his suggestion of a multi-vitamin insulting. (And I'd be out looking for a new doctor too). Have him check your ANA's - for any autoimmune disorders as well as for Mono. Call back for another appt - ask if you can see one of your doctor's partners. Remember, you're PAYING for his care - your life and well-being is too darn important to wait a month!

Old 08-05-2002, 10:11 PM   #5
    oldbetsy16

oldbetsy16 HB User
    Wink

I got mono when I was in college. No one tested me for it until, after repeated nights of delerium and fevers of 104, I was sent home (from FLA to CT) with strep and mono. Symptoms like exhaustion (sorry guys) lasted a good solid year after I was diagnosed. Then, unbelievably, I was diagnosed with it AGAIN 15 years later, this time with Scarlett fever! No one gets scarlet fever, and I thought mono was one of those things you only get once in a lifetime. Also, a lot of people I know who had mono got hepatitis at the same time...something about how your immune system is low and succeptable to other diseases. SO...if you have symptoms that don't seem to coincide, make sure your doctor knows about them and follows through with those too. I found out you CANNOT find mono with regular check up blood work. You must have the specific test for it in order to diagnose it. Good luck and bed rest to you all!

Old 12-20-2002, 03:42 PM   #6
    Lauren_summer

Lightbulb

I am 17 and I have had mono 4 times in my life. Trust me, I know what I am talking about. It definatly sounds like you've got it. Have your doctor run a blood test to see if you have mono or the epstein bar virus. Mono sometimes causes your lymph nodes to be swollen and you're tired and want to sleep all the time. My legs even hurt and I remember one day when I couldn't even walk for about 15 minutes after I got up! Check it out!

Old 12-27-2002, 12:55 PM   #7
    Anonymity
    Veteran

Anonymity HB User
    A lot of other people have mentioned mono, which is a reasonable possibility, but I would like to draw your attention to several other possibilities. I would suggest that you do a online search for information on lyme disease, cat scratch disease, and fibromyalgia. Compare your systems and map out what questions you need to ask your doctor (and what tests you may need to request).

Personally, I had the same symptoms as you (among others) a few years ago. I took all the tests you mentioned and many, many more. In desperation, my doctor biopsied one of my swollen lymph nodes (in my neck). They found nothing except a possible indication of cat scratch disease. Finally, a couple of years later, my symptoms were so debilitating that I was finally sent to a neurologist and a rheumatologist. Four years after the initial lymph node swelling (I had fatigue and other symptoms for at least twelve years) and several thousand dollars in medical bills later, I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.

I tell you this not to scare you but to convince you that you must take charge of your health and insist on being fairly treated. My (former) elderly family doctor still doesn't believe that fibromyalgia exists. I was forced to leave his care and move on to a doctor who could find the truth. You can do this. Be strong, and don't be afraid to ask your loved ones for help and support.

Good luck. Let us know how things go.

[This message has been edited by Anonymity (edited 12-27-2002).]

Closed Thread