It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Long history of Symptoms and yet no resolution? Please help...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2005, 07:58 AM   #1
    playdrv4me
    Inactive

playdrv4me HB User
    Long history of Symptoms and yet no resolution? Please help...

Hello All, Sorry for the length of this post...

I actually may have posted in this board sometime ago so I apologize if I did. For along time I was "chasing" HIV I suppose you could say, but have pretty much exhonerated myself of that with 8 months worth of separate tests. At this point I am pretty much left with either Pancreatitis/Pancreatic Cancer or Leukemia for these kinds of symptoms... And I have been feverishly reading up on Leukemia for the past two months.

Since two sexual contacts in February of 2004 I have been experiencing the following, and I will list my greatest botherers and issues of concern first:

-All initially started with enlarged lymph nodes in my neck that lasted for a month, and then went away when treated with an Antibiotic (but they could have just gone away on their own ya know). Around the time I started the antibiotic or perhaps even just before it, I also developed...

-Butterfly like rash on my cheeks and nose which is occasionally infrequently itchy.

-FLOATERS GALORE in my eyes that have grown to be more since Day1 I noticed them, and the vision in my right eye has been decreasing ever since (I read leukemia cells can infiltrate the eye, as well as Primary CNS Lymphoma).

-Fever and chills at different intervals since the initial Lymph node problem. Also a feeling of heat "rushing" into my head sometimes.

-Abdominal pain since about may of 2004 which started in the center below my ribs and gradually moved to the left just under my ribcage. It is now constant and I can also feel it in my back if I breathe in hard or lying down. I believe this to POSSIBLY be my Pancreas as I am overweight (5'9" 230-240lb). Along with pale/fatty stools on an almost daily basis which are associated with the pancreatic disorders.

-What I believe to be paling of my skin, because I can see dark circles under my eyes all the time. But I seem to be the only one who notices this.

-I now see two microscopic red dots on my left arm that look like petechiae.

-Occasional headaches at the right back of my head.

-And a shmorgesborg of other symptoms in between, everything from dry mouth for weeks at the beginning, to loss of appetite at the beginning for about a week and more.

So I honestly believe I am just about worse off than anyone else Ive ever read about and YET? No diagnosis...

-Original doctor in Kansas took blood tests for all STDs at 4 weeks. All negative, WBC came back elevated, but she blamed this on an infection I also had at the time.

-Went back at probably 8 weeks and had another range of tests, nothing extraordinary.

-Moved to Texas, started seeing new doctor recommended to me by an oncologists secretary I tried to go to first. He ran his own set of blood tests and the last ones I remember were in August 04. Blood counts not only normal, but everything was 100 PERCENT within range, SOLID. He literally told me he would "kick my ***" if I came back in complaining more.

-When I returned again, he agreed to send me in for an Abdominal CT Scan with IV Contrast. Of course... The CT Scan came back absolutely normal with nothing, no enlarged spleen, no pancreas issues, nothing outside of mild diverticulosis possible diverticulitis. This was August 04 as well.

-I got a bad foodborne illness in February and went back for an emergency session with another one of the doctors in the same office, explaining to him my then similar concern of the pancreas issues. He ran another blood test on me and additionally checked cholesterol levels and serum lypase... Again... everything normal.

-Almost forgot! When I noticed the eye symptoms... went to the mall for an optOMETRIST to look at my eyes. Got the whole round... dilated pupils etc. 20/20 vision, slight "astygmatism" in the right eye. Fine, not satisfied I found myself a real genuine opthalmologist... Same conclusion and the floaters are "normal" despite their sudden appearance and how many of them are there according to him. I saw this same guy twice in the time I was in TX.

I am at my wits end, both physically and emotionally. It is increasingly difficult to continue working with both the emotional fear that I have a major illness, and the fatigue and pains in my body. I have gotten a tremendous amount of reassurance from the wonderful people on the pancreatitis group I visit that all of my fatigue and other symptoms could be due to Pancreatitis alone.

Im so frustrated, im ready to go in and just tell the next doctor "Look, I want another Abdomen CT Scan for my pancreas, an MRI for my head, and a Bone Marrow Biopsy, painful as that may be".

What do you guys think? Im totally screwed right?

Ian.

Last edited by playdrv4me; 04-04-2005 at 09:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
    playdrv4me
    Inactive

playdrv4me HB User
    Re: Long history of Symptoms and yet no resolution? Please help...

I guess I should add one thing that WAS off in my last blood test was my Blood Sugar was at 111, and it said "Fasting reference interval". Whatever that means.

A little history. Cancer does not run in our family, either side. Heart disease and little things like IBS do. I am 22 years of age and weigh between 230-and 240lb (even that has varied in the past year). I am also part hispanic, part white. I do admittedly have poor eating habits, junk food diet as well. My fluid intake consists mostly of soda, very little water at all if any. This has been for about the past 10 years of my life.

Last edited by playdrv4me; 04-04-2005 at 08:08 AM.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
    washee

washee HB User

What about Gallbladder problems or Lupus, some of the symptoms you listed corrolate with those two illnesses.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
    playdrv4me
    Inactive

playdrv4me HB User

Ive thought about those, but it just seems like I have way to many symptoms in my opinion. Like its gotta be something systemic.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
    sunnygirl272
    (female)

sunnygirl272 HB User

Sounds Lupus-y to me.
    Karlee, Fallon, Remy, my foster dogs

Old 04-05-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
    playdrv4me
    Inactive

playdrv4me HB User

That has been suggested to me before. The doctors themselves havent suggested it but the problem with that is that my blood cell counts are normal, with the WBC either normal or slightly elevated at times of supposed infection.

I wonder at this point if I did have leukemia if it would be the Acute type or the Chronic type?

Last edited by playdrv4me; 04-05-2005 at 05:08 PM.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:33 AM   #7
    jadey7
    (female)

jadey7 HB User
    Talking Re: Long history of Symptoms and yet no resolution? Please help...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by playdrv4me
    Hello All, Sorry for the length of this post...

I actually may have posted in this board sometime ago so I apologize if I did. For along time I was "chasing" HIV I suppose you could say, but have pretty much exhonerated myself of that with 8 months worth of separate tests. At this point I am pretty much left with either Pancreatitis/Pancreatic Cancer or Leukemia for these kinds of symptoms... And I have been feverishly reading up on Leukemia for the past two months.

Since two sexual contacts in February of 2004 I have been experiencing the following, and I will list my greatest botherers and issues of concern first:

-All initially started with enlarged lymph nodes in my neck that lasted for a month, and then went away when treated with an Antibiotic (but they could have just gone away on their own ya know). Around the time I started the antibiotic or perhaps even just before it, I also developed...

-Butterfly like rash on my cheeks and nose which is occasionally infrequently itchy.

-FLOATERS GALORE in my eyes that have grown to be more since Day1 I noticed them, and the vision in my right eye has been decreasing ever since (I read leukemia cells can infiltrate the eye, as well as Primary CNS Lymphoma).

-Fever and chills at different intervals since the initial Lymph node problem. Also a feeling of heat "rushing" into my head sometimes.

-Abdominal pain since about may of 2004 which started in the center below my ribs and gradually moved to the left just under my ribcage. It is now constant and I can also feel it in my back if I breathe in hard or lying down. I believe this to POSSIBLY be my Pancreas as I am overweight (5'9" 230-240lb). Along with pale/fatty stools on an almost daily basis which are associated with the pancreatic disorders.

-What I believe to be paling of my skin, because I can see dark circles under my eyes all the time. But I seem to be the only one who notices this.

-I now see two microscopic red dots on my left arm that look like petechiae.

-Occasional headaches at the right back of my head.

-And a shmorgesborg of other symptoms in between, everything from dry mouth for weeks at the beginning, to loss of appetite at the beginning for about a week and more.

So I honestly believe I am just about worse off than anyone else Ive ever read about and YET? No diagnosis...

-Original doctor in Kansas took blood tests for all STDs at 4 weeks. All negative, WBC came back elevated, but she blamed this on an infection I also had at the time.

-Went back at probably 8 weeks and had another range of tests, nothing extraordinary.

-Moved to Texas, started seeing new doctor recommended to me by an oncologists secretary I tried to go to first. He ran his own set of blood tests and the last ones I remember were in August 04. Blood counts not only normal, but everything was 100 PERCENT within range, SOLID. He literally told me he would "kick my ***" if I came back in complaining more.

-When I returned again, he agreed to send me in for an Abdominal CT Scan with IV Contrast. Of course... The CT Scan came back absolutely normal with nothing, no enlarged spleen, no pancreas issues, nothing outside of mild diverticulosis possible diverticulitis. This was August 04 as well.

-I got a bad foodborne illness in February and went back for an emergency session with another one of the doctors in the same office, explaining to him my then similar concern of the pancreas issues. He ran another blood test on me and additionally checked cholesterol levels and serum lypase... Again... everything normal.

-Almost forgot! When I noticed the eye symptoms... went to the mall for an optOMETRIST to look at my eyes. Got the whole round... dilated pupils etc. 20/20 vision, slight "astygmatism" in the right eye. Fine, not satisfied I found myself a real genuine opthalmologist... Same conclusion and the floaters are "normal" despite their sudden appearance and how many of them are there according to him. I saw this same guy twice in the time I was in TX.

I am at my wits end, both physically and emotionally. It is increasingly difficult to continue working with both the emotional fear that I have a major illness, and the fatigue and pains in my body. I have gotten a tremendous amount of reassurance from the wonderful people on the pancreatitis group I visit that all of my fatigue and other symptoms could be due to Pancreatitis alone.

Im so frustrated, im ready to go in and just tell the next doctor "Look, I want another Abdomen CT Scan for my pancreas, an MRI for my head, and a Bone Marrow Biopsy, painful as that may be".

What do you guys think? Im totally screwed right?

Ian.
    you're not screwed at all, you're bound to worry if you have all these symptoms and yet no diagnosis. i think that you are right to want other examinations. these problems are obviously not normal otherwise you wouldnt be worrying about them. i am writing this because i have recently had blood tests and an MRI scan. the results of the blood tests where also slightly elevated wbc and an aso titre count or 546 iu/ml four times the average range i am told. the scan results have not yet come back so i am also worried, although i am sure everything is fine as i am sure you will be. dont worry too much it will only make you feel worse

Last edited by jadey7; 04-06-2005 at 06:35 AM.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
    playdrv4me
    Inactive

playdrv4me HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jadey7
    you're not screwed at all, you're bound to worry if you have all these symptoms and yet no diagnosis. i think that you are right to want other examinations. these problems are obviously not normal otherwise you wouldnt be worrying about them. i am writing this because i have recently had blood tests and an MRI scan. the results of the blood tests where also slightly elevated wbc and an aso titre count or 546 iu/ml four times the average range i am told. the scan results have not yet come back so i am also worried, although i am sure everything is fine as i am sure you will be. dont worry too much it will only make you feel worse
    Thanks for the reassuring words,

I suppose the two things that concern me the most are the Floaters in my eyes and slight loss of vision in my right eye, especially when its dark, and the fact that I have dark circles under my eyes all the time. I dont know what to make of that.

And for everyones evaluation... here are my results from August...

CBC (INCLUDES DIFF/PLT)
    WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT....9.9....NORMAL 3.8-10.8
    RED BLOOD CELL COUNT....5.43......NORMAL 4.20-5.80
    HEMOGLOBIN...................15.9......N ORMAL 13.2-17.1
    HEMATOCRIT...................48.5......N ORMAL 38.5-50.0
    MCV...............................89.3.. ....NORMAL 80.0-100
    MCH...............................29.3.. ....NORMAL 27.0-33.0
    MCHC..............................32.8.. ....NORMAL 32.0-36.0
    RDW...............................13.3.. .....NORMAL 11-13.0
    PLATELET COUNT..............293.......NORMAL 140-400
    ABSOLUTE NEUTROPHILS.....6841.....NORMAL 1500-7800
    ABSOLUTE LYMPHOCYTES....2277.....NORMAL 850-3900
    ABSOLUTE MONOCYTES.......703.......NORMAL 200-950
    ABSOLUTE EOSINOPHILS......50.........NORMAL 15-500
    ABSOLUTE BASOPHILS..........30........NORMAL 0-200
    NEUTROPHILS.....................69.1%
    LYMPHOCYTES...................23.0%
    MONOCYTES......................7.1%
    EOSINOPHILS......................0.5%
    BASOPHILS.........................0.3%

Arent the low Eosinophils and Basophils a bad sign?

Last edited by playdrv4me; 04-06-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

The fasting blood sugar is high by US standards if the reading was 111 after a 12 hour fast. The blood sugar alone will cause vision problems when it starts to drop. Have you been tested for common or not so common allergies? Wheat and Rye allergies will really make some people sick and will boost the blood counts unnaturally. Dark circles under the eyes could indicate cardio vascular problems, allergies, or just family skin coloring.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
    playdrv4me
    Inactive

playdrv4me HB User

Hi Marimac, I was so hoping you would post...

I didnt fast before the blood was taken so thats probably a factor in that high reading. I posted my blood counts and amounts for your casual review in the above post.

Thanks,
    Ian.

Last edited by playdrv4me; 04-06-2005 at 06:22 PM.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:24 PM   #11
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by playdrv4me
    Thanks for the reassuring words,

I suppose the two things that concern me the most are the Floaters in my eyes and slight loss of vision in my right eye, especially when its dark, and the fact that I have dark circles under my eyes all the time. I dont know what to make of that.

And for everyones evaluation... here are my results from August...

CBC (INCLUDES DIFF/PLT)
    WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT....9.9....NORMAL 3.8-10.8
    RED BLOOD CELL COUNT....5.43......NORMAL 4.20-5.80
    HEMOGLOBIN...................15.9......N ORMAL 13.2-17.1
    HEMATOCRIT...................48.5......N ORMAL 38.5-50.0
    MCV...............................89.3.. ....NORMAL 80.0-100
    MCH...............................29.3.. ....NORMAL 27.0-33.0
    MCHC..............................32.8.. ....NORMAL 32.0-36.0
    RDW...............................13.3.. .....NORMAL 11-13.0
    PLATELET COUNT..............293.......NORMAL 140-400
    ABSOLUTE NEUTROPHILS.....6841.....NORMAL 1500-7800
    ABSOLUTE LYMPHOCYTES....2277.....NORMAL 850-3900
    ABSOLUTE MONOCYTES.......703.......NORMAL 200-950
    ABSOLUTE EOSINOPHILS......50.........NORMAL 15-500
    ABSOLUTE BASOPHILS..........30........NORMAL 0-200
    NEUTROPHILS.....................69.1%
    LYMPHOCYTES...................23.0%
    MONOCYTES......................7.1%
    EOSINOPHILS......................0.5%
    BASOPHILS.........................0.3%

Arent the low Eosinophils and Basophils a bad sign?
    There are no actual problems with having low basophils. It would be bad if the basophils were high and it would also be a bad sign if the Eos were high. As your doctors told you your blood work is all in the normal range. If you are still concerned keep an eye on your blood sugar count with a blood monitor and try to lose any excess weight by nutritious diet and exercise. You might feel better and you definitely would not harm yourself if you were eating nutritiously.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:15 PM   #12
    playdrv4me
    Inactive

playdrv4me HB User

Thanks for the reply Marimac I really appreciate it. Granted this was way back in August, but I was already experiencing a myriad of symptoms by that time.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #13
    playdrv4me
    Inactive

playdrv4me HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PattiAugs
    Your blood work looks to be completely within normal range. A blood sugar of 111 isn't very far outside of the normal range. The hospital where I work normal is 70-110. you didn't list your hospital's normals for that. As for your question about leukemia, since you labwork is completely normal, I wouldn't worry about that at all not to mention the fact that you've had symptoms for a long time now. I wish I had some other idea for you but I hope you get some answers and feel better soon.
    Thank you very much Patti.

It just seems like you can match anything up with Systemic diseases like Leukemia which is why it is so disconcerting to me. Like, for the past several months, Ive also had very very slight bleeding from my bellybutton (sorry not trying to be gross here), one day last may or so I scratched it too hard and it actually bled out, instead of just a little that dries up inside. Now of course, bleeding from extremities is a sign of Leukemia. Also, last week I was grabbing my head in a strange fashion and sprained my neck so bad the first day I couldnt look left at ALL. NOW 2 days after that went away, I am getting tingling and numbness in my pinky finger and the one next to it on the left hand. I am getting overwhelmed with symptoms!

Old 04-11-2005, 07:20 AM   #14
    playdrv4me
    Inactive

playdrv4me HB User

Well guys...

I may check into the ER today. I dont feel very well since last night and Ive developed two new tiny petechiae on my arm this morning. I am very worried about this. I only hope its not the worst.

Ian.

Old 05-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #15
    PlaDrv4Me
    Inactive

PlaDrv4Me HB User

Hi,

Thanks yes I just recently had a mildly positive ANA test (one of the many diagnostics for Lupus) so we are looking into that.

I wanted to post my latest blood counts from last weeks test:

WBC: 8.0
    RBC: 5.65
    PLATELET COUNT: 301
    HEMATOCRIT: 49.2
    HEMAGLOBIN: 16.5

I dont have the document in front of me so for now those are all the ones I was able to get.

Thanks.
    Ian.

Closed Thread