It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lorazapam & Buspar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2005, 06:40 AM   #1
    Leah004
    (female)

Leah004 HB User
    Lorazapam & Buspar

Hello,,,,I have a question please if I may. Currently I'm on Lorazapam. I like it and I find it helps me. But now my doctor is concerned about me getting/being hooked on it. So now he wants me to wean off of it and just take it at night before I go to sleep and begin taking Buspar. I've read a lot about Buspar and quite frankly it worries me that there are so many negative opinions about it. A big one is that people say it doesn't even work for them. It also takes longer to start working,,,,and just thinking about both of those things makes me even more agitated. I think I may just try this Buspar for a little while and still keep my Lorazapam too because it is too scary for me to be taking something that won't help me when I really need it. I think to myself it isn't the doctor who feels like I do.
    Sorry for the length of this,,,,,thank you if you even read it all.
    ~ Leah ~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Lorazapam & Buspar

lorazepam is a valium type med, anxiety sufferers rarely become truly addicted to these meds, despite what some say
    buspar is a tranquilliser of a different type that has been advertised as the non addictive alternative to valium type meds but this claim is stupid, IMO as buspar seldom helps much and is useless for panic attacks, also buspar needs to be taken every day whereas lorazepam can and should only be taken as needed

I wouldnt take lorazepam before bed as it wont last thru the next day and you may eventually lose the ability to fall asleep naturally
    tell doc you prefer lorazepam but will be cautious and will take it only as needed

anxiety sufferers all have their good days when little or no med is needed
    be thankful doc isnt demanding you switch to an antidepressant for your anxiety , many now are

Old 04-11-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leah004
    Hello,,,,I have a question please if I may. Currently I'm on Lorazapam. I like it and I find it helps me. But now my doctor is concerned about me getting/being hooked on it. So now he wants me to wean off of it and just take it at night before I go to sleep and begin taking Buspar. I've read a lot about Buspar and quite frankly it worries me that there are so many negative opinions about it. A big one is that people say it doesn't even work for them. It also takes longer to start working,,,,and just thinking about both of those things makes me even more agitated. I think I may just try this Buspar for a little while and still keep my Lorazapam too because it is too scary for me to be taking something that won't help me when I really need it. I think to myself it isn't the doctor who feels like I do.
    Sorry for the length of this,,,,,thank you if you even read it all.
    ~ Leah ~
    I am in the throws of a buspar nightmare right now!!!! It stops working after a year. I have taken it twice for two year periods. I was doing great until last week when I had the worst panic attack of my life!!! I just made an appointment with a Psychologist. I have Ativan?Lorazapam too but I can not function on it during the night makes me too tired.
    If you do try Buspar go in knowing (both my Dr.'s told me this) studies have shown it doesn't work beyond a year. That is where I am right now.
    As far as side effects for me I feel dizzy for a while and for some strange reason it makes me have to pee a lot? It took about 4 weeks to start to work. I take 15 mg twice a day. Another BIG side effect is vivid bizarre dreams.
    Let me know if I can be of any help xo

Old 04-11-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
    Leah004
    (female)

Leah004 HB User

Thanks so much hry33 and Bell 99 for responding to my post. You have both given me information I am grateful for and need to think about. I think I will try the Buspar, see what it does or doesn't do and probably go back to my Lorazapam. I don't think I am
    addicted to it, I take some everyday but I am so careful about my meds.
    I get crazy vivid dreams as well, though I was told that the Lorazapam is responsible for that, so can't imagine how technicolour and 3-D my dreams may be now with both drugs coursing through my body. *smile*

Old 04-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Best of Luck to you, let us know how you are doing with it
    I go next Friday to my first Psychologist appointment I am real leary and scared.

Old 04-11-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
    Leah004
    (female)

Leah004 HB User

I see a therapist every week Bell99,,,,and have gone through a lot of psych docs and psychologists so I understand why you are feeling leary and scared. It 'is' a scary thing to go in to a complete stranger and try to open up to them in hopes they may help you with what brings you to their office in the first place. I hope foremost you make a connection with her/him as I've found that is vital for a trusting relationship to be developed. Good-Luck to you and let her/him ask the questions if you find that easier ( I did anyway, especially at the beginning and during 'hard' parts ) Please take care and good for you for going,,,,takes courage.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:07 AM   #7
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    This is all new to me. I have reached a point where I am determined to beat this! I am willing to try and do just about anything to NEVER experience another panic attack.
    I feel like I am at war with myself and consumed with irrational thoughts of "what if's" 24/7.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:00 PM   #8
    pleasantville
    (female)

pleasantville HB User

buspar will not work at all if are taking lorazapam or any other benzo i found this info on the net. i was also prescribed buspar but have been on lorazapam for 6 years and when i researched buspar that info came up. my dr, eventually agreed that you would have to stop the lorazapam first which i am not willing to do since buspar did not look very promising.

Closed Thread