It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Wow!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
    sashaannm
    (female)

sashaannm HB User
    Talking Wow!!!!

Oh my gosh!!!!
    You guys were soooooo right, yall were wonderful! Im about 10 hrs post op, and I can see nearly perfectly! Eyes are a bit scratchy, nothing I cant handle though! Im in absolute amazement. i dont want to stay on here too long, but wanted to let you guys now I made it! I napped for about 4 hrs afterwards and just couldnt beleive it.
    Again, thanks so much for the support and will post later!!
    Take Care,
    Sasha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #2
    dreeeemer

dreeeemer HB User
    Re: Wow!!!!

YAY!!!! I am so happy you got a chance to jump on for a few minutes to check in with us and I am so happy it went well. I was thinking about you today and thought, it must be right about nap time (at least it woud be if you are an east coaster like I am!)You will have to check in again after you rest for the night!! I was so excited to get my surgery that it makes me really happy when other people are happy about theirs.

If you are a big dork like I am, in a few days (or weeks) you will put on your glasses to see how blurry it looks now. I put mine on with my eyes closed all the time and ask my Boyfriend if he remembers this person. He just laughs at me!! hahah! (Im such a loser )

Last edited by dreeeemer; 04-13-2005 at 05:45 PM.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:48 AM   #3
    sashaannm
    (female)

sashaannm HB User

Dreeeemer,
    Your not a dork or a loser!! I have actually already done that!!! Put on my glasses (with my eyes closed of course!) And my bf was just like I just saw you with them on this morning. In a few weeks tho he wont remember that girl! I was telling him that I wanted to take my old glasses and crush them!! But I wont. I think I will donate them to charity... I am on the east coast, FL actually But yeah, my best friend went with me and she watched the whole thing through this window, and they also had video screens that showed my actual eyeball and what they were doing to it. She said it took a total of only 6 mins!!! It was awesome!!! Thanks for calming me down! You helped me out a lot Im putting my drops in every 2 hrs, and am sleeping with the eyeshields on, too. Things are a lil foggy this morning, but Im positive I can drive myself to my post-op appt this morning, which I have to go get ready for now. i think the only gross part about it is, when I put the drops in, it kinda like runs down into my throat and I can taste it...Weird... But I can absolutely live with it!! Yay, Im so happy for us And for everyone whose surgery turned out great !!!! gotta go!
    Talk to ya later

Old 04-14-2005, 04:50 AM   #4
    sashaannm
    (female)

sashaannm HB User

Oh one more thing.....

Is it okay to clean the very corner of your eyes? I have this like white stuff in them, I guess from the drops. Or shld I just leave it until I see the doc this morning?
    Thanks!!

Old 04-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #5
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

sashaannm,
    Congrats! I am so happy it all went well for you! I did the same thing with my glasses too. And, just this weekend, I found them where I last left them, put them on and finally got to see what other people saw when they would try my glasses on. I can't believe that I was ever that visually impaired. Ugh! Hehehee!
    I remember how those drops tasted when they would go down my throat. I hated it too but, it was worth it.
    Did your doc suggest that you get Saline to clean your eyelids and the area around your eyes? Mine did. It has to be non-preserved and is not the same stuff as the contact solution. It is not, and should not say, saline solution on the bottle. I actually had to go to my local hospital's pharmacy and get a bottle there. It is the same stuff that doctors use to flush out flesh wounds. I was warned not to get it into my eyes (which trust me, you won't as long as you are careful) because it would burn like heck. Anyway, get a bottle of it and apply it very lightly with a cotton ball. Don't rub too hard or press. That will help keep your new peepers whistle clean and get rid of the eye drop crust. Do it for a month. You aren't allowed to use soap to clean around your eyes for that period of time.
    Congrats again and keep in touch!

Old 04-14-2005, 06:59 AM   #6
    dreeeemer

dreeeemer HB User

I'm glad to know I am not the only one dancing around her house with glasses on!! My BF would laugh his butt off if I told him that two other people do it too, so I think everyone probably does it!

I totally understand about tasting the drops! I thought for sure something was wrong with me, but I guess not!!

As for cleaning the corners of your eye, my Dr said that was totally fine, just wipe the corner gently and dont pull on your eyelid. In fact they didnt really say anything about things I shouldn't do, besides swimming (it was Feb. so I knew that wasnt going to be a problem!) and eye makeup right on my lids (b/c when I took it off, I would have to rub it)

Oh, and my mom watched the procedure on the screen and through the window too, she wasnt going to at first, but then she changed her mind and did. I didnt watch anyone elses, but now I wish I had.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

dreeeemer,
    I got my procedure done at Lasik Plus in GA. I didn't even know that they had the "Fish Bowl" where you could watch the procedures being done. I went in for my exam, watched a video with my back turned towards the "Fish Bowl" while my eyes dilated, then went and got the rest of the exam done. Then, a week later, I went in for my surgery. They have 2 waiting rooms. One is in the front with the reception desk. The other is in the back where the "Fish Bowl" is. There was no seating up front so the hubby and I went to the back and that is when I saw the "fish bowl" and got to watch about 10 being done before my time was up. I was freaked out at first to watch it and kept looking away thinking that it would make me more nervous. But, the more the doctor did, the calmer and more confident I got. I finally got a good look at the lid separator thing and the microkeratome tool to slice the cornea. I was glad, in the end, that they have the "fish bowl" because it was great comfort seeing everyone else go through it. While I waited for my procedure, I spoke to 2 other patients and, because I was the first procedure of the day on the LADARVision 4000 machine, about 6 people, including my hubby, got up to move towards where that machine was more visible and the screen that magnifies the eye could be seen better, so they could watch my procedure. Anyway, the "fish bowl" is definitely a plus. It is amazingly comforting and surprisingly so considering the initial desire not to watch. Hehehe!

How much of a dork am I that I still have the phantom urge to push my glasses up my nose now and then. Although, given that I still wear sunglasses (of course) I guess that it will take years before that phantom urge leaves. I get a giggle every time I reach up to push my glasses up though! Hehehe! Some habits just never die!

Old 04-14-2005, 12:06 PM   #8
    sashaannm
    (female)

sashaannm HB User

Hey !!!

I went to the doc this morning, my vision is 20/20 in both eyes!!!!Yipeeeeee!! I just cant get over this!!! I just sit around looking at the world!!!! AMAZING!! I am soooooooo happy I have done this, best thing Ive done yet! Yea, my boyfriend went to the appt with me this morning, and I just made him drive around for a cpl hours so I cld just look at everything! I dont wanna go back to work tomorrow!! I just want to enjoy my vision b4 sitting in front of the computer for 8 hrs a day Oh well, gotta pay for my new eyes! Hehe, I keep reaching up to try and take my glasses off my face, and they arent there!! lol. Im soooo happy for us!!

Take care guys!! (and I will get some of that solution to clean my eyes, hatingglasses!!)

TaTa

Old 04-15-2005, 08:05 AM   #9
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

sashaannm,
    Heehhehe! You sound like I did after I got mine done! Isn't everything outside so sparkly? Everything just twinkled like it was cleaned with window cleaner after my surgery! It was, and still is, so beautiful. Even on over-cast and rainy days, everything sparkles! I am so glad you are happy! I know the feeling about the phantom glasses thing. I still do it almost 3 months post-op. It makes me giggle every time!
    Take it easy and enjoy!

Old 04-15-2005, 07:17 PM   #10
    JoseAcosta
    (male)

JoseAcosta HB User

hehe, i wore contacts non stop ( well, except to go to sleep) for about 10 years straight, b4 that it was coke bottles from elemetary to highschool, ( sucked as a kid and teen ), , but i must say i guess i have the " phantom" effect as well, but except its with the contacts, everynight and everymorning, i keep getting the feeling like im forgetting something, like im committing a crime at night just going straight to bed, like for all those years i wasnt allowed to just doze off whenever, where ever, i had to take off the contacts, feels so great to just fall asleep directly, ( i hated having to take off my contacts, like when i wanted to nap, cuz then i'd have to work on getting sleepy again), and in the mornings , im still getting used to the fact that i didnt just leave my contacts on all night, that i can actually wake up and see clearly on first morning sight, its wonderful, i find myslef continually testing my sight, when i see small signs and stuff, my new eyes are so fun

ps: btw, 20/400 was no joke, i mean i could see and stuff, but was horribly blurry, i relied on the sun when going to like the beach to be able to see somewhat, since i had to take off my contacts, i could probably defend myself walking around my neighborhood, scrap trying to read signs , and if a car didnt turn on his headlights at night, i would probably not see it coming, to go from 20/400 to 20/15 in minutes is a miracle, i will cherish this new vision for the rest of my life, and thank god i finally decided to go thru with it

Last edited by JoseAcosta; 04-15-2005 at 07:24 PM.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:10 AM   #11
    dreeeemer

dreeeemer HB User

I am lucky that my sight wasnt as bad as your Jose, but I must say that it certainly felt bad living with it. I couldnt do ANYTHING without my glasses. I knew people with prescriptions similar to mine that went without vision enhancement of any kind!! I certainly coulnt do that. Once I went to get my hair cut to donate it to Locks of Love (10 inches!) and they made me take my glasses off. I could tell that people in the salon were watching me and knew that they were probably smiling at me and nodding and generally encouraging me when they were cutting, but I couldnt see them and had to just sit there with a dumb look on my face the whole time!!!

I dont have the urge to push my glasses up anymore, but I def. reached for them for awhile after my surgery. My big thing was that right after the surgery my eyes would feel tired and sore and I would think, Oh, i cant wait to go home and take my contacts out! but there would be no contacts to remove. I spent a lot of time on the couch with bags of frozen veggies over my eyes.

I love this board because I can talk about these crazy things with other people who have had it done. Another girl in my office had it done so we could talk at first, but I left that job and dont get to see her all that often. A lot of the time I wore contacts anyway so people dont even ask why I am not wearing my glasses, except people at my old job who saw me every day since I had pretty much resigned myself to glasses only in the past 6 months to a year.

For me the main reason for doing this was because I felt trapped with my glasses, sure I could wear contacts but they would hurt after a short time and wearing glasses to the gym was such a pain!! (not that I ever go to the gym anymore but that is a WHOLE other story!!) Well enough of my boring story. Talk to you all later!!!

Old 04-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #12
    sashaannm
    (female)

sashaannm HB User

Hows it going guys?

Im still on the mend, but soooooooo happy!! Im notcing now, 3 days after surgery that my eyes feel soo tired! My body isnt, but my eyes are! Which, I guess in turn, makes me feel tired. Its a weird thing to explain. But Im not complaining, cause I can seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Anyway, today my right eye started feeling like there was like a lash or a grain of sand in it or something, and I started freaking out!! I made my boyfriend check my eye like 10 times, looking for something in it, but nothing was there. This is normal though, right?? Its fine now, but Im so careful about not getting anything in my eyes!!!!! I still get nervous that Im gonna tear the flap or something!! That wouldnt be good! Tonight is the last night I have to sleep with the shields on, according to my doc, but I dont know if Im comfortable enuf yet!! I dont wanna poke my eye or my boyfriend accidently poke it!! How healed is the flap by now, do you think? Im sure it still very very fragile. How was it the first time you were able to rub your eyes? Was it scary? Hehe silly questions.

Gotta go guys,
    Take care!

Old 04-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #13
    kev225
    (male)

kev225 HB User

Yeah...you dont wanna have them redo those flaps, they had to redo both of mine the very next day because I had a wrinkle in both!

It's been 8 days now..and things are pretty good. Hoping my night vision improves in a hurry though..its awful!

Old 04-18-2005, 06:42 AM   #14
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

sashaannm,
    The eyelashy, grain of sand feeling is normal and may last for up to a month. At least, I think that is how long I had that feeling on and off. No biggie and worth the annoyance.
    When I was able to sleep without my goggles, I rubbed the first night. Actually, the last night with my goggles, I lifted them up in the middle of the night and rubbed. Fortunately, I didn't rub too hard. I don't know how healed your corneas are right now but, just really try to resist the urge to rub. I can't remember for sure but, I think I was told not to rub for a month. One thing I did when I was able to sleep without my goggles was to tie some string around my index fingertips. I figured, those would be the two fingers most likely to get fidgety in the middle of the night and attack my eyes! Hehehe! So, I put it in my head that if I got that first tickle from the knot in the string, which was actually a piece of yarn (thicker), then, it would wake me up and keep me from rubbing. It worked. It is weird how the mind works. Kind of like my own little unconscious warning alarm.
    As for your eye-tiredness, that is normal too.
    Don't worry about silly questions. We all asked all kinds of questions. I think I would have gone nuts before and after my surgery if I didn't have this forum. Ask away!
    Congrats again and enjoy your new peepers!

Old 04-18-2005, 07:49 AM   #15
    dreeeemer

dreeeemer HB User

Oh, yeah, I slept in those goggles for at least 5 days, and I knew it was pointless when I would pull them off in the middle of the night anyway so I stopped. But then I would wake up in the middle of the night rubbing my eyes. Try to wear them as long as you can, I felt so much more comfortable with them on, and it cant hurt anything to wear them.

I like the string idea, but mine would come off and then my cat would most likely have eaten it, so i just had to deal. Good if you dont have a cat that likes to eat every bit of trash off the floor like mine haha!!

This is my first alergy season with my new eyes... do have to say its not that fun, but I havent ever even had alergies before, so I am not sure if it is bad because of the Lasik or that is just how it is! Lots of eye drops being consumed in my house! hehe!

Closed Thread