It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Brother diagnosed at 36-scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
    mdrsurfer
    (female)

mdrsurfer HB User
    Brother diagnosed at 36-scared!

My brother, who is 36, was just diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. He had felt a lump near his waistline which he thought was a hernia but finally went into the emergency room one night when he couldnít stop vomiting. They did emergency surgery and removed a tumor, then they did the biopsy and found the cancer had spread.

Because that is so young I immediately made an appointment to get a colonoscopy (I am 34 and female). My appt is on April 15th. In the meantime I have been flashing back to any possible symptoms I may have had. When I was around 20 I had a LOT of blood in the toilet when I had a bowel movement for about a week. Everyone assumed hemorrhoids and I didnít see a doctor but it went away pretty quickly. I also suffer from mild IBS which is usually controlled pretty well by diet. Other than that my bowel movements seem pretty normal, but today I noticed just a tiny bit of blood on the toilet paper when I went to the bathroom. None in the bowl. Of course this is freaking me out and I just want to get this test done but Iím terrified there could be something wrong with me too.

I know the test is the best thing to do, but I wish I was having it tomorrow because Iím really nervous, especially now! Can anyone put my mind at ease that the odds of me having cancer are very low? I exercise pretty regularly and have a pretty good diet. I also donít smoke or drink too much. My brother, on the other hand, was pretty bad about that. Iím just so scared that more bad news would devastate my family.

Please reassure me that Iím probably just worrying too much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
    Ivana
    Inactive
    (female)

Ivana HB User
    Re: Brother diagnosed at 36-scared!

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. I really hope he fights this terrible disease. That said, i can certainly understand the fear and worry you are experiencing in regards to your own health. However, you don't seem to have any alarming symptoms that would point to colon cancer. I think someone on this board called what you have Cancer Head...the human instinct to think the worst possible thing is happening to us when in fact there's probably nothing to truly worry about. Some blood on the toilet paper can be due to so many things such as hemerroids or a fissure and those are not dangerous conditions. The best thing you did do for yourself is take an appointment for a colonoscopy. Prevention is the key. I'm sure everything will go fine and you'll be able to save your energy for supporting your brother. Best of luck

Old 03-30-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
    1longhotshower
    (female)

1longhotshower HB User

If you have mild IBS that fluctuates with diarrhea and constipation its not unlikely to experience a little blood possibly from a fissure from your bowel movements changing. BUT...some IBS has been mis-diagnosed from being colon cancer. PLEASE DONT LET THAT SCARE YOU. I was just letting you know. I agree with Ivana though you don't have any real alarming signs that point to colon cancer.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
    ktee_uk
    Inactive
    (female)

ktee_uk HB User

Sorry to hear of your brothers diagnosis. I hope he is ok with the treatment plan for him and that he is recovering well from the surgery. It does take quite a while.

You have done exactly the right thing in ordering your test. Try not to worry but focus on keeping your healthy lifestyle going and helping your brother. The time till your test will fly by.

good luck
    ktee

Old 04-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #5
    West Coast Girl
    (female)

West Coast Girl HB User

Wow - I can understand why you are nervous. I'm sorry to hear of your brother's diagnoses but he is young and will propbably come through just fine. One must remember that the symptons for cancer can be the same as those for many other issues. Also there are many people - myself included - that ate properly, never smoked, exercise, are not overweight and have no colon cancer in their family that do get this disease. So you are doing the right thing and getting checked out anyways. It never hurts to be on top of things where you health is at stake. You probably are worrying too much but I know how hard it is not to. You'll feel much better once you've had the test. Please keep us posted and send your brother my best wishes for a full recovery!

Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User
    Smile Re: Brother diagnosed at 36-scared!

Soooooooo sorry to hear about your Brother. I pray they will be able to help him.

My hubby had colon cancer at 39......and actually had it THEY SAY for several years before that.

They found blood in his stool after a routine Physical.

From there we went to Colon Cancer that had begun to spread. The biopsy even came back NORMAL...BENIGN.....but it was eating through the wall of his colon on the INSIDE where they were not touching.

He had a resection of about 13" and a year of chemo and 31 radiation treatments. We later found out that his BIOLOGIAL dad had cancer and died at age 34 with it. NO ONE BOTHERED TO TELL US.

His children (my hubby) had to start having colonoscopies at 10 years younger than their Dad was diagnosed. In their 20's.

It is very, very heriditary. Just do your Colonoscopies.....and be vigilant of any signs/symptoms. It is the SILENT KILLER. They stilll watch my hubby like white on rice, but he is 15 years out this year.

HE DID HAVE MELANOMA in 1999........................and that was more scary than the colon cancer. Melanoma is not curable at all.....and they never consider you cured.

Were they related.....who knows........we just know we've been there, done that twice and it is a very scary time. Without our FAITH we would have freaked.

Take a deep breath................and STUDY and learn all you can. Knowledge is POWER. AND see the DOC whenever you are concerned ....that's all any of us can do.

Let us know how your test goes. My husband just had his done again in November and he had new tumors again................he has them every time. They grow like weeds in him, so we are on it. That's all we can do is BE VIGILANT.

Hope this helps a little. Deep Breath..................stress will only make it worse. Yes, I know how hard that is.

BLESSINGS AND HEALTH TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

Old 04-17-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
    Deb401
    (female)

Deb401 HB User

mdrsurfer - I'm so sorry to hear about your brother - it must be so scary what he and your family is going through. My Mom was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer in May of 2003 - she had her chemo and right now she is clear and fine but going for scans every few months. I had a question about your brother's lump- what exactly was it - how big and where by his waist- because I have had a slight swelling on my left side a little below my waist that my doctor had just said it was probably a lipoma(fatty tissue) so I was curious what he had. I hope your colonoscopy went well on the 15th and that everything was fine.
    Debbie

Closed Thread