It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Signs of autism in baby?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
    EveningLight
    Inactive
    (female)

EveningLight HB User
    Signs of autism in baby?

After your child is diagnosed with autism, and you think back to his or her babyhood, what were the earliest possible indicators of autism that you saw? One report I read--maybe here!! said a mother knew from birth, as the baby fixated on a fan rotating.

I know some babies have normal growth and development and then it suddenly stops and they may regress. Apparently others are on the autistic road from the beginning. TIA for your input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 12:08 AM   #2
    jeffreys mom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jeffreys mom HB User
    Re: Signs of autism in baby?

Hi, I remember feeling uneasy when my son was about 8 or 9 months because he constantly moved his fingers in what I felt was a peculiar way coupled with the lack of social smiles that babies give. As he got alittle older, he didn't respond when you called his name. He was a very difficult baby all through infancy but I thought that was colic. He was about 13 months when I really considered Autism. He was 15 months when I said it out loud. Good luck

Old 04-19-2005, 05:22 AM   #3
    off kilter
    Inactive

off kilter HB User

Paul was Autistic acting from birth. The thought of Autism crossed my mine when he was only 2 or 3 weeks old. He refused to breast feed pulling away from me but while eager to take the breast milk in a bottle he still was uncomfortable being held close. when he began to focus on things he would focus on toys but never would look at us in the eye. He had a funny way of comforting himself right out of the womb ( rubbing his hands fast over him mouth) as a few months went by he would arch his back away from us when held. when he started laughing it was not at our funny faces but at movement or toys. With my older children I have fond memories of bring them into bed in the afternoon and them staring into my eyes and cooing back. I even recorded those precious sounds., but Paul was very quiet and would not relax laying next to me facing me but if I turned his back to me and he like to lay next to me that way. Paul was born the end of Jan. that Easter Paul was maybe 8 to 10 weeks old we got together with family and his cousin who was only a week or so older. We placed the boys next to each other on a blanket for pictures. Paul's cousin was going nuts waving his arms and legs in the air. big smile cooing and laughing at the picture taker. Kind of a look at me I'm here I'm here thing. Little Paul is quiet legs and arms at his side looking off to the side. The adult taking the picture making funny faces and sounds does not exist to paul. During baths in the infant tub paul stares straight facinated by the wall paper not the person giving him a bath. He became fasinated by ceiling fan. did not asked by putting up arms to be picked up. he would lay in his crib at night laughing at the light pattern cars light made driving by.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:39 PM   #4
    Beautifulchild
    (female)

Beautifulchild HB User

My first indication was that even at few months old my child would only respond to my voice. Alot of children do that with their mothers but this continued until about eighteen months of age. His father spent alot of time with him but he still would not respond to his voice. Most babies love smiling and talking to other people but he never even looked at anyone who spoke to him.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
    MOM23ANGELS
    (female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

i honestly had no clue until my sons 1 year check up. i just thought i had a very easy baby. his pediatrician asked me about cooing, pointing, clapping, waving. my son did none of it. i never thought of those milestones because he was such a happy baby. (smiling, laughing, looking at us.) he reached all his physical milestones on time but never did i think there could be something wrong. the doc gave him until 15 months old to do all those things and when it became apparent that he wasn't able to, he gave us a referral.

i thank God for that pediatrician. my sons 15 month check-up was our last visit to him because he was retiring. my sons current pediatrician thought i was overreacting until he turned 3. he's a friend of the family and i guess he thought he was making me feel better by denying that there was a problem.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:58 PM   #6
    jasiusmom
    (female)

jasiusmom HB User

Our son had a significant speech regression at 15 months which took us by surprise...HOWEVER... when I reflect...he was some a complacent baby. I remember my step-mother saying to me when he was really little "Hold him different, he doesn't make eye contact while feeding". He would also throw down and categorically reject any toy with a face on it.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:26 PM   #7
    rugbymom113
    (female)

rugbymom113 HB User

My daughter Paige is now 19. She was a premature baby (32 weeks). When she came home from the hospital, it became apparent that the only time she wanted to be held close was when she was eating (I breast fed). She was not a cuddler like the rest of our children. I too thought she was a great baby as she did not cry when she woke up at night. When Paige was 6 months old, I noticed that she was making strange sounds and she rocked in her crib. I remember thinking "If I didn't know any better, I would swear she is autistic". I immediately put that thought out of my head because at that time autism was not diagnosed until children were older. Paige started body rocking when she was able to sit up. She would literally rock the bolts out of the crib. We even tried a crib with a "stabilizer bar" diagonally across the bottom of the crib. She would rock out the bolts. Lock tight did not make any difference. Paige was diagnosed at age 7. Now I work in a NICU and we have diagnosed a newborn with early signs of autism or pdd. It is amazing.

Closed Thread