It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• What is Suboxone Withdrawl Like?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
    busterdog
    (female)

busterdog HB User
    What is Suboxone Withdrawl Like?

Hi I've been on Suboxone for 3 weeks, I take 16 mg per day. I can see dosing down slow will not be any trouble because it lasts a long time in your system.
    My question is when you do finally take that last pill, what symptoms can you expect? Is is as bad as Vicodin withdrawl? I was so sick after 2 years on that crap I could not stop on my own without being deathly ill and bed ridden for 7 days. Is Suboxone like that? Is it easier if you taper dowm slowly or just get off all together. I would love feedback from someone who's done it. My doctor just said everyone's different & no one knows how you'll react until you try it. I really afraid.
    THanks Erin
    P.S.-Suboxone saved my life! I was taking up to 40 7.5/500 mg of Vicodin a DAY. Once I got that Sub pill under my tongue I was "normal" again. You have to be opiate free for 24 hours before you start Suboxone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
    ScaredHelpless

ScaredHelpless HB User
    Re: What is Suboxone Withdrawl Like?

Buster,
    Unfortunatly I know very little about suboxone and its withdrawls, so I can be of very little help to you-but I'm hoping maybe you can be of help to me. I am currently taking about 80mg. of Oxycontin a day, I hate it I want to stop so bad, i can't do it on my own. I have read a little about Suboxone and I am hoping their is a ray of light and hope. Could you tell me a little bit about it? Did it help you that much?
    Anything would be so helpful! Good Luck with the withdrawls

Old 04-05-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
    moravek
    (male)

moravek HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by busterdog
    Hi I've been on Suboxone for 3 weeks, I take 16 mg per day. I can see dosing down slow will not be any trouble because it lasts a long time in your system.
    My question is when you do finally take that last pill, what symptoms can you expect? Is is as bad as Vicodin withdrawl? I was so sick after 2 years on that crap I could not stop on my own without being deathly ill and bed ridden for 7 days. Is Suboxone like that? Is it easier if you taper dowm slowly or just get off all together. I would love feedback from someone who's done it. My doctor just said everyone's different & no one knows how you'll react until you try it. I really afraid.
    THanks Erin
    P.S.-Suboxone saved my life! I was taking up to 40 7.5/500 mg of Vicodin a DAY. Once I got that Sub pill under my tongue I was "normal" again. You have to be opiate free for 24 hours before you start Suboxone.
    Hi. I am addiction medicine doctor and have a lot of patients on buprenorphine. When they withdrow, they say it is easyer than methadone, even easier than tramadol. you could compare that to benzodiazepine averse effect - like diazepam or alprazolam: no psychological problem, more somatic problem. But best part is that you could go directly to naltrexone that is part of Suboxone, and shorten withdrow period in days.
    We here in Europe have a lot of experiance in treatment, and I have a board (forum) specialized for expirience of treatment protocol - [url]www.moravek.net/forum/[/url]
    unfortunately, it is mostly on croatian.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
    2bclean
    (female)

2bclean HB User
    buprenorphine

I was on the buprenorphine for 8 mos back in '02 & '03. I experienced the worst withdrawals imaginable and they lasted forever- check out my earlier posts. The bup did little for the pain, and it is certainly addictive even if it does have a cieling. I could not get high like with the oxy but I sure tried.

So WHAT was the point in switching one bad habit for an even worse one? I got to see my dis- ease progress. Bup is most often given as an intramuscular injection and I got friendly with needles for the first time in my life. My bup doc is now in jail for pushing so many on the bup and hooking them. Mmmmm.... that says a lot - I THINK?!?!

I was very addicted to bup and know many others who got on this thinking it would be a miracle - until the decision to stop. When I went into the detox they took my hand and said, "You are very brave." They also told me, and I saw first hand, that my detox would be as bad if not worse than those that were there for Meth, never mind H and oxy.

Sub is dangerous enough, but the bup was pure hell. I could not abuse the sub. and sucessfully detoxed myself. This is my experience. I would ask the pain doc if he/she has every tried detoxing from bup. It IS the pain med in Sub.

-L

Last edited by 2bclean; 04-05-2005 at 02:22 PM.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:08 AM   #5
    mrgrateful
    (male)

mrgrateful HB User

I started on sub in mid February 05, after 2 years of a Norco 10mg habit that got above 20 a day. The sub worked like a charm. I felt normal right away, we began a slow taper. No bumps at all until now interestingly enough. Last thursday my "detox coach" called and said OK tomorrow go down to 2mgs I was fine and had never had a problem, so I was Ok going from 4 to 2, well a couple days went by and I wasn't ok anymore. I felt weak, achy, pissy all the great things we feel in wd. My wife called the place, you know I am way too macho to cave in at this stage of the game, lol. They prescribed clonidine which I believe is to lower the blood pressire and Hydroxyline pamoate or something like that which takes off that nervous edge, well I guess they worked, I still feel really tired and a little achy but I'm not jonesin' so that good, I guess soon I'll be at 1mg and then none, hopefully a couple of bumps in the road and I'm home free. I'll keep y'all posted....JT

Old 04-06-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
    christianmom

christianmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrgrateful
    I started on sub in mid February 05, after 2 years of a Norco 10mg habit that got above 20 a day. The sub worked like a charm. I felt normal right away, we began a slow taper. No bumps at all until now interestingly enough. Last thursday my "detox coach" called and said OK tomorrow go down to 2mgs I was fine and had never had a problem, so I was Ok going from 4 to 2, well a couple days went by and I wasn't ok anymore. I felt weak, achy, pissy all the great things we feel in wd. My wife called the place, you know I am way too macho to cave in at this stage of the game, lol. They prescribed clonidine which I believe is to lower the blood pressire and Hydroxyline pamoate or something like that which takes off that nervous edge, well I guess they worked, I still feel really tired and a little achy but I'm not jonesin' so that good, I guess soon I'll be at 1mg and then none, hopefully a couple of bumps in the road and I'm home free. I'll keep y'all posted....JT
    JT~

I just had to respond to this post because I'm EXACTLY where you are~ but I'm still suffering. I was doing great at 4 mgs. a day, but now that I've tried to go down to 2 mgs., after about 2 days I felt awful!!!! Just as you described. I haven't called my doctor yet, but after reading your post, I plan to. Hopefully he will give me something to help with this awful feeling. I truly feel like I'm in withdrawals already...just not quite as severe (as severe as the full W/D's one feels once going cold turkey, that is). The worst part for me is the "out of it" feeling I have right now...I have a very demanding job, and 5 kids that need me 24/7~ I refuse to let them down in any way just because of my stupid choices. Please keep posting regarding your progress...you are my inspiration right now and I need all of it I can get! I want to be off of the Sub. ASAP, and then I pray to never touch another mind-altering/addictive substance again....ever. You sound like you are doing AWESOME, so please hang in there. I'll be watching for your posts and I'll keep you in my thoughts & prayers, too!

Old 04-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
    mrgrateful
    (male)

mrgrateful HB User

Hey C.M. Thanks for the kind words, its pretty cool were at the same dosage, I have 8mg lozenge type things that I cut into quarters for 2mgs, I was supposed to cut down again today, but I'm not so good with the razorblade, so I'll have to get smaller mg lozenges, as suggested by the detox coach. I don't feel jonsey but as you said I feel tired and out of it, but I can deal with it again like you, too many people counting on me, keep up the good work.....soon to go to 1.5mg the lower the slower, but I just want out asap, oh well I guess I shouldn't fuss we've come a long way and still have a ways to go. Do feel like your face is on fire? Thats the only way I can describe it.....so ChristianMom I'll let you know I'm doin' and you do the same OK?

Old 04-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
    Gangstar
    (male)

Gangstar HB User

wow...all this stuff about Subox. I thought it was some type of miracle drug, as some make it out to be. now im having doubts! I called a Subox doctor about 2-3 days ago, he keeps calling me back. I need $250 and $100 for the next visit, I was debating if the $ is worth it. I havent taken any Oxy today... just a 10mg Methadone, so Im not feeling terrible. Tmw i'll take another 10mg, I have 4 more days of this...then HOPEFULLY, just hopefully, I'll be OK!

Wow, if the withdrawls are almost the same, then why is it better? I guess b/c it takes you off of the drug you were doing, ruining your life, and you can atleast start getting your life back...until tapering off of it? I dunno, I'm so confused, no one understands us -- this is all too hard. It's hard knowing that theres one little pill out there that'll make the whole day better!

Old 04-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #9
    2bclean
    (female)

2bclean HB User

There is no miracle cure for addiction or wd's. The sub did help me stop the drug seeking behavour. Though the withdrawals were bad, like JT I was not craving either. I just posted under a couple other threads, so I don't want to repeat myself and bore you all. I will reapeat that that there is HOPE and the PAIN DOES PASS.

Prayers and healing thoughts,
    -L
    - A dopeless HOPEFIEND

Last edited by 2bclean; 04-07-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User

Hi everyone, I am a mom, middle aged, who has been caught up in this nightmare of pill addiction for several years. I have been on Subloxone and now Subutex for a year and a half, unfortunately with many relapses. Finally, I decided NO MORE!! I tried going from 4mgs of Sub. to none. Well, after five days I was practically suicidal. I had no more sub left so I went back to my doc and told him. Now I am starting with 2mgs per day and will just take one as needed, probably every two days. Then after five days I will start the tapering down to 1.5, then 1 and 1/2 and none. Hopefully, I will do it. The doc told me that it takes two weeks of withdrawals if you go CT from the sub. So I hope that the tapering works. I have been so comforted by these postings. I have always felt alone with this problem and very ashamed, especially as a mom. I will be keeping in touch with people on these boards as some are going through the same things. Thank you all so very much for being so open. I hope you can help me really "make it" this time. Hugs to all of you.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:33 PM   #11
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

All I know is methadone was definatly trading an already very bad habit for a much worse one. And I do know that the two times i came off methadone it hurt and lasted for a very long time.

Old 04-19-2005, 10:36 AM   #12
    mxracer66
    (male)

mxracer66 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: What is Suboxone Withdrawl Like?

Hi all. I am new here and with message boards but have been reading them latley searching for answers to Suboxone withdrawal. I was taking 10mg Lortab 25 a day and was killing myself chasing the high. I went on Sub and have been on 6mg for 10 months. I decided to try a 10 day taper and thought I could tough it out for a couple days. Let me tell you, it was hell. I know people respond differently to Sub but I could not take it after 4 days. It was not getting better but worse. I have had short term withdrawals from Hydro and this was as bad if not worse. I went to my Doc and he made take a Sub right away and put me back on 6mg. I am going to stay at that for awhile and try a slow several month taper. I just wanted to share my experience trying a fast taper from Suboxone and I would not recommend that for anyone. Sub is a very weird drug. It saved me from spending thousands of dollars on Hydro and ruining my liver plus all the guilt and shame that goes along with hurting the ones you love. It really does work but I would suggest only being on it for a very short time (couple weeks) and a low dose or else plan on being on it for along time until it is determined the best way to get off it. I don't think alot of people, including Docs here in the USA really know enough about Sub yet. Hope this helps anyone looking for experiences tapering. We all have to be strong.

Old 04-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #13
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User
    Cool Re: What is Suboxone Withdrawl Like?

Slow and Steady...wins the race, well hopefully, anyway. I went from 4mgs yesterday to 2 today, so we will see. I would have liked to have gone to 3mgs, but I really have trouble cutting the tablets (they are 2mgs.) I am going to get a cutter from the drugstore, maybe that will work.

I tried going for four days with nothing (as I stated in an earlier post) but it was horrible. My body felt like it was so tired and heavy that I could barely move. No motivation, anxiety coming in waves over me and so very depressed, even though I am on an antidepressant.

I see that there are a couple others on this board who are just about in the same place, thank you all for being there, lets keep in touch on this withdrawal program. I do feel that the suboxone is a very positive way to quit. It really opens a window to a life that I once had and so desperately want again. I am almost glad that the w/d's from sub. are a bit difficult. If it was too easy I think it might encourage some to relapse knowing that the sub. is there for them, but I am feeling each little twinge and it just solidifies my quest for being "clean and sober".

I must say, until I found these boards I had no idea how many people have gone down this prescription pain pill addiction road. I felt so alone before, I thought I was the only one. Thank you all for being there and sharing all your feelings on these boards.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:13 PM   #14
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

I'm another "slow and steady"....so I am really happy to see this thread. What interests me is that so many Sub doctors (mine is a psychiatrist, specializing in addiction) can offer only tentative answers to specific taper questions. As qualified as they may be--they just do not know for certain how each person will react to a taper. It seems that every taper is different. Even the individual withdrawal symptoms vary widely (my toughest is depression, others sleep or anxiety, etc.). All that doctors can truly do at this point is observe and track what works best for each Sub patient...and hope that this tracking brings more conclusive results.

But, even if at times we see ourselves as "guinea pigs" re. life after Sub--a lot of us feel blessed to have been given this "second chance." Life was so much worse BEFORE the Sub. You sit there and watch your life deteriorate day by day....but you still pop those pills...because, after awhile, you just can't stop. And, until I found this board and discovered how many people share these addiction horrors, I felt so isolated--so cut-off from the everyday world. EVERYONE I saw from my window was a walking miracle to me--because that person didn't need pills to get out on that street!!

Thanks to this board, I learned that there was this drug out there called "Sub" (with or with the ingredient Naltrexone--I'm on Subutex)...and I went on the internet and read all the pros and cons. And, that led me to my addiction psychiatrist, whose help has made such a difference to my life.

One of the strongest positions she takes about getting off Sub is that you have absolutely got to have the patience to withdraw as slowly as your body "pleads" and demands. This is not a moral issue. Or a test of strength. This is our body telling us when it hurts so bad it can't function...and soon, it will start to demand its old drugs.

So, despite our own impatience with a long-winded taper, we are giving ourselves the best chance for success in as painless a manner as possible. And, most important, in a way that does not make us revert to our old habits.

The good news is that my doctor has many patients on Sub--all of whom were able to ease off it. We are talking about slowing down in infintessimal amounts, say, 6 mg a day to 5 and a half mg--over a period of several weeks, if need be. That a loooong time--but that is the kindest way for your body. (For people like myself with bouts of clinical depression--and I am on antidepressants, as well as Sub--jumping off Sub. too quickly can set off that old black monster. And my doctor has observed that once a person sinks into the depths of a depression....all the original determination and the will-power to stay off old drugs can just disappear. You are literally too depressed to care WHAT happens to your body.)

Even with just bad physical symptoms but no depression--if the body is too "sick"--you still run the high risk of calling it quits and going back to square one--those killer opiates. By withdrawing from the Sub too quickly--all your body and brain can focus on is--"stop the pain"! This is why she tells all her patients that a long, slow taper--listening all the time to what your body is saying--is the safest, most successful way to go.

With so little testing having been done on Sub withdrawal, we may soon know more than the doctors--just based on our own experiences!! That's why it's so important for us all to share what does and doesn't work....and to keep on encouraging one another here on the board.

Good luck to all...keep posting. Lynn :-)

Old 04-19-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
    2bclean
    (female)

2bclean HB User

Slow and steady did it for me. Like Lynn, I suffer from clinical depression. The good news is that at day 44 off of the sub, (Yes, I am on prozac and that is OK with me) I am feeling like living and am not in fear. I wanted to get off of the sub much more quickly than I did but by listening to my body and being aware of what was going on within me I realized that being on the sub for multiple months was my best alternative if I wanted to keep from going back to the other pills again.

I took crumbs, skipped days and had myself down to so little by the time I jumped off it was a relief to stop drawing it out. However, if I had not 'drawn it out' I can only imagine what a big jump would have been like... hell. When I came off of a high maintance of bup I was a total wreck. The slow and steady from the sub was challenging enough...but it is doable!

If I could have successfully detoxed without the sub that would have been great, but I was not ready for that. Some people may be able to make the switch from hydro or oxy but for me it was too much. I was so wrapped up in that cycle of addiction I could not see the forest through the trees. I am grateful the sub was there even though coming off of it was not painless and maybe worse than coming off of the pills. I know it sounds kind of crazy but this med certainly has its place and is helping many people as it helped me.

Funny thing, or not so funny - my psych. doc said I am the only one she knows of who has come off of it and was surpised I had withdrawals. Hearing this made me extremely grateful for the experiences I can read about on this board.

Good luck to all of you with the sub and other 'stuff' and thank you for being HERE!

Healing thoughts and prayers,
    L

Last edited by 2bclean; 04-19-2005 at 01:00 PM.

Closed Thread