It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board

• Flu Vaccine Reaction?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #16
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User
    Re: Flu Vaccine Reaction?

you're welcome piranna.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #17
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nastabasta
    just because you have some flu-like symptoms doesn't mean that you have the flu.
    Then how is the flu diagnosed in a person if not by flu-like symptoms?

Old 04-05-2005, 01:10 PM   #18
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

torch and anyone else who cares to know,

most of the time when people think they have the flu, they actually don't. they just have a really bad cold. if you have the flu, you feel a lot worse and most likely can't even get out of bed. you only have the flu if you are infected by the influenza virus.

as for your question about how the flu is diagnosed other than by flu-like symptoms:

one method of diagnosing the flu is by introducing the influenza virus (the virus that causes the flu) to a blue -colored polymer solution. when the virus binds to the blue solution, it causes it color to change to red because it absorbs blue light and reflects red light. so if a color change , from blue to red, is observed you know you've got the influenza virus rather than a rhinovirus (the virus that causes the common cold).

and that is how you can have flu-like symptoms and not the flu. you might be exhibiting symptoms of a bad cold, or another condition altogether.
    hope that answers your question.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:30 PM   #19
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User

Interesting!

I've been diagnosed with the "flu" several times in my life but not one single time did the doctor taking that sort of approach before giving me his diagnosis.

The diagnosis was sole based on my symptoms.

The flu shot contains the very strains of flu virus of the season.

If within a week to ten days after having received the shot, you would display flu-like symptoms and you were to go to your doctor, and if he were not aware that you had received the flu shot, he would certainly diagnose you with the flu.

On the other hand, if you mention having had the flu shot, the diagnosis would be a severe cold.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:14 PM   #20
    Doobeedoobeedoo

Doobeedoobeedoo HB User

Great point torch....MAKES SENSE!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1970_Torch
    Interesting!

I've been diagnosed with the "flu" several times in my life but not one single time did the doctor taking that sort of approach before giving me his diagnosis.

The diagnosis was sole based on my symptoms.

The flu shot contains the very strains of flu virus of the season.

If within a week to ten days after having received the shot, you would display flu-like symptoms and you were to go to your doctor, and if he were not aware that you had received the flu shot, he would certainly diagnose you with the flu.

On the other hand, if you mention having had the flu shot, the diagnosis would be a severe cold.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:17 AM   #21
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

torch,
    i never said that YOUR doctor uses that method to diagnose your flu,
    i was just answering your question. your question was how is the flu diagnoses if not by the symptoms? i answered by explaining one method.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:03 AM   #22
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User

Perhaps, nastabasta, ONLY your doctor uses the method you've described here?

Doobee....how about your doctor? Does he go to that sort of extremes to diagnose a flu?

Anyone else? I am just curious.

But since I've been informed now, I am wondering, maybe I have a dysfunctional doctor and should look for one that goes through elaborate tests in order to diagnose the flu?

Come to think of it, the last time *I* had "flu-like symptoms" was about 3 days AFTER a flu shot.

May not have been the flu but *I* DIFINITELY HAD FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS.

If at that time *I* would have gone to my dysfunctional doc (or perhaps a different one), not letting him know that I had actually had the flu shot, *I* bet *he* would any one of them would have diagnosed me as having the flu.

Just goes to show....ya can't trust em!

Last edited by 1970_Torch; 04-06-2005 at 11:11 AM.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #23
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

hey torch,

i'm not a doctor. and i don't necessarily trust my doctor all the time. you make me sound so naive!
    but once again, i was just answering your question. i was not attacking you nor saying that your doctor is incompetent.

there are lots of diagnostic tools out there that doctors have at their disposal and sometimes they choose to use them and sometimes they don't. but the point is that there is no cure for the flu virus anyway. plus it's not life threatening in a normal, healthy adult. that's probably why doctors don't go through all the trouble of running diagnostic tests for people like you and me every time we turn up with flu-like symptoms. if they did, the cost of healthcare would skyrocket and would be even more insane than it is now.

now, if i had an immunocomprised child or was caring for an elderly person, i would insist that my doctor be more thorough. but i'm a healthy adult , so i can just stay in bed for a week and hope for the best.
    you may have noticed that doctors more readily perform diagnostic tests for conditions for which there are cures or for those that are life-threatening. for example, if you take your child to the doctor with a sore throat, i hope that your doctor does a swab test to determine if she has strep, before giving her antibiotics that treat strep.

just out of curiosity, you said that the last time you had flu-like symptoms was when you had a flu shot. why did you get one if you don't think it works?

oh well, take care.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #24
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User

No nastabasta, I don't think you are naive! Quite to the contrary.

Gosh, I wrote a reply and now it's not here. What happened?

Anyway, I had the flu shot about 10 yr ago, when I had to do a lot of traveling and *I* was still naive.
    I had flu-like symptoms soon after it and have never gotten the flu shot again.

Generally I am a very healthy person and actually never get sick, so well perhaps it was a coincidence? Who's to say?

I think that maybe we've exhausted this subject and wanted to call a truce between us. What do you say?

Old 04-07-2005, 05:38 PM   #25
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

agreed!!
    obviously we are both intelligent people and very stubborn too
    we just happen to have different opinions about some things. that's ok. we can agree to disagree.
    btw, i have only had the flu shot once and i only got it because i have asthma and i'm a pre school teacher so i get sick all the time from the kids' germs.

take care.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:26 PM   #26
    TreHuginDrtLvr
    (male)

TreHuginDrtLvr HB User

Ok party people...there is virtually no way in hell to get the flu from the shot. Now...I know some of you think science to me bullshwag, and if so, don't even contact me.

There are 4 types of vaccine, all of which work with the flu. They are:

Live
    Dead
    Recombinant
    Toxoid

Killed: Take a form of the organism, IE, the flu, kill it 4 times past dead and inject it. A killed vaccine provides the weekest ammunity and your likely hood of contracting the flu later in the season.

Live: One of most effective- Place the organism in a tissue culture and allow it to multiply. Through natural selection and mutation, the virus will eventually become anable to cause sickness. You then inject that. There is a slight chance of this vaccine mutating back into the viral form, although very rare. It only happened once in history, back in 1918.

Recombinant: Take some organism....anything microscopic will do, pull out a section of it's DNA and replace it with the anogenic DNA of the virus. Extreemly strong immunity and NO CHANCE OF GETTING FLU

Toxoid: Inject the toxin from the flu virus rather than the virus itself. NO CHANCE OF GETTING FLU.

Congrats...if you live in the US, you will, more than likely, receive a Recombinant or Toxoid injection.

Thank you!

Matt
    Parasitologist

P.S. All you folks who say that a virus isn't alive...we'll...your wrong. A virus is alive when it can infect you, it is dead when it can't.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:45 PM   #27
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

thanks matt. i totally agree with you.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:21 PM   #28
    Doobeedoobeedoo

Doobeedoobeedoo HB User

You may not get the flu from the flu shot BUT, you'll more than likely get SICK from it!!!!
    I think the medical community likes to call the illness that you can get after a flu shot 'coincedence' or something like that...........................No thanks!!!!!

Old 04-19-2005, 05:43 PM   #29
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doobeedoobeedoo
    You may not get the flu from the flu shot BUT, you'll more than likely get SICK from it!!!!
    I think the medical community likes to call the illness that you can get after a flu shot 'coincedence' or something like that...........................No thanks!!!!!

Or a 'reaction' to those fine ingredients like aluminum, phenol, antifreeze, mercury, etc. ?

Closed Thread