It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board

• Due for tetanus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2005, 05:04 AM   #1
    1blueangelz
    (female)

1blueangelz HB User
    Due for tetanus

Hi all, I am due(past actually) for a tetanus shot. I have been doing alot of research lately on immunizations and I am a little concerned. Does anyone know what the side effects are of this shot? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User
    Re: Due for tetanus

i just had my tetanus booster two months ago. the only side effect that i had was that my arm was a bit sore for 2 days. i took a couple of advils and it was ok.
    hope you feel ok too!
    don't worry,it's not that bad.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
    Frynd1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Frynd1 HB User

I had my last tetanus shot in 2003. I was extremely over due (15 years to be exact) and had no idea what to expect. When I went in for it, I had to get 2 other shots at the same time because I was getting my vaccinations for massage therapy. The tetanus shot was the least painful. They all stung (for 10 seconds) going in though. My arm felt as if it had been punched for maybe 5 hours. The hep vaccination was the worst for me.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

The common side effects of the tetanus shot are the same as with most others... Soreness at the injection spot and possibly fever or general not feeling well for a day. I didn't have any soreness with my last one, but I did have a fever. However, I got the shot because of an infected cat bite, so the fever may not have been completely the fault of the shot.

Anyway, all of the serious side effects that you read about are very rare (like less than 1%). So, like anything, you have to weigh the benefits and risks. Generally, for most healthy people who have never had problems with previous vaccinations, and especially for more serious diseases like tetanus, the benefits outweigh the risks. If you are worried, you can discuss the risks with your doctor or nurse.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #5
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User

[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002031.htm[/url]

Look at the side effects and you can make your own decision. You may also find out how many people get tetanus because most adults are not up to date on their tetanus vaccine at all yet we don't have then falling over by the minute.

Most doctors have never seen a case of tetanus and it's NOT because EVERYONE is up to date on their vaccine.

How many people die of tetanus?

[url]http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/index.html[/url]

Fewer than 60 cases every year occur in the US a year (out of nealy 300 million folks)....and most of those people are elderly and/or immune-compromised.

Tetanus is something you may want to consider if you work with horses AND have poor blood circulation. Otherwise you will not be in danger of getting tetanus.

Basically tetanus can only grow in a condition where it is totally deprived of oxygen such as in a deep puncture wound that does NOT bleed. If there is one drop of blood - no tetanus.

Check out the 'extra' ingredients in the vaccine.

We don't need the aluminum that comes with almost every vaccine.

(Alzheimer? - No thank you!)

Last edited by 1970_Torch; 04-20-2005 at 07:52 PM.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User

I got my last tetnus shot about 6yrs ago and i remember my arm being sore for a couple days as well and where they injected the stuff it formed something like the size of a marble!! So i would suggest putting ice on it or something thats what i started doing and it made that thing go away, i doubt that's common it could be though

Old 04-26-2005, 02:09 PM   #7
    1blueangelz
    (female)

1blueangelz HB User

Torch, where did you find the info on if there is one drop of blood then no tetanus? Just curious on that.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:39 PM   #8
    1970_Torch
    (male)

1970_Torch HB User

Tetanus can only grown in anaerobic conditions. (That means it can not grow in oxygen.) Blood contains oxygen.

If a wound bleeds (even a wee bit) there is no chance of tetanus. And the vaccine after an injury serves no purpose whatsoever.

Children have very fast circulation and they bleed quickly when they get injured, that is why it is virtually impossible for a child to get tetanus.

It would have to be a deep puncture wound that does NOT bleed.

But you may be told that so and so many kids die each year of tetanus. That is in Africa where they have this odd practice to cover a newborn's umbilical stump with a mixture of mud and herbs. Of course those kids get tetanus. You can vaccinate the whole family and those kids will still die of tetanus.

Unless we educate the moms, children in Africa will die of tetanus.

But children in the Western World do not die of tetanus.

Closed Thread