It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Is ambien safe while nursing?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
    anxiousme
    Veteran
    (female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
    Is ambien safe while nursing?

Has anyone been prescribed ambien for sleep while nursing? I forgot to ask dr. if it is ok to use. It looks like it is not recommended when I researched on the internet. I'm just wondering if anyone's dr. has prescribed it before. I have forgotten how to fall asleep with the frequent night feedings. I'm so exhausted but can't seem to turn my noodle off!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
    jlc1012
    (female)

jlc1012 HB User
    Re: Is ambien safe while nursing?

My doctor perscribed Ambien when I was 5 months pregnant. He said the need outweighed the risks. I would still double check with you doctor though.

Old 04-25-2005, 06:30 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Don't bother with the doc,go right to a good pharmacist.i usually ask my pharm about med questions as most docs don't really know all there is to know about alot of the meds they Rx to their patients.Sad, but very true.A pharmacist also has access to all of the latest research and fidings on the meds way before any doc gets them.go see your local pharmacist.if for some reason they don't know off the top of their heads, they have access to tons of info that they can look up for you.Just a thought.**

Old 04-25-2005, 08:13 AM   #4
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User

I'm glad you posted this. I have the SAME issues. My little one is awake so much, I've developed a fear of falling asleep because I know I will just be up again in 2 hours to feed her. She's a month old tomorrow and has gained from 7 lbs 6 ozs at birth to 11 lbs 5 ozs and is exclusively breastfed.

I have some Ambien here that my doc gave me at the end of pregnancy because I had trouble sleeping from pelvic pain. I kind would think whatever would be safe during PG would be safe for BF'ing, but I don't know.

The problem with meds and BF'ing is who the heck to you ask? I noticed when BF'ing my first, different docs and pharmacists will tell you different things. I had to take pain killers when bf'ing my son for a back injury. The pediatrician said to only breastfeed if I was taking them short term. The OB told me they were fine because only 1/2 of 1% of anything you take gets into the breast milk. The pharmacist wouldn't tell me anything, and the GP told me not to take them at all. I think it depends on how lawsuit paranoid whoever you talk to is. It seems like everyone freaks out when a baby is involved. In my first PG I had to get my OB to call the dentist to get him to see me for a wisdom tooth abcess and I needed antibiotics. The dentist didn't want to give me anything. I ended up stopping BF'ing him because I was on the painkillers for 3 months.

This time I was on them again after delivery because I developed a uterine infection and couldn't even walk. I decided to take them, and took percocet for 2 weeks, and never really noticed any effects on my DD.

I'm tempted to take the Ambien, but still kind of worried. I may try to call someone today and let you know.
    DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 04-25-2005 at 08:15 AM.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:44 AM   #5
    anxiousme
    Veteran
    (female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User

siren1024- I have the same problem with asking doc's. Usually my GP, OG, and ped all tell me different things. AND our pharmacist around here don't like to give you any recommendation on taking a med or not taking a med. They just say ask your doctor. It is really frustrating. I have decided to take half an ambien (5mg). It has helped me fall asleep, however I can't get a full 7-8hrs so I have been a little tired the next morning after taking it. I wish DH could help more with the night feedings, but I hate asking him on a week night b/c he wakes up at 5am for job that he drives an hour to. I can't have a sleepy daddy on a country highway-it scares me.
    Also- I to had a uterine infection after delivery, I could not walk. It hurt like heck. I took augmentin and vicodin. I had taken both of those during my pregnancy.
    Let me know if you got any advice on the ambien from a doctor. Our ped told me to take benadryl, but it makes me toooooo drowzy. I can't function, that's why I like ambien.

Old 04-29-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
    brwneyez9
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brwneyez9 HB User

I took it while i was pregnant too. My OB gave it to me since i was having trouble sleeping during the pregnancy.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:07 AM   #7
    TulipDawn
    (female)

TulipDawn HB User

Actually, I asked my lactation consultant about taking something for sleep. Unfortunately since you need to nurse every 2-4 hours Ambian is not something you want to take unless you can get a full 7-8 hours sleep with no interuptions...this is to avoid possible side effects while awake (ie memory loss, drowsines, etc.).

As far as the effects on the baby the best place to ask I would be all three (your ob, the pediatrician and the pharmasist) if any of those three say something negative about it I wouldn't use it. Rather be safe then sorry...or go the ambien website and see what they say...call them also and ask.

Closed Thread