It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2005, 04:49 AM   #46
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User
    Re: Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

Sweet Angel,
    I have been on some sort of diet for my weight since I was a fetus!!! It is predisposed in my family so I really have to watch it. I have it under control but continue to try most of the time to eat a really clean healthy diet but as you read I am weak at times and eat crap. I understand its not always greener on the other side though, I would have been one of those people a few years ago that would have told you I would love to be your weight, but I became friends with someone that looks like a supermodel on the outside, but she stresses about weighing too little as well and she is almost 6 foot tall, so from being friends with her I realize how that can effect you just as much as being over weight. You can still eat a healthy diet and one that will help you gain weight. I would go to your local health food grocery store and ask for recommendations on a diet from the people that work there. Our local coop organic grocery store is great, the people that work there are very knowledgable and always willling to help and most work as homoepaths in private clinics as their other job. Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 06:27 AM   #47
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

Deltoro, congrats on your skin getting clearer! What is your diet like?

Old 04-21-2005, 09:46 AM   #48
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Thank You! I am getting there, everyday I make a little progress. As for my diet as a combo for maintaining my weightloss and trying to limit any extra toxins put into my body, so my liver doesn't have to work overtime to process them, and send the extras out of my body via the skin(acne) and better regulate my hormones..less cystic acne.. through diet I try to eat unprocessed organic foods and follow the FDA food pyramid to make sure I am eating a balanced diet. I try to do yoga everyday, it is good to squeeze toxins out of the body.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:25 AM   #49
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

Deltoro,

I have been doing yoga, as well. And, again, your situation sounds very similiar to mine. I not only eat well to stay lean, I eat well, more importantly, to be healthy. I, too, cheat and may order my french fries and chicken fingers. Although, I stay away from McDonald's. I am sure what I eat is no better, at times. What kind of yoga do you do? I, generally, do Bikram yoga (the hot yoga), but my Dr. said it may be aggravating my acne. heat causes more inflammation. I have not been doing Bikram since I started accutane, but , this week, I am testing it out. I really want to get back in it. I love the way I feel and how my body looks when I do it. On the other hand, my ND, said she didnt think the acne was aggravating it. She said it would be beneficial to do the Bikram to ...like you said... rid the toxins. I dont know which stand point to take.

Old 04-21-2005, 03:34 PM   #50
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

I can see both sides as well on this one, and because it takes two weeks for acne to form it might be that long before you know wether or not it would aggravate your acne. I guess it just depends on how worried you are about being broken out if it does, you know it will go away and you will be able to pretty much link to the two to realize it is aggrevating your acne so it can be eliminated. My acne when it was still mild was always worse in the heat and that is when and the only time I suffered with bacne. So its a roll of the dice on this one. Take a chance if you want or just stick with another kind of yoga. I do a ashtanga combined with a few other practices mixed in, basically what you might learn in a general yoga class with some more advance moves and combinations. Let me know how it goes!

Old 04-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #51
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Well crap, I am having a double whammy breakout here and fairly miserable. I am starting to have premenstrual stuff, I generally start feeling pms a week before my period starts, and this is when my breakout starts for my period, and I am a little over week two on my accutane day 18. So it is sad times for my face and I just feel tired and achy. The combination of what is going on really sucks! I know things will get better, just a tough day!

Old 04-24-2005, 12:20 AM   #52
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

Hang in there, Deltoro. Just know... there is a light (a huge light) at the end of the tunnel. See this as a "growing" experience. I am on Week 12 and I must say... I have seen dramatic results. Accutane is potent stuff... but, keep doing the good things for your body. Your body will repay you...HUGE! Keep your head up... and vent. That is what these threads are for.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:39 PM   #53
    Enfyniti1980
    (female)

Enfyniti1980 HB User

It took 40 days on Accutane before I seen any real results. Hang in there, though! The payoff is HUGE! My doctor gave me a baby dose of 20mg a day for the first month, then 40mg a day for the next 2 months. I'm now on day 86 and it's seriously a MIRACLE DRUG! Keep it up, you'll see results.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:04 PM   #54
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Hello everyone,
    Day 20,Times continue to be difficult, I started my period today, have a yeast infection and a face that is broken out! Yikes!!!! But oddly enough my spirits are high, I might have lost my mind so I don't know to upset about this all happening at once!!! I can't compalin, my pre menstrual surge is over so although my face is broken out, it continues to heal quickly. Most of my face is really clear just my checks are putting up such a fight! Anywho, till next time!

Old 04-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #55
    girlygal

girlygal HB User

hi deltoro
    Did u break out from the accutane? I will be starting in 10 days when I am back from vacation I wish I had started last month when I was supposed to. Hope your skin gets clear.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:51 PM   #56
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

No, I have never gotten a really bad intial breakout, although mine was severe from the start, my face just recently broke out from my hormones going wacky before I startrd my period, although possibly a combination of both

Old 04-26-2005, 05:43 PM   #57
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Day 21 I finally busted out my final blister pack until I go to the doctor for a check up. Just 9 days left on 40mg. I am nervous about upping my dosage to 80 a day. I haven't up until a few days ago had any dryness or peeling on my face, but I do have a bit right now, nothing that is bothersome, I actually welcome it, shows signs of progress. I am feeling much better today, sorry for the nervous breakdown in my post yesterday, pms sucks! Is anyone else using a moisturzer that they recommend? Suzy what is it that you are using that just has a little bp in it that you where so pleased with? I am not loving cetaphil face wash or moisturizer!

Old 04-27-2005, 06:22 AM   #58
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User

Hey all! Im on accutane.. or the Generic version called Claravis. Its working great for me!! Im a 23 yr old female and had a ance prob sinse high school but it didnt start getting kinda bad till I was 21. Im on day 115. A couple weeks ago I had like 2 very small white heads that went away the next day! thats it..Before... I had cyts, Id get pretty big ones sometimes, and I got them on my back an chest sometimes too. it was weird they would just move all around but never be in all 3 places at once. then it started gettin worse! I did get as much as some people with real bad acne got but my derm said mine was severe enough in the kind it was (cysts) anyway... I also have really oily skin. sinse on accutane my skin has not gotten too oily at all! I LOVE IT!! I did get dry but not that bad I think because of already having oily skin. Side effects have been very tollerable. I never had an initial break out... my lips get dry but not to the point that i look flaky.. my face was kinda annoying and flaky around my mouth for a while but lately that hasnt been a problem. I also have had some joint pain sort of. I work out and do Aerobics soo I think you just get sore easier.. I have an ache back anyway so that has been bothering me a bit more.. I have about 2 months left! Im on 60 mg now. I started @ 40mg. I think accutane is great, I know there are these side effects. I think why it feels like your signing you life away is the pregnancy issue. I did a Serious BUTT LOAD of research on the net... I think the 1st few years of Accutane or so they had issues with women not taking the DONT GET PREGNANT issue serious. I read some stats and there was waaay too many women that had to get abortions and stuff because they didnt listen. they are just trying to be safe sinse that is the worse thing that could happen is.. having a baby with issues because of the med.

Old 04-27-2005, 01:43 PM   #59
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

hey deltoro! glad to hear you're doing alright with the tane. 'they' always say to use the cetaphil, but i'm too scared to use anything that isn't formulated specifically for acne. i've been using murad's acne cleanser, it's really gentle, but has a 1.5% sa to keep down swelling and bacteria. also, since my doc upped my dose to 80mgs a month or two ago, the dryness has become quite apparent. embarrassing, almost made me want the acne back! haha. seriously, huge patches of dry skin, right around my mouth in particular, and anywhere there was a pimple, it was sooo gross! picking the flakes off does NOT help, but it will give you gooey, bloody little 'owies' as my son says. also gross. now i put aquaphor on the dry patches at night and scrub them off with some of that st. ives stuff in the morning, and use murad's 'skin perfecting lotion' before my foundation, clinique, superfit makeup, i think. working like a charm, not a drop of cetaphil to be found. and clindamycin lotion before everything, night and day. for the occasional spot treatment i've been using murad's sulphur spot treater, not sure what it's called, at night only.

btw- i'm not necessarily a murad devotee, that was the last otc product that i tried before getting on the tane, so i have plenty of it. it works, smells good and lasts a long time. i still haven't decided if i'm going to reorder when i run out.

but deltoro, i'm 99% clear!!! i never thought it would happen for me. it is like a miracle. i still have the red marks on my cheeks and jaw from the cysts i got in november, december and january, but they are so much easier to cover than the cysts were, lemme tellya! i sooo hope this happens for you, it's amazing to look (almost) like a real girl (as such) again. i still avoid mirrors, but am not horrified when i do catch a glimpse, there's not a monster there anymore. it's been 5 1/2 months now, hopefully i can get off this stuff soon, i'd like to enjoy a frosty adult beverage sometime.... *sigh*

best, ali

Old 04-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #60
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Holy Crap Ali! This is the best news I have heard all day!!! I am so happy for you that you are finally clear! I understand what a relief it must be for you, mine is just a bit better and I can already feel the weight lifting, I don't have to spend as much time covering stratejically applying makeup! I hope my results are as great as yours! I am clinking an imaginary bottle of red stripe (my fave beer) to you and your clear skin!!! Happy Times!

Closed Thread