It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Yasmine questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
    Nes315
    (female)

Nes315 HB User
    Question Yasmine questions

Hi,i just started taking yasmine, its only the fifth day. i heard alot of positive things from it but ive also heard some very negative ones. i dont wanna gain weight and my doctor said that it can help wth people who have a porblem with gaining weight. although i dont have a problem with gaining weight i would also like to not gain weight either. i was on orthotricyclen before i switched to yasmine and didnt have any problems with it physically but emotionally it had me up the walls! can anyone tell me the positives about yasmine and some of the down falls. does it really make you have dark patches on your skin? does it really make your breast increase in size?(that would be a positive ) my friend has been on it for about a year and she's said its like not even being on a birth control! she says its been great on her skin, hasn't made her gain any weight, but has increased her size in the twins... has anyone else had a positive experiance like hers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
    RICH7

RICH7 HB User
    Re: Yasmine questions

I had a horrible experience on Yasmin. I do have a dark patch on my face too. I didnt know what it was until I read all the info. in my pill pack...and it said it could do that. It does not look pretty that is for sure. But that was the least of my worries with Yasmin.

My problems were... anxiety, depression, panic attack, and at the end...chest pains. It was horrible. I was only on it for a little over 1 month. At first I just started out being extremely tired and could barely get myself motivated to get out of bed, or get ready for work or cook something to eat or anything....and then I felt really nervous and jittery. Just didnt feel like my normal self. I started to feel myself get bothered by little things and my moods were changing.

My breasts did get fuller. Which I didnt want to happen because I am already as big as I would want to be.

I am so glad to be off of that pill. I thought I would do really good on it because my doctor said that most women do well on it and they have less complaints on Yasmin. But it did the exact opposite for me. IT WAS BAD.

You just never know how things will effect you...I honestly think that it was just a little too much for me. I switched to ortho tri cyclen lo. Almost finished with my first pack now and so far ...feel fine.

Although I used to take ovcon35 years ago. And I never thought that it had any effect on me then....but I was young and now that I look back on it. I think it caused me some mood problems and anxiety. I dont know.

All the pills have the potential to cause negative outcomes. But you just have to try them and see. Everyone is different.

All I know is...I did see a major difference in how I felt on Yasmin...and it was not pleasant.

Good Luck

Last edited by RICH7; 04-29-2005 at 10:44 AM.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
    kay21
    (female)

kay21 HB User

NES315, I guess every woman is really different. How long has your friend been on Yasmin? I have been on Yasmin for a little more than 3 years. For the first year I was on Yasmin, I did have a few side effects, but besides the breast tenderness and nasea, I did not correlate the other side effects to the pill. I am now realizing that a lot of my health problems may be attributed to Yasmin. I have posted here in the past which provides a detailed description of my health problems, but here is the summarized version:

My symptoms include: stomach problems (abdominal pain, IBS, etc.), urinary problems (bladder spasms, frequency, urgency, pain- with no lab tests indicating infection), vaginal problems (pain with intercourse, vaginal dryness, loss of libido), severe anxiety, depression, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, rapid heart rate, muscle aches/pains, etc.

The positives of being on YAsmin include: regular periods, lighter periods, shorter periods (maybe 3 or 3 days), less severe cramps (although I still get cramps), and improvement with acne.

Again, every woman is different. You may want to search the web. I was shocked when I read about other women's experiences with Yasmin. HOwever, I am still on the fence of whether or not I should continue Yasmin. At least until I see another doctor. Then again, I have already seen seven (3 GYNs). And no GYN is going to attribute my problems to Yasmin...that's their money maker.

Old 05-01-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
    LeeRB
    (female)

LeeRB HB User

I had recurrent UTI's on Yasmin - urinary tract infections. I even had what is called a "recurrent hematuria", trace blood in the urine. I did some figuring and realized that it was when I went on Yasmin that all of this started. I went off the pill, was off it for only about 3 weeks, went to my urologist and he said that my blood was totally negative this time. I asked what was the correlation between the bcp and UTI's? and he said that the pill changes the mucous lining in the vagina, and also changes the PH balance and that this change/bacteria can get into the urethra and cause problems. Gee, I wonder why my gynecologist never mentioned this to me, knowing that I've been seeing him for periodic UTI's too? It seems people nowadays have to diagnose themselves half the time!
    Hope this helps. Plus, I gained 10 pounds on Yasmin that I'm still trying to lose!!

Closed Thread