It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Antinuclear Antibodies "Direct" Lab Test?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
    kristinah

kristinah HB User
    Antinuclear Antibodies "Direct" Lab Test?

Hi there - My mom has a history of lupus and just switched doctors. The new doctor did her ANA and it came back in a result we weren't familiar with. We usually get the reflex w/titer result (i.e. 1:320 speckled, etc.) but this time the test was called "Antinuclear Antibodies Direct" and just had a number (72) and a reference range in ml, with below 100 being negative (or normal). Does anyone know if this lab test is just as accurate? It's hard for us to believe because it gives her her first "negative" result in years, meaning no ANA activity above normal. Thanks for your thoughts!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
    Nanasraggedies
    (female)

Nanasraggedies HB User
    Re: Antinuclear Antibodies "Direct" Lab Test?

I had this type of result on my ANA test also. My number was 235 and less than 120 was normal. I don't know what it means either. I too, would be interested in hearing from someone who knows about this type of result. I have an appointment on May 24th because of the results of this test.

Thanks,
    Mary Ann

Old 04-30-2005, 08:25 AM   #3
    help0001
    (male)

help0001 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nanasraggedies
    I had this type of result on my ANA test also. My number was 235 and less than 120 was normal. I don't know what it means either. I too, would be interested in hearing from someone who knows about this type of result. I have an appointment on May 24th because of the results of this test.

Thanks,
    Mary Ann
    I haven't had the same test to you, but its funny that you've got an appointment on May the 24th because the day after I have an appointment to discuss my higher than "normal" ANA result. At first, the receptionist who told me my results said they was fine however, it turns out that my ANA result has "flared" and come back "positive" its way over the normal levels apparently. And the Doctor added a whole paragraphs worth of notes, because he did loads of tests for lupus.

I am glad it has come back though, because at least I know, the pain I had I wasn't imagining. I still have it now, so I am hoping it'll get sorted.

Good luck with the appointment on May 24th.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
    kristinah

kristinah HB User

Good luck to both of you. Unfortunately, I still can't find the info to answer my question.

Closed Thread